Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2016 10:56:20 PM EDT
Are you a gear guy, one who has a forceps, a knot tying tool, clippers, stream thermo, 6 kinds of tippet mat'l and on and on or not?

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Me, I used to carry more stuff but in the last couple of years I have simplified it. Carried extra this and thats and never ended up needing any so screw it, leave it home.

I carry a forceps for pulling hooks and it also does double duty as a line cutter. I don't carry anything for repointing hooks, if I need to I grab a stone out of the river and use it.
I gave up carrying a stream thermo. Not much you can do about the water temps, If I got time and want to go fishing I will. Usually only carry one extra tapered leader if I'm using tapered leaders. I usually will carry 2 maybe 3 spools of line for tippets/leaders. depending upon how clear the waters and and how high. 6lb is the lightest I'll ever use and 12 is the heaviest. Usually carry only 8 and 10.
I don't carry a wading staff, at times its very helpful when the water is fast and dirty, but I find a stick along shore and I'm good to go. Don't wear a vest but I do wear a Simms weather proof jacket with a couple of pockets. Keep my forceps, fly boxes, tippets and usually there is a rock in one of the pockets for repointing hooks in it.

I keep in my car tons of flies but only carry 2-3 boxes with me. I'm going to trim that down to 2 I think. I fish in an area that your not far from the car and you use the car to jump from spot to spot so if I need something that I'm not carrying its only 10 minutes away at the most. I don't keep extra rod or waders in the car. I'm only 20 minutes from home. I also carry a net. Just so I don't have to handle the fish and I can get the hook out and get the fish back on its way without it ever leaving the river.   Thats about it.

I find I have more enjoyment going light with the min. amount of stuff. Take a quick inventory before I leave the house, waders, rod, jacket, box of flies, check, I'm ready to go.

I get to the river and gear up very quickly and I'm ready to go. If I'm fishing with a buddy I'm always waiting on him.

How about you?
How do you go?
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#1]
I used to wear a Simms Guide vest and carried everything but the kitchen sink...blood knot tyer, knot coating, line dressing, blah blah...  I now carry way less in the way of tools and gizmos, but I still carry quite a few flies.  I carry everything in a little Redrock sling pack, which is pretty much the same as a Maxpedition Fatboy.  Way less obtrusive than a vest and much more comfortable.

Dave
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#2]
In saltwater, I probably carry too much in the boat or kayak. Mostly a bunch of flies, Boga grips, pliers and nippers. In freshwater, I have nippers, hemostats, fly boxes and a few tippets & leaders. I'd rather have it and not need it than vice-versa.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:31:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a filson harness/vest Mom bought me.

Wading staff

Net

3 boxes (dries, nymphs, and streamers)

Tippets (3x, 4x, 5x, 6x and a spare 4x, 5x)

1 pocket of indicator stuff

floatant and drier

forceps

sharpener

One zinger w/ nippers and 2 containers of splitshot (#4 and BB tungsten)

There may be more in there, but that's what I need to get through the day.  I uh drink from the stream when I get thirsty.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:40:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry whatever whatever fits in my front wader pouch (fly box) and a cool neck lanyard with my forceps, tippet and nippers.  I have a nice fish pond vest I use when I canoe but for wading I go fast and light.

My lanyard is similar to this:  

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In saltwater, I probably carry too much in the boat or kayak. Mostly a bunch of flies, Boga grips, pliers and nippers. In freshwater, I have nippers, hemostats, fly boxes and a few tippets & leaders. I'd rather have it and not need it than vice-versa.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I've gone from a vest to a waist pack, but the thing is still stuffed full (lol).  I've tried to minimize it several times but; damn I hate to get out on the stream and not have what I need.  I also carry a wading staff, as now I'm older and not as steady on my feet in stronger currents.
Top Top