Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2017 5:45:50 PM EDT
Anyone tried these. Seem like a great idea. Has high, low for normal lantern use and perimeter light on and then light with alarm. Seems good not sure how sensitive the motion sensor is.
Camp guard
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#1]
You're gonna have to provide a link so we have an idea of what you're talking about.

This will get you going

Sleep soundly, knowing CampGuard's Security Lantern will alert you if anything is amiss at camp. 360° motion-detection system automatically switches on the light or alarm when it detects movement within 35 ft. Choose to set the lantern at 100 lumens, 200 lumens, 300 lumens or 300 lumens with alarm. High-decibel alarm is specially designed to scare off dangerous animals or unwanted intruders. After 15 seconds without movement, the lantern shuts off the light and/or alarm but continues to monitor the area. Ultrabright Cree LED and rugged rubber-coated ABS-plastic housing. Powered by four D batteries (not included) for up to 200 hours of run time. Manufacturer's limited three-year warranty.
10.3"H x 6"W x 6"D.
Wt.: 3.2 lbs.

Interesting concept, but I'd like to know how it works in real world applications.  What if it's windy?  Will blowing leaves set it off?  3.2lbs plus battery weight is pretty big if you're hiking, obviously.  Maybe it's designed for hunting camps or something where folks are driving in?  I'd hate to be woken up by an alarm if a bird flies through camp, lol.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you like sleep? Cause this is how you don't get any.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're gonna have to provide a link so we have an idea of what you're talking about.

This will get you going

Sleep soundly, knowing CampGuard's Security Lantern will alert you if anything is amiss at camp. 360° motion-detection system automatically switches on the light or alarm when it detects movement within 35 ft. Choose to set the lantern at 100 lumens, 200 lumens, 300 lumens or 300 lumens with alarm. High-decibel alarm is specially designed to scare off dangerous animals or unwanted intruders. After 15 seconds without movement, the lantern shuts off the light and/or alarm but continues to monitor the area. Ultrabright Cree LED and rugged rubber-coated ABS-plastic housing. Powered by four D batteries (not included) for up to 200 hours of run time. Manufacturer's limited three-year warranty.
10.3"H x 6"W x 6"D.
Wt.: 3.2 lbs.

Interesting concept, but I'd like to know how it works in real world applications.  What if it's windy?  Will blowing leaves set it off?  3.2lbs plus battery weight is pretty big if you're hiking, obviously.  Maybe it's designed for hunting camps or something where folks are driving in?  I'd hate to be woken up by an alarm if a bird flies through camp, lol.
View Quote
It gets great reviews everywhere I've seen. So I would hope at least some of those reviews are real world experience. Like you said, is it set off by wind moving objects? Would a tent moving in the wind set it off? Very important too know. I think it's more for hunting and car camping type setups. But that's most people who camp, so that's a large consumer base. Great concept either way.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do you like sleep? Cause this is how you don't get any.
View Quote
So you have experience with this product?
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 6:29:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 10:18:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds ridiculous. 

If I had lights and sirens going off every time something ran through camp (not to mention branches falling, tent fly fluttering in the wind, etc.), I'd never get any sleep. 
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Sounds ridiculous. 

If I had lights and sirens going off every time something ran through camp (not to mention branches falling, tent fly fluttering in the wind, etc.), I'd never get any sleep. 
View Quote
Your comment seems alil ridiculous. Ever heard or seen motion sensors on homes? They don't go off every time the wind blows or trees flutter. What kind of places are you camping were branches are constantly breaking?? I'd be more afraid of a tree falling in your area if that's the case then a bear or human coming through. I'd imagine its sensitivity is set to pickup marginally medium to large movement, i.e. Bear, coyote, human size movement. Like I said, I'd like to see it in a real environment and see how it works. I'm sure it's not a end all solution but could be good should weather and certain conditions allow.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sounds ridiculous. 

View Quote
I agree, its silly.

