Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 12/29/2016 12:05:19 AM EDT
UPDATE:  This was for 2017.  A new 2018 hiking challenge thread has started.  You can see the thread HERE.

Thinking of doing a hiking challenge to stay fit and lose some weight in a productive and less-boring manner this year.

Just wondering if anybody's done one for hiking and how they did it.  Or, if you're interested in it, maybe we can keep this thread running with our hikes and stats like miles hiked, elevation, etc.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You are on! Doing Philmont this summer and prep hikes till then....let's go.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Awesome, we got one taker.  

What's a reasonable amount of hiking one could do in a year, mileage-wise?  Let's say you go one hike every two weeks.  Let's average that out for 6mi per hike.  What's that, somewhere in the vicinity of 150mi per year?  Take out vacations and other busy times and 100mi in a year doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
I already signed up for one that should be easy to do.  Did more than that this year with an official challenge.
North Country Scenic Trail 100 mile challenge.

An arfcomer took this picture of me while on a weekend hike in August.

Deam Wilderness Area, Hoosier National Forest.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Km,
Can you tell me about the Hoosier nf?  We are in Lexington and looking for places in southern IN to take the Boy Scouts.  That came up but we don't know that much about it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Km,
Can you tell me about the Hoosier nf?  We are in Lexington and looking for places in southern IN to take the Boy Scouts.  That came up but we don't know that much about it.
View Quote

The Charles Deam Wilderness area is located south of Lake Monroe south of Bloomington, IN. There are trails throughout the wilderness area.  Several campsites on the lake shore.
There are many other camping and hiking areas in HNF. There is no water other than a few small streams and the lake available so carrying your own water or good filtration and purification tablets are a must.  Water was a major part of the weight in my pack.  We parked at the fire tower and hiked in. Just outside the wilderness area are many small campsites with no water or restrooms so  you need to plan if you use those. From those you could do day hikes into the wilderness area.
Charles Deam Wilderness Area.

Right side of the road above is the wilderness area.  Left is not.

Below trail view at small nearly dry stream crossing.

view from top of fire tower

Campsite

If we do a ham trip there again you should come along.
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 5:28:06 PM EDT
[#6]
WA state section J. 73 miles this summer
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in.  We usually just do local trails, 5-8 miles round trip.  Summer vacation we get serious...
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm in.  We usually just do local trails, 5-8 miles round trip.  Summer vacation we get serious...
View Quote

Awesome.  I'm gonna challenge myself to do 100mi.  If I fall short by 30mi or so, I'll still feel like I've accomplished something.  It's not like there's a shortage of trails in the Smokies, lol.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#9]
This is a good challenge.  We always ramp up to a longer, distance hike.  We will be doing a 130 mile section (Erwin, TN to Damascus, VA) this year on the AT (I think my wife has us scheduled for June).  We have a decent State Park nearby, so we will do several conditioning hikes (anywhere from 8-12 miles) starting in March and April.  I also start shifting from strength training to more cardio as well.  We have other hikes we'll do, but this is our annual distance trip plan.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 2:08:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I am in. Me and a couple of other arfcommers usually do a 10-15 mile hike every couple of weeks. I've never kept track of the total I've done in a year though.

I really want to go Saturday but it is looking more and more like this snow is going to slam us.

eta: I wonder if this would get more views in GD or would it turn into a cluster? Something maybe akin to the MOA challenge.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I am in. Me and a couple of other arfcommers usually do a 10-15 mile hike every couple of weeks. I've never kept track of the total I've done in a year though.

I really want to go Saturday but it is looking more and more like this snow is going to slam us.

eta: I wonder if this would get more views in GD or would it turn into a cluster? Something maybe akin to the MOA challenge.
View Quote

It would be a cluster of either useless posts, posts bragging about how somebody hikes 100mi every month, or how much $$$ somebody spends on the trail.  

I'm actually thinking of going hiking tomorrow BECAUSE it's going to snow.  We have a nice little area here where it's near impossible to get lost (even though some do and my wife has to go rescue them) and I did it last year and had lots of fun seeing deer and such.  Plus being by yourself with the snow crunching underneath is a great feeling.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:57:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I did something like this in 2015. I started walking to get some exercise which turned to hiking for the scenery. I take my wife and daughter with me every time I go. I am down 80 pounds now. My almost 6 year old has done numerous 6-7 mile day hikes and we are now backpacking. We still hike the Superstition Mountains here in Arizona at least twice a month. We have a 6 mile hike planned for this weekend.

Best decision I've ever made. It's made our family closer and has taught my little one things she will never learn in a classroom or on tv. If you ask her what her favorite things to do are she will say hike, camp, and fish.

Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Doing a charity 1000 mile rucking challenge.  Costs a couple bucks to get into (I think it is 10 or 20) but you can track miles on the site.  All the proceeds go to team RWB and Green Beret Foundation.
https://charitychallenges.org/plans/1000-mile-challenge-2017/
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:16:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It would be a cluster of either useless posts, posts bragging about how somebody hikes 100mi every month, or how much $ somebody spends on the trail.  

I'm actually thinking of going hiking tomorrow BECAUSE it's going to snow.  We have a nice little area here where it's near impossible to get lost (even though some do and my wife has to go rescue them) and I did it last year and had lots of fun seeing deer and such.  Plus being by yourself with the snow crunching underneath is a great feeling.
View Quote
10-4.

I have a set of snow shoes and have greatly enjoyed the few snow hikes I have done over the years, but the mountains are 2 hours away for me and it is the driving Saturday that I am not too pumped about. If you go you should post some pictures.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 4:42:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did something like this in 2015. I started walking to get some exercise which turned to hiking for the scenery. I take my wife and daughter with me every time I go. I am down 80 pounds now. My almost 6 year old has done numerous 6-7 mile day hikes and we are now backpacking. We still hike the Superstition Mountains here in Arizona at least twice a month. We have a 6 mile hike planned for this weekend.

Best decision I've ever made. It's made our family closer and has taught my little one things she will never learn in a classroom or on tv. If you ask her what her favorite things to do are she will say hike, camp, and fish.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/IMG_20160107_123104_zpsu6zba2lu.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/IMG_20160219_142218_zpsrqb09ysm.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/IMG_20160410_143356_zpskxvkwutd.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/IMG_20161111_121939_zpsgjp3j3r4.jpg
View Quote
Looks like you are living the dream. I love Arizona.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:37:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been fortunate enough to be able to do 300+ miles a year for the past several years, across the country. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be doing over 2k mi this year.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:10:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been fortunate enough to be able to do 300+ miles a year for the past several years, across the country. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be doing over 2k mi this year.
View Quote
AT?
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok that's just showing off
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:57:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm in. :D   My subscriptions button doesn't work since the upgrade... but consider this a tag!
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Alright, supposed to go up into the Smokies tomorrow at some time after the wife gets home from work.  Hiking those trails has the added benefit of buying a patch afterwards.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:22:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm in.
I'll be using the "WALK" iPhone app to post my nightly jaunts.
This was my last one and pushed it up to the limit for me.
Am over this dysentery mess and will be back at on Monday.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#22]
I think that's a good goal. I just moved to Salt Lake City. So I'll be hiking as much as possible
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#23]
JUST squeaked in the first hike of the challenge.  Went up to the Smokies and did a hike we've never been on before called the Middle Prong trail.  Really easy.  It's basically an old logging road from the 30's converted into a trail.  Just so happens to be along a river that's gorgeous.  Moss everywhere.  Somehow we were still sore afterwards.

Total Distance:  5.29mi
Elevation Gain:  708ft

Found this off on a small side trail that went over a knoll.  About 30ft from the main trail, but completely hidden.

Found the inspiration behind the Army's new camo
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Did the Black Hills centennial last summer, gonna be hanging around Telluride, CO this year.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:00:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Did the Black Hills centennial last summer, gonna be hanging around Telluride, CO this year.
View Quote

I was in Telluride this summer!  Gorgeous place, although the people there were hellbent on telling me they were locals.  That, and which celebrities lived here.  It was a little odd, lol.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:33:36 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm screwed two ways today. First, am on call and must respond to a page that a server is down within 30 minutes to meet SLA's and, second, just getting over this stomach bug and didn't want to be 'that far' from the bathroom if need arises(yes, losing 20# in 5 days wasn't all bad). Only 2 miles today to get back in the swing of things.

Linkage to Walkmeter app record to verify.

startedJan 16, 2017, 4:48 PM
activityHike
hike time38:57
distance1.98 miles
average pace19:41 /mile
fastest pace16:54 /mile
calories314
avg cadence104 steps/min
max cadence276 steps/min
steps4039
temperature63°F
humidity68%
wind7 mph W

498 miles to go.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:47:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I just started bringing my wife and kids out for hikes this fall.  They girls are only 3 and 5, but they love it.   Their age limits the distance a little, but they get better with each hike.  

Everyone got new hiking boots for Christmas, so it's time to log some miles.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Depends on how you define "hike".  A big part of my job is cruising timber, and I'll put 6-8 miles a day on my boots doing that.  Probably 3-4 days a week.

