Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2009 2:15:03 PM EDT
General Anthony C. McAulliffe, acting commander of the 101st Airborne Division issued his famous "Nuts!" reply to a German surrender demand in the City

of Bastogne, Belgium. Just thought I'd post in remembrance of my late, favorite uncle,  W. Lee Crowley Jr., B Co., 506th PIR 101st Abn. ,who was there .

2nd from right with my Dad (far right) and my two other uncles.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
God bless your uncle, and all of the men who fought there.

Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

http://www.517prct.org/documents/82nd_airborne_poster/82d_poster_photo.gif

+1
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Thanks, they are all gone now, Dad was the last to pass away in 2007 (age 86)
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It sounds like they lived a worthwhile life.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

It sounds like they lived a worthwhile life.

They did and I'm proud of all of them. The one on the far left, my Uncle John, served in the CBI theater, The next , my Uncle Herbert,, the oldest of the boys, was in the service before the war, stayed on in the Air Force as a non flying officer with SAC, retired as a Colonel. Dad, the youngest, stayed in the reserves for 20 years and retired at the rank of Lt. Col. He was a cargo officer on Liberty and Victory ships during the war. Uncle Lee, the paratrooper, sadly was the first to pass away in 1982 at the age of 67. I always thought it was so cool that his daughter, my cousin, had a Christmas stocking with a Screaming Eagle Patch on it!
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#6]
the greatest generation........

My pops(korea) knew quite a few WWII vets, and many years back I had the pleasure of getting to know them over the years. some were collectors. most all have pasted away. some great stories I heard from them.  on a side note I ran into a Red Arrow divison army vet, the other day. he said he knew of three other survivors, he was kind enough to share his experiences in New Guinea with me ! I believe he was 90.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:03:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
the greatest generation........

Hands down.  

I work in/around a very large retirement community.  WW II vets are getting harder to find these days.  I always stop and take time to visit and talk with the vets...  all vets.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Great pic. what a cadre you had there. Keep up the fond memories. i have all my dads stuff in my office in cases and such from Medalsofamerica.com Check it out if you want to put up there stuff.
Link Posted: 12/21/2009 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Great photo and family story.

Thanks for sharing.

Monk
Link Posted: 12/22/2009 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great photo and family story.
Thanks for sharing.

Monk

Thanks, the photo was taken Christmas Eve 1945 after they had all come home to Mobile, Alabama
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top