I would never use it and if I went camping with someone that had one and it interrupted my sleep once it would be gone.  Its a solution in search of a problem.  if you are that scared of the woods that you need an alarm system then just buy a bear fence and be done with it.  I have had all kinds of animals walk through camp and anywhere I go and camp is in a bears backyard. When I camp on the Big Su (river) I am routinely awakened by trees falling from beavers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:02:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I agree, its silly.

I would never use it and if I went camping with someone that had one and it interrupted my sleep once it would be gone.  Its a solution in search of a problem.  if you are that scared of the woods that you need an alarm system then just buy a bear fence and be done with it.  I have had all kinds of animals walk through camp and anywhere I go and camp is in a bears backyard. When I camp on the Big Su (river) I am routinely awakened by trees falling from beavers.
View Quote
Ok, so don't buy one. But walking around armed is just silly too right??  I mean how many people are actually attacked by other people or animals statistically?? Very few. why leave your house if your that paranoid you need a firearm for protection. That's the same logic you are using. I understand going out and not being concerned about animals as you are in the wild but the concept isn't just for animals and it isn't anymore silly then a home alarm. For some its peace of mind. The concept isn't silly at all, it's rather ingenious whether you'd use it or not. Personally if I was in grizzly country I'd use it. But then again, I'd never camp in a tent in grizzly country either.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 10:39:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Camp Gaurd

Walmart has it for $59.99  with free pick at lease at my store!
Not sure I want woke up every time an animal walk though the camp!
I'm all so not a big fan of 360 lanterns!

But to each their own!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:32:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Camp Gaurd

Walmart has it for $59.99  with free pick at lease at my store!
Not sure I want woke up every time an animal walk though the camp!
I'm all so not a big fan of 360 lanterns!

But to each their own!!!

PITA45
View Quote
Like said, would be curious how sensitive it is before giving a final thought. Guess depending on were you camp not sure that many animals walk through an average camp. Around here seems like skunks, foxes etc. occasional larger animal.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:09:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Wonder how it works with bears(black).  Lots of places have curious camp bears... bet that would scare em off.  Beats jumping out of bed lighting it up and yelling at it to go away after it woke you up.  

Griz is a different situation.  Dont be afraid to camp in grizzly country, just dont be dumb about it, same with black bear country.  You just have to deal with trash bears in some popular spots... what this would work for.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Wonder how it works with bears(black).  Lots of places have curious camp bears... bet that would scare em off.  Beats jumping out of bed lighting it up and yelling at it to go away after it woke you up.  

Griz is a different situation.  Dont be afraid to camp in grizzly country, just dont be dumb about it, same with black bear country.  You just have to deal with trash bears in some popular spots... what this would work for.
View Quote
That's kind of what I was thinking. If its so sensitive, every little thing sets it off, then no, it wouldn't want to deal with it. I would think that they thought of these things and adjusted the sensitivity but I don't know. Which is why I asked on here. I've dealt with motion sensor lights on houses that work great and others that are crap. As a matter of fact, I have one next to a tree and the tree moving doesn't set it off but a person or midsize dog will. Which is exactly how I'd want it to work.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#14]
While I have no experience with this product. I would hazard a guess with its price point, it most likely uses motion detector tech already in use. Something like game cameras maybe?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Your comment seems alil ridiculous. Ever heard or seen motion sensors on homes? They don't go off every time the wind blows or trees flutter. What kind of places are you camping were branches are constantly breaking?? I'd be more afraid of a tree falling in your area if that's the case then a bear or human coming through. I'd imagine its sensitivity is set to pickup marginally medium to large movement, i.e. Bear, coyote, human size movement. Like I said, I'd like to see it in a real environment and see how it works. I'm sure it's not a end all solution but could be good should weather and certain conditions allow.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sounds ridiculous. 

1.  Not really analogous at all. 

2.  You seem realllly emotionally invested in this camp alarm sound/light death blossom for some reason attacking everyone who doesn't think it's a good idea. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

1.  Not really analogous at all. 

2.  You seem realllly emotionally invested in this camp alarm for some reason attacking everyone who doesn't think it's a good idea. 
View Quote
no not emotional at all. perhaps it came across that way but that is not the case. I just feel your reasoning, while having some very valid concerns, came across alil juvenile in your critique.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top