Is that "hiking"?  It for sure is walking around in the woods
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm in.
I'll be using the "WALK" iPhone app to post my nightly jaunts.
This was my last one and pushed it up to the limit for me.
Am over this dysentery mess and will be back at on Monday.
View Quote
How bad does that app burn battery? Does it work in airplane mode? In the Blue Ridge and Alleghenies cell signal is shit and if I leave my phone in anything other than airplane mode it kills my battery. 
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
JUST squeaked in the first hike of the challenge.  Went up to the Smokies and did a hike we've never been on before called the Middle Prong trail.  Really easy.  It's basically an old logging road from the 30's converted into a trail.  Just so happens to be along a river that's gorgeous.  Moss everywhere.  Somehow we were still sore afterwards.

Total Distance:  5.29mi
Elevation Gain:  708ft

http://i.imgur.com/ocn5YlJ.jpg?1

Found this off on a small side trail that went over a knoll.  About 30ft from the main trail, but completely hidden.

http://i.imgur.com/OJhBJHB.jpg?1

Found the inspiration behind the Army's new camo
http://i.imgur.com/bquLi8m.jpg?1
View Quote
Nice.

Weather is finally supposed to be decent here this weekend so I might finally have something to contribute.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#31]
As for apps, If you have a Samsung, you can use their in-phone app. It's called "S Health" and is really good once you can get through the menus.  Once you got it, you can scroll down to icons that list activity, running, walking, hiking, biking.  Choose hiking, put your GPS on, press "start" and away you go.  Then, at the end of your hike, you can take a photo or use one from the gallery, label it "Middle Prong Trail" etc, and it'll give you every stat you could dream of along with a GPS map of where you went.

Also, a similar all-around app I used to use that's really simple is the All-Sports GPS by Trimble.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
As for apps, If you have a Samsung, you can use their in-phone app. It's called "S Health" and is really good once you can get through the menus.  Once you got it, you can scroll down to icons that list activity, running, walking, hiking, biking.  Choose hiking, put your GPS on, press "start" and away you go.  Then, at the end of your hike, you can take a photo or use one from the gallery, label it "Middle Prong Trail" etc, and it'll give you every stat you could dream of along with a GPS map of where you went.

Also, a similar all-around app I used to use that's really simple is the All-Sports GPS by Trimble.
View Quote
Thanks. I do have a Samsung, but I never even noticed that app. It looks like it will probably work in airplane mode too.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:36:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How bad does that app burn battery? Does it work in airplane mode? In the Blue Ridge and Alleghenies cell signal is shit and if I leave my phone in anything other than airplane mode it kills my battery. 
View Quote
Not sure about airplane mode but it does eat the battery. Got to work tonight at the hospital so I'll be doing room to room dashes vs. a sustained hike. I'll try to get some sort of measure Wednesday for you. I get off of this on-call mess 0600hours Friday and get to 'work from home' as 'comp time'; I'll do a 7+ miler during the day and get some more #'s for you then to get a feel for it. I'm going to get one of those power packs to put in my pack to insure that I have enough juice to last the entire trip. During that 14 mile hike, my iPhone 5s went from 90% to 5% to my best recollection. But I'll get some firm #'s for you later this week.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:03:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Depends on how you define "hike".  A big part of my job is cruising timber, and I'll put 6-8 miles a day on my boots doing that.  Probably 3-4 days a week.

Is that "hiking"?  It for sure is walking around in the woods
View Quote

It's gotta be non-work related.  Meaning, you got to set aside time to do it.  Anybody who works on their feet can walk a few miles a day easy, depending on where they work.

This is not just for training the body. It's also for the mind as well.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:06:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks. I do have a Samsung, but I never even noticed that app. It looks like it will probably work in airplane mode too.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, sure does, although I've never used it in that mode before. I just turn my wifi/mobile data off when I go to the woods manually.  I guess I could use airplane mode and save the time.  GPS works too, which is the important part.  The only thing on my Samsung that really eats battery is the Bluetooth for some reason.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:08:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Nice.

Weather is finally supposed to be decent here this weekend so I might finally have something to contribute.
View Quote

What is this decent weather you speak of?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296184/IMG-0466-127632.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296184/IMG-0466-127632.JPG

Wow that poor dog. I feel bad for him, frozen in mid-stride like that.  

