Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/21/2008 7:20:54 PM EDT
I've been a member for quite a while now.  I don't make a lot of posts, but there are a lot of interesting topics to read.  My question is this, is it just me or is there an awful lot of anti-police and anti-government talk?  Has this been brought up before?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:28:13 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've been a member for quite a while now.  I don't make a lot of posts, but there are a lot of interesting topics to read.  My question is this, is it just me or is there an awful lot of anti-police and anti-government talk?  Has this been brought up before?  

You've obviously never heard of JBT Friday's.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

We talk about drug dealers when they do bad things.  We talk about illegal immigrants when they do bad things.  We talk about truck drivers when they do bad things.

It's only fair to talk about when cops do bad things, or the government.

Blind support of any institution leads to very many bad things.

ETA:  If you pay attention, it's anti-corrupt police and anti-corrupt government.  We are all happy as pie with law abiding government officials.  
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:34:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You've obviously never heard of JBT Friday's.

I thought it was JBT Thursday.

And foregrip Friday.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Walter Mitty has to direct his anger somewhere.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:36:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Gotta keep Johnny Law in his place
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe so, and it's getting really old
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 7:57:24 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I believe so, and it's getting really old

You should probably leave then. See Nationwide's post above.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We talk about drug dealers when they do bad things.  We talk about illegal immigrants when they do bad things.  We talk about truck drivers when they do bad things.

ETA:  If you pay attention, it's anti-corrupt police and anti-corrupt government.  We are all happy as pie with law abiding government officials.  

I'm not talking about blind support of the police and I'm not talking about bashing an obvious abuse of power, or even a discussion about questionable things that could really go either way.
What I'm talking about it blatant, outright, contempt and disrespect of the police.  Making comments that are all-encompassing about the entire profession.  It just seems to me that you've got to be somewhat retarded to link one personal experience or link one story to tens of thousands of sworn personnel and paint them with a brush so broad as to leave no doubt that they are all inept fools.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
School is out for the summer.....it will settle down in the fall.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#10]
By the way, what the hell is JBT?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Puh-leeze.

Well all know there are an inordinate amount of anti cop threads in GD compared to any other profession or group. You should know, you're usually on the first page of most of those threads.

It's no secret that there are bad cops in the profession. It's just a matter of statistics. Out of tens of thousands of cops in America (or however many there are), some will certainly be assholes, criminals, or those that are simply stupid. Just like any other profession. The big difference is when a cop screws up, the usual suspects use that info to bash the entire LE profession. That's not the case with other professions. For example, if a plumber murders someone, you'll never read generalized bashing of the plumbing profession or comments like: "just an isolated incident."

That and the shear volume of the threads. Folks go out of their way to find and post every cop news article from around the globe. You will never find five threads about the misdeeds of truck drivers on a single page of ARFcom discussion (although I'm sure I could find five articles a day if I searched hard enough).

And don't give me that BS about how you/they are only bashing 'corrupt' cops. Folks that have never spent a day in the uniform will bash cops that acted in complete accordance with the Constitution, state and local law, and department policy; simply because those posters have zero concept of police work. Either that, or they just don't like cops.

If you want to bash cops, fine, that's your perogative. But don't come into the BoTS and piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:19:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#14]
The OP is trolling. You've been here all this time and don't know about all of the us verses them?  
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:22:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It's really more than just Anti-Police. It's more of an Anti-Authority attitude. You see it here ranging from resentment of the local "Mall Ninjas" and "WalMart Door Nazis", all the way up to the highest level of government LEO's.

People don't like being told what to do. Especially if those orders are coming from people that they view as being beneath them on the socio-economic scale.

This, and other Net forums provide people with an outlet to talk shit, and usually show their ignorance on a range of subjects. Government and Law Enforcement are the more preferred subjects on this forum. If you hang around long enough, you can identify the "Usual Suspects" who expend a great deal of time and energy scouring the web for any shred of controversial or disparaging info on LEO's.

