Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/20/2014 7:25:24 PM EDT
With bow season coming up, I'll be hunting some new spots this year, I want to pick up a handheld GPS. While shopping online I came across SPOT Connect. It's cheaper than the GPSs I was looking at and I can send out a text message if I need to. Does anyone have one of these? My primary use is for map function. Any real world advise?

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=116
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I looked at the Spot! options recently for some solo backpacking I'm planning.

Make sure you read the reviews of their service - and how hard it is to cancel.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Picked up a farming on Caleb's Black Fridays deals, works great. I suggest the hunting maps sd card make property lines much easier to figure out.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:53:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked at the Spot! options recently for some solo backpacking I'm planning.

Make sure you read the reviews of their service - and how hard it is to cancel.
View Quote

Yeah, it's basically impossible to cancel the subscription. I've looked at spot as well, but the subscription fee of $100/year is just a little high for my needs(i usually only go on one major solo hiking trip a year.). If they allowed for a monthly subscription that I could cancel/reactivate when needed? It'd be all over it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Delorme allows a monthly subscription for their InReach which is a 2-way communicator. You can also link it to your phone to text via satellite rather than sending canned messages.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:19:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Hmm....yeah the subscription sounds crappy. I really just need an map GPS, but I don't want to spend 300$. I honestly don't hunt out of state, and I don't hunt as often as I'd like too either. I don't want to buy junk, but can't justify spending a ton either, guess I'll keep shopping around.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Why not get a standalone map product for your smartphone?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

The GPS is a huge battery killer. Now, to offset this I use downloaded maps and only turn the GPS on to make position checks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The GPS is a huge battery killer. Now, to offset this I use downloaded maps and only turn the GPS on to make position checks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So carry a spare battery charger that takes lithium AAs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm, I like the way that sounds. I'm not worried about crossing into private land, none near where I hunt. My main concern is making check points, map is secondary, communication is nice, but not mandatory.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why AAs? Why not a rechargeable USB battery?

I've used both methods. imho a standalone GPS is a better option. ymmv.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top