Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/22/2014 10:00:33 PM EDT
I'm kind of a knife geek. Chinese-made pocket knives are the best bang-for-the-buck right now, and the best of all the Chinese knife I know of is the "Enlan Bee EL-06". You can find them for $17, including shipping. I think of it as 90% of the quality of a Scott Cook Lochsa at 5% of the price. Several of my friends will be getting them for Christmas. Anyone else got a favorite they'd recommend?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Case Stockman. Multiple scale options and prices.  A little more than what you spent but, Made In America with a lifetime guarantee..
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I like pocket clips. Specifically tip-up.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Old Timer 3 blade Stockman, model 80T (USA made version of course).

I went through the pocket clip stage but have come back around to the Stockman pattern for a pocket knife. If I'm doing  a task where I have only one hand available to use a knife I'll pull the fixed blade out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 10:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Microtech!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Grown partial to my Beretta Airlight, skeletonized, the original model. The Airlight II looks interesting though. They're made in Japan oddly enough.

Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Microtech!
View Quote

I have a Scarab and a Combat Troodon. Their primary function is shocking liberals. They aren't very practical. And heaven help you if you forget to clean the blade before you retract it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 11:11:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Grown partial to my Beretta Airlight, skeletonized, the original model. The Airlight II looks interesting though. They're made in Japan oddly enough.
View Quote

I have an Airlight as well. (Told you I was a geek.) The skeletonized blade is hard to keep clean whether you're skinning a squirrel or spreading peanut butter. Mine has been relegated to an emergency survival kit, which suits it because it's so lightweight.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#8]
I carry a Spyderco Delica 4. It is large enough for many uses and light enough to be carried easily. The blade is made of VG-10 so it is strong and holds an edge.

I am left handed and it was important to me to have the clip in the correct position.  The clip on the Spyderco Delica 4 is attached with screws and can be placed in any of four positions. This allows me to so move the clip so that I could carry it in my left, rear pocket and have it be right side up so that my thumb naturally is placed on the 'opening assist' hole in the blade.

That is another feature I like. It has a hole rather than a post for the opening assist so it lies very flat. The sides are fiberglass so they are light keeping the overall weight of the knife quite reasonable, especially for its size.

I tried one that had a blade that was half serrated but ended up liking the non-serrated blade better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I carry a Spyderco Delica 4. It is large enough for many uses and light enough to be carried easily. The blade is made of VG-10 so it is strong and holds an edge.

I am left handed and it was important to me to have the clip in the correct position.  The clip on the Spyderco Delica 4 is attached with screws and can be placed in any of four positions. This allows me to so move the clip so that I could carry it in my left, rear pocket and have it be right side up so that my thumb naturally is placed on the 'opening assist' hole in the blade.

That is another feature I like. It has a hole rather than a post for the opening assist so it lies very flat. The sides are fiberglass so they are light keeping the overall weight of the knife quite reasonable, especially for its size.

I tried one that had a blade that was half serrated but ended up liking the non-serrated blade better.
View Quote

My pick as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I like Moore Maker knives.  

You have to be careful of which knives you order now, I think some of their suppliers are no longer in business.

Some of them are good enough for "keep sakes" and quality gifts for a family member.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:03:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I think of my pocketknife and my EDC blade as two different things. One is for all the mundane daily knife tasks, the other is for if everything else has gone poorly.

That said, you're right, there are a ton of knife deals these days. That's always a threat to the gun fund
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I prefer pocket clips and Spyderco so I carry a Endura Wave and a Native. I also carried a SAK Tinker for 20+ years.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#13]
I love Spyderco (yes I like other knives too) they do have a few cheaper China made knives.

Since you like the cheaper knives as indicated in your original post, check out the Byrd line. Not saying they are cheaply made..... But Cheaper and made in China.

There are a couple Spyderco knives I want, but for now my favorite EDC blade is my Spyderco Embassy
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
DPX HEST 2.0
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Emerson MV3

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Last several years I have been drawn to Case pocket knives.  I have a couple of mid folding hunters.  The last year I have carried a stockman.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:02:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

My pick as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My pick as well.

Me too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#18]
For a pocket clip/one-hand operation knife I like Spyderco.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 6:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Love me some SAK Recruit.  I blame that on my stunted boy scout development.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:25:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Spydercos for me too. I have different models. Bought one for my wife and kids too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 12:36:31 AM EDT
[#21]
I've have many, many, knives. Autos, OTFs, all major brands, some customs, some tacticool, etc.

Let me tell you the answer:  

CRK Sebenza.

It's expensive but you'll know why when you use and carry it. When it gets beat to hell send it and and it will come back like new for a very minimal fee.

