Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2014 7:34:05 PM EDT
I've been fishing a small river, maybe 15 feet wide on average.  Great time.  Lots of nice brown trout.

I've been using my one & only fly pole: a 9ft Sage XP 5wt rod. I do OK, except for lots of getting hung up in the trees.  However, I broke my pole last time I was out.  Sage is going to issue a replacement per the awesome warranty, but I'm without a pole until then.  I thought it was a great excuse to go get the right tool for the job: a smaller 7'5" rod.  I've been reading about the merits of full-flex vs. tip-flex rods for small steam fishings.  My XP is a fast rod, but I can see how a slow rod might give better control when there's only a little line out of the tip.  

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:42:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Slow rod will load up immediately.  Seems like a no-brainer.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
My all time favorite small stream rod was my 6' 4wt split bamboo rod. Slow as molasses but I could roll cast my way up any small stream and never get into the abundant trees. A slow rod is a much better tool for working in close. As an option you can over line a faster rod to help the load in close. But it will never give that slow goodness feeling...
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 12:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Full-flex 4wt is a good choice.  I always seem to pick up my Orvis Superfine 7'6" 4wt for small rivers, tighter spaces.  Of course, it takes me a few "wind knots" to remind me to slow the casting and let the rod load up.  My fault, not the rod's.  Roll casts are a cinch.  Don't pass up a small 2wt or 3wt if it's a good price though they generally come as 2 piece rods.  They make a small brown seem big (well at least, bigger).
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I ended up buying a Sage 476-4.  I test-casted a few other rods at the shop, mostly to get a feel for a slower rod. Then I tried to Sage 476-4 and it was amazing how much better it fit my style (which has adapted to a 9' Sage XP).

On the river I used my 5wt line, which flexes the 4wt rod a little bit more than spec. It's a little tail-heavy with the larger reel, but it wasn't noticeable at all when I was fishing. The rod had lots of backbone to cast as far as I needed (probably ~30ft max casts), and lots of control at short distances. I caught about 6 fish. Catching little river trout on a 4wt pole is a lot more fun than a 5wt pole. It's amazing how much better I could feel them in the fight.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:27:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Catching little river trout on a 4wt pole is a lot more fun than a 5wt pole. It's amazing how much better I could feel them in the fight.
View Quote

Amen.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#6]
For what you describe I use a short Okuma 3 wt. The rod was cheap like 90 bucks but I keep choosing it over my TFO and orvis which are 2-3x the cost. this rod is AWESOME for small streams. If you are nymphing it loads up nice and fast it takes a little more work with dries due to its short length. But I love it.

Actually it looks like they lowered the price ALOT. I found it for $37 Im going to pick up another one as a backup.

http://www.tacklehaven.com/products/OKUMA-CRISIUM-FLY-RODS.html
Link Posted: 10/13/2014 6:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
$37 ?

Yeah... that's worth a try.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#8]
i like a fast and slow rod dependin on terrain. In a fairly open stream i use a med action, but with overhanging brush, trees, etc. I go fast action. tight loops lets you cast under overhangs. And if its set up my rod, gets some distance on roll casts
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i like a fast and slow rod dependin on terrain. In a fairly open stream i use a med action, but with overhanging brush, trees, etc. I go fast action. tight loops lets you cast under overhangs. And if its set up my rod, gets some distance on roll casts
View Quote

This is correct for your situation.  I would also go toward a 7'6" or shorter rod for such a small stream.  3 or 4 wt. unless its stocked or hold lots of large fish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:59:08 AM EDT
[#10]
For Shenandoah backcountry streams I like a short rod with a fast action. Spend a lot of time avoiding mountain laurel and general brush all along the small Brook trout streams. For something small and open, like in the Rocky headwaters, slow would be a better choice for the line pickup.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My go to small water rods:

Link Posted: 2/12/2015 11:50:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my my Sage SPL-3 wt for small river brook trout fishing. May be partial to that one because it was the first one I built.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
$37 ?

Yeah... that's worth a try.  Thanks!
View Quote

No kidding!

I just ordered one too. I was in the market for another rod and for that price I'll give it a shot.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:12:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For what you describe I use a short Okuma 3 wt. The rod was cheap like 90 bucks but I keep choosing it over my TFO and orvis which are 2-3x the cost. this rod is AWESOME for small streams. If you are nymphing it loads up nice and fast it takes a little more work with dries due to its short length. But I love it.

Actually it looks like they lowered the price ALOT. I found it for $37 Im going to pick up another one as a backup.

View Quote

Are the Okuma reels decent for a backup/buddy rod & reel?  The price is appealling.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Are the Okuma reels decent for a backup/buddy rod & reel?  The price is appealling.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I by no means am a fly rod expert, but I ordered the Okuma and got it two days ago. At least from what I could see as for the workmanship and finish, the rod looks great. I plan on going this weekend and trying it out.

I was in the market for another fly rod, but when I saw the price I had to give it a try.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:07:02 AM EDT
[#17]
To be more specific, I'd be interested in the larger Okuma reels for saltwater use which I've been reluctant to get into because of costs.  

While it's always nice to have a high quality reel, it's really not necessary for the lower weight lines.  My free hand or a finger is often my drag "system."
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:49:31 PM EDT
[#18]
That's a great price. I might pick up the SLV, though. I'm more of a 4-pc kinda guy.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#19]
For really small streams, I pick a rod based on how many trees I have to contend with and therefore the length of rod is more important than the flex (for me).
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:08:02 PM EDT
[#20]
My small stream trout rod is a 7'7, 4wt Scott F2  3piece fiberglass with a Battenkill reel. Loads nice at shorter distance, roll casts nicely and can poke it out there if it needs too.

J-
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For Shenandoah backcountry streams I like a short rod with a fast action. Spend a lot of time avoiding mountain laurel and general brush all along the small Brook trout streams. For something small and open, like in the Rocky headwaters, slow would be a better choice for the line pickup.
View Quote

For the Shenendoah National Park brookies or for similar small streams and fish I like my 6'11" 3wt Scott designed by Murry for those waters. It is a fast action rod perfect for dry flies. It'll fish small nymphs but early season when I expect to do more nymphing I like my 7'6" 4wt Loomis GL 3 which I would call a medium fast action. The GL 3 was Loomis' "budget" line about 20yrs ago. And the 7'6" 4wt is a nice, easy to fish, versatile small stream rod. The Scott is more specialized, but perfect for what it was designed for.

I find more accuracy with the faster rods, and on the small, tight streams your target might be the size of a tea cup.

JPK
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top