[#3]
Better to burn in than burn out.

RIP
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
R.I.P
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey I was in that class he was life flighted off of fryer it was windy as hell that day a couple of guys ended up in the trees by the graduation area. We had to wait two days to make that jump because of weather. and come hell or highwater the CO was going to make sure we got our five jumps in alot of guys got ambulance rides off the DZ that day.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:42:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#7]
SFC Ritz was my brother, Airborne brother and my best friend. He leaves behind a beautiful wife and three beautiful children. There will be a scholarship fund set up in his name for his children this week. If anyone wants to help the family please email me at [email protected].
Thank you all for your support in this difficult time.

To my brother and my friend,  Airborne All the Way! RIP
Love Always,
Jim Ritz
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#9]
For all that have given support at this time, the family appreciates it. We thank you for your dedication and support.

If you or anyone you know would like to contribute to MSG Ritz's childrens scholarship Fund the information is as follows:

Ritz Family Scholarship Fund
Account Number 40010139
14040 Central Loop
Woodbridge, VA 22193

Again,
Thank you for your support.

Airborne All the Way!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#10]
RIP Airborne!
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:52:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Another Airborne Trooper reporting to St. Peter.

When I get to heaven, to St. Peter I will say...
Made my living as a Paratrooper!

Rest in Peace.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:16:09 PM EDT
[#12]
This needs a tack....
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:46:22 PM EDT
[#13]
RIP - Old Guard.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Before you start telling stories about how many people took a ride in the ambulance off the DZ and how bad the winds are you need to know what you are talking about. Anyone who gets injured on Fryar regardless of how bad it is takes a ride in the ambulance. The reason for this is because you need to have an FLA on the DZ at all times. If that FLA left to bring a minor injury to the hospital or clinic the jump would have to stop and wait for it to get back. As far as the winds, there are winds on the ground and winds at altitude, the two can be very different. The DZSO can only measure the winds on the ground, a maximum of 13 knots. Also, just because people land in the trees doesn't mean the winds are high. When the A/C put out jumpers they are going to drift and depending on what direction the winds are jumpers will drift differently. It also depends on the jumpers weight and other weather conditions. Trees are sometimes on the surveyed DZ, welcome to the world of the Airborne. Any Airborne Commander has a responsibility to ensure that the jump happens and that it is safe, that is why there are many safety considerations and multiple ways of taking wind readings at different locations on the DZ. Jumping from an aircraft flying at 130 knots from 1250ft AGL is dangerous, regardless of weather conditions. Thousands of people make military parachute jumps each year and unfortunately, accidents happen. Before you start running off at the mouth make sure you do a little research.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Sorry,that last post was directed for pbaeod.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:35:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Dangerous training for a dangerous job. RIP, your courage and sacrifice are appreciated here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 9:55:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Rest in Peace Airborne, you've earned your wings.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#18]
I posted reply but decided this is not the time or the place. SFC Ritz's brother wrote me asked me about that days time line. All the explanations in the world don't bring back the dead. It was horrible thing that happened. I offered my insight on that day because I was there and that is what I saw.

To the Ritz family I am deeply sorry and wish I had the chance to know him better.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top