If the lunatic fringe has an asshole, just think of ARFCOM's GD as the thermometer sticking in it. If you watch it, you get some interesting readings.

Basically, it's just the sheep, bleating at the sheep dogs.
It means nothing in the grand scheme of things. Carry on...

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If the lunatic fringe has an asshole, just think of ARFCOM's GD as the thermometer sticking in it. If you watch it, you get some interesting readings.

That's quote worthy material.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm a good American.

I love our country, but am ever suspicious of our government.

Government is more often a problem, and I hate it when people want the .gov to be the solution to their problems. On the other hand, I understand the proper and necessary role of government. I think we have a great Constitution.

It goes both ways: people bash and defend the police to ridiculous ends. In most threads, people simply don't know the facts. It's argument for the sake of argument over opinions.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The OP is trolling. You've been here all this time and don't know about all of the us verses them?  

I don't like my integrity being called into question.  What part of my post seems like bullshit to you?  If you have something productive to say, I'd like to hear your opinion good or bad, otherwise, I think you know where you can put that flag.  What would I be trolling for exactly?  Either you agree or you don't.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'm a good American.

Government is more often a problem, and I hate it when people want the .gov to be the solution to their problems. On the other hand, I understand the proper and necessary role of government. I think we have a great Constitution.

It goes both ways: people bash and defend the police to ridiculous ends. In most threads, people simply don't know the facts. It's argument for the sake of argument over opinions.

Too many people equate the regular cop as "the government".  It's like we are the borg or something.  Each of us knows exactly what the others know and we do everything in concert together toward one common goal.....total domination of the U.S. population.  Give me a break with all of the talk of who's watching big brother and look what happened to such and such culture 800 years ago, it's gonna happen again, but I'll be ready because I have a box of MRE's and an AR.  It's a bunch of paranoid lunacy.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm a good American.

Too many people equate the regular cop as "the government".  It's like we are the borg or something.  Each of us knows exactly what the others know and we do everything in concert together toward one common goal.....total domination of the U.S. population.  Give me a break with all of the talk of who's watching big brother and look what happened to such and such culture 800 years ago, it's gonna happen again, but I'll be ready because I have a box of MRE's and an AR.  It's a bunch of paranoid lunacy.

I understand what you're saying, and agree that an individual officer isn't "the government." Police are, however, an executive function of government. I was speaking generally.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:46:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I knew you weren't implying that, but it seems like a lot of folks have that impression.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the reason people have so much animosity toward LEO and .gov types has to do with the fact that when a LEO has a bad day or shows bad judgment the result is someone possibly fighting for their freedom.  Couple that with alot of isolated incidents and us civilians are understandably fed up.  just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

People don't like being told what to do. Especially if those orders are coming from people that they view as being beneath them on the socio-economic scale.

Bingo on both accounts. Now back to oppressing peoples' civil rights with you!
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 8:57:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I think the reason people cops have so much animosity toward LEO and .gov types some civilians has to do with the fact that when a LEO civilian has a bad day or shows bad judgment the result is someone a cop possibly fighting for their freedom life.  Couple that with alot of no so isolated incidents and us civilians cops are understandably fed up.  just my $.02

Hope you don't mind I changed a couple things.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't like my integrity being called into question.  What part of my post seems like bullshit to you?  If you have something productive to say, I'd like to hear your opinion good or bad, otherwise, I think you know where you can put that flag.  What would I be trolling for exactly?  Either you agree or you don't.

I rest my case. Why would you, having been a long time member, not know about the anti-leo or us against them mentality?

My brother used to be a cop, my cousin is a Lt. with the FHP, and I have heard many stories from them, and other cops of people talking crap.

Don't take offense, but it is suspicious with your post.

I stand by my post and find your time here, along with your post to be questionable.

If I'm wrong, then I am sorry.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I rest my case. Why would you, having been a long time member, not know about the anti-leo or us against them mentality?

My brother used to be a cop, my cousin is a Lt. with the FHP, and I have heard many stories from them, and other cops of people talking crap.