Link Posted: 12/25/2014 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Boker kalashnikov auto. Surprisingly durable for a $40 switchblade.
Got 2 now
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:05:47 AM EDT
[#23]
My vote goes to the Spyderco Delica.  Super light, strong and good blade length.   I like the Endura too but it is a big knife.  The Ontario Utillilac II is very good knife for not much $$…made in Taiwan but heavy.   Spyderco also makes the Tenacious from China and is not bad.   The Buck 110 with the leather sheath is a bargain in my book.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:10:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Delica. Have some benchmades and a few others but I just keep coming back to the delica.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:18:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Benchmade Rift, another Benchmade Osborne model and a Spyderco with the Super Blue steel blade are my current top 3.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:58:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mine just got retired, till re sharpened, don't think it cuts butter. Just replaced with a Gerber Air Ranger, cabelas had it for $15.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 3:30:05 AM EDT
[#27]
2 yrs ago in an arfcom xmas exchange, I received a spyderco tenacious.

It's definitely my favorite knife.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 7:52:58 AM EDT
[#28]
ZT 0350. It's on the heavy side but that knife is a beast.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 12:19:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Very happy with my Benchmade Mini-Griptillian.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:48:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
2 yrs ago in an arfcom xmas exchange, I received a spyderco tenacious.

It's definitely my favorite knife.
View Quote

I had low expectations for mine given that it is made in China, but it is a great knife.  Takes a great edge, holds it reasonable well, locks up tight, no sharp edges on the scales, scale texture is perfect for being non-slip but not overly aggressive.

Very nice knife for the money.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 8:49:57 AM EDT
[#31]
I really like my Benchmade Vex. I think you can get them for around $50 if you look.

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Spyderco Delica FFG (full flat grind).
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 2:01:30 AM EDT
[#33]
Spyderco Delica or Endura, with the wave feature.

I'll agree that the Endura is a pretty big blade for a pocket knife.  I kind of wish there was a 3.25-3.5in version between the two.  If they made that, it might be a contender for the mythical "perfect knife" award.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 4:45:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Don't forget Victorinox Swiss Army knives.   I carried one for years and still do at times.  The can come in mighty handy.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 6:02:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Don't forget Victorinox Swiss Army knives.   I carried one for years and still do at times.  The can come in mighty handy.
View Quote

I use mine more than I would have thought. Mostly to cut hay bales and pick my teeth and pulling splinters. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 12:52:20 PM EDT
[#36]
kershaw leek
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm a pocket knife junkie. I have wayyy more than is necessary but most were gifts from my father over the years. My favorite knife that I have right now is the Ravencrest Tactical Nemesis. It is an OTF knife but it is not too practical. That stays in the safe most of the time while I carry a Kershaw Black Blur. It has been holding an edge pretty decently so far.
Link Posted: 1/2/2015 9:30:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I love my Kershaw spring assisted knife. Absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#39]
An Old Timer I have had for 42 years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a big "bang for the buck" guy and love the Blur when it can be had for under $45. Got 2 as gifts over the holiday for under $40!
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#41]
EDC belt carry and my #1 choice is a Leatherman Wave.

Pocket knife... I choose a Victorinox Recruit with a nice paracord lanyard.

http://www.swissarmy.com/us/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Camping/Recruit/53241

Affordable and functional.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:05:13 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

That handkerchief totally needs a lanyard!
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:51:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Kershaw Cryo. Favorite knife I've owned thus far.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#44]
Spyderco Delica; I say that carrying a griptillian for about 4 years now.  I find the griptillian to be fat for business attire or rolling on the ground, like carrying too many keys.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:05:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Sebenza
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I really like my Benchmade but I won't be buying from them anymore... I had 2 benchmades, sent 1 back for repair and sharpening, they insisted it was a counterfeit even though it came straight out of the national stock system. The guy was really apologetic and offered me a 30% discount on any knife from their online store. He said that could be combined with a 30% military discount for a total of 60% off. Ok, whatever. So I try to use the discounts and they won't work. I called Benchmade back and they had no idea what I was talking about. They said such a discount didn't exist and they had no record of me even sending them a knife.

WTF??? It's like I was in the twilight zone or something and nothing was making sense. I finally gave up on it and I will not purchase another benchmade product...
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:10:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Current favorite clip knife would be either the Benchmade full-sized or Mini Griptilian.

Favorite pocket knife from a pure EDC utilitarian standpoint would be a tossup between the Victorinox alox Farmer or Pioneer.  Usually have one or the other with me, and they get more use than anything else.

I have several other pocket knives ranging from modern Case stockmans and jacks to older US-made Uncle Henry's (perferred flavor being the 897UH) to Boy Scout type camper pocket knives dating back to the 1940s, but those above are what I use and, therefore, my favorites.

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I do like the Delica a lot, but there are two problems I have with it. The pocket clip isn't that great, and the lockback doesn't work very well one-handed. Fantastic ergonomics, strength to weight, and blade shape though.

Cheap Chinese knives have no place in my collection. Kershaw, Spyderco, Buck, and SOG make fairly inexpensive US (and Japanese) made knives. There's no reason to be buying knockoffs of questionable quality.

My favorite knife at the moment is a Kershaw Random Leek. Not fancy, but slim, stupid sharp, and good for various office tasks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top