I would love to go snow-hiking, but nothing here yet but 60deg weather.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Not sure about airplane mode but it does eat the battery. Got to work tonight at the hospital so I'll be doing room to room dashes vs. a sustained hike. I'll try to get some sort of measure Wednesday for you. I get off of this on-call mess 0600hours Friday and get to 'work from home' as 'comp time'; I'll do a 7+ miler during the day and get some more #'s for you then to get a feel for it. I'm going to get one of those power packs to put in my pack to insure that I have enough juice to last the entire trip. During that 14 mile hike, my iPhone 5s went from 90% to 5% to my best recollection. But I'll get some firm #'s for you later this week.
View Quote
Thanks. I've got an SGS 5 and it looks like this s health app will work for me, but it will be good to get an idea of how well these apps work. I'll try to give an update on how bad the S Health app drains battery while in Airplane mode this weekend.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Is there a decent free app for iPhone?
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:31:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Ok, I can finally contribute. My brother and I did an in and back hike over Humpback mountain yesterday. This is just down the Blue Ridge Parkway about five miles or so from Rockfish Gap, which is where I-64 goes over Afton mountain. Its a hike I have done a bunch of times as it is relatively close to me (2hrs away), has nice views, and is a moderately strenuous hike good for getting back into things if I haven't been out in a while.  It was a surprisingly nice day albeit a bit overcast.

I got to test the S Health app for my Samsung Galaxy S5 and I was generally pleased with how it did. I started the hike at 100% battery and ended with 53%. That was with taking pictures and doing a bit of internet surfing when I broke for lunch, both of which I rarely do during a hike. I figure the S Health app may have accounted for 20% or so of the drain which I can live with. ETA: I had my phone on airplane mode the entire time with the exception of lunch.

We started the hike in the Visitor Center parking lot which is lower than the typical Humpback Rocks parking lot, which had filled up. Our halfway point was the Dripping Rock cliffs that overlook the town of Sherando. We went back the way we came.

Total Distance according to the S Health app was 11.22 miles.

It wasn't the greatest day for picture taking so most of my pics are from the hike back as the lighting was marginally better.

Humpback Rocks from the parking lot:

View from Dripping Rocks:

The cloud cover to the east was very low all day which made for some neat views.
Wintergreen Resort:

End of the day view from Humpback Rocks looking north towards Rockfish Gap. Waynesboro is on the left in the picture:

I'll post my S Health screen shots in my next post as I am not sure how many pics the site will let me post at once.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 12:36:52 PM EDT
[#41]
S Health info:

Link Posted: 1/22/2017 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Awesome!  That's quite an elevation gain!  Wow.  

I can't wait to get out, but School/Family/and a bed build have me extremely busy for the next week at least.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 11:54:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#44]

Does that mean you're doing it?  dam son!  Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, honeymoon. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 6:00:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Yep, honeymoon. Thanks!
View Quote

Dude, that's gotta be the world's longest honeymoon.  That and most uncomfortable lol.  Well, if you come out of it still together, you're set for life!
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#47]
My wife and I hiked the Superstition Mountains today while our daughter was in school. We did an in and out called Second Water Trail. Garmin says it was 7.33 miles. It was windy, cloudy, and we had a steady mist on us for hours straight. Not what we are use to here in Arizona so it was a nice change.

Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:21:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My wife and I hiked the Superstition Mountains today while our daughter was in school. We did an in and out called Second Water Trail. Garmin says it was 7.33 miles. It was windy, cloudy, and we had a steady mist on us for hours straight. Not what we are use to here in Arizona so it was a nice change.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_084610_zps9lcsgj7a.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_092420_zpszcplfzte.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_092515_zps25sjdxdv.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_103000_zpsu9u1cfdo.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_105214_zpssrpckab1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_113902_zpsgc5ykdjl.jpg
View Quote
Nice pictures.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Nice pictures.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_084610_zps9lcsgj7a.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_092420_zpszcplfzte.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_092515_zps25sjdxdv.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_103000_zpsu9u1cfdo.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_105214_zpssrpckab1.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/blt2drg/20170123_113902_zpsgc5ykdjl.jpg
Nice pictures.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:58:53 AM EDT
[#50]
Got the 90 day layoff notice on Thursday and then Trump celebration, so I missed a couple of days.

Back in the saddle with it. Spent an hour and half in the office gym with the dumb bells in the morning, then did what I'm calling my standard jaunt of about 7 miles late yesterday afternoon once I got home.

startedJan 23, 2017, 4:55 PM
hike time2:19:39
distance7.11 miles
calories1124

Standard 7 mile jaunt stats.

Started off with the iPhone at 99% charged. Since I did finally find the cable for the SanDisk mp3 player, didn't run iHeart radio this time. In the 2:19 hours, it went from 99% to 74% charged.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top