I stand by my post and find your time here, along with your post to be questionable.

I'm talking specifically about the cop hate on this website.  Most of the shittalkers I've come across in the world were in the hood, not who I would peg as ARFCOM material.  So I'm not sure what was hard to comprehend about my original post, have or or have you not noticed a lot of cop hate on this website?  I don't know how to make it more clear than that.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Meh. Some folks don't read GD. I used to post/read almost exclusively in the tech forums. Some folks only use the EE.

A member who posts daily cop threads in GD is probably a troll. Posting a single "hey, what's up with the cop hatred?" thread in BoTS is not as suspicious to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Not trying to bash just relaying what I have seen.

My own personal experiences aside the majority of police develop the "Us Vs. Them mentality".  When I trained regularly in martial arts a year or two back one thing I encountered a lot of were cops.  Spread among 5 local agencies and two BATFE agents.  Virtually every one of them who had been on the job any real length of time had either an indifference or animosity towards most of the public and a clique-ish kind of attitude with each other.  I'd guess if I had to do thier job I would too, nonetheless this becomes a problem.  

Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:43:25 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Meh. Some folks don't read GD. I used to post/read almost exclusively in the tech forums. Some folks only use the EE.

A member who posts daily cop threads in GD is probably a troll. Posting a single "hey, what's up with the cop hatred?" thread in BoTS is not as suspicious to me.

Thank you, that's exactly where I'm coming from.
Link Posted: 6/21/2008 9:52:52 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm talking specifically about the cop hate on this website.  Most of the shittalkers I've come across in the world were in the hood, not who I would peg as ARFCOM material.  So I'm not sure what was hard to comprehend about my original post, have or or have you not noticed a lot of cop hate on this website?  I don't know how to make it more clear than that.

Yes, there is much hate here of members and LEO's. I myself have bashed cops here.
The problem, I think, is most folks here support leo's getting shit off the the streets (god bless 'em), but when you are treated badly, it kinda hits home with you.

It has happened to me. When you are sitting on a couch watching tv in your living room, and opening your door greeted by two officers aiming pistols at your head, then you would be pissed off as well.

The neighbors called 911 and said they saw flashlights in our house.

I don't hate cops. I just wish I could understand why they treat people the way they do.

Link Posted: 6/22/2008 12:41:59 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Puh-leeze.

Well all know there are an inordinate amount of anti cop threads in GD compared to any other profession or group. You should know, you're usually on the first page of most of those threads.

It's no secret that there are bad cops in the profession. It's just a matter of statistics. Out of tens of thousands of cops in America (or however many there are), some will certainly be assholes, criminals, or those that are simply stupid. Just like any other profession. The big difference is when a cop screws up, the usual suspects use that info to bash the entire LE profession. That's not the case with other professions. For example, if a plumber murders someone, you'll never read generalized bashing of the plumbing profession or comments like: "just an isolated incident."

That and the shear volume of the threads. Folks go out of their way to find and post every cop news article from around the globe. You will never find five threads about the misdeeds of truck drivers on a single page of ARFcom discussion (although I'm sure I could find five articles a day if I searched hard enough).

And don't give me that BS about how you/they are only bashing 'corrupt' cops. Folks that have never spent a day in the uniform will bash cops that acted in complete accordance with the Constitution, state and local law, and department policy; simply because those posters have zero concept of police work. Either that, or they just don't like cops.

If you want to bash cops, fine, that's your perogative. But don't come into the BoTS and piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

I've done my time behind the badge, I'll have my say.

And, if I piss on your leg, I'll have the courtesy to tell you I'm marking my territory!

ETA:  Here's a recent exchange that demonstrates the source of, eh, "frustration" with LEO's, since most members rarely, if ever have any actual contact with them:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
They have a badge?

Not really, they act like regular people, unfortunately the whiners around here expect them to act better than the average Joe Citizen.

You're right.  Damn those whiners for expecting people with badges, guns, and the unique power to deprive us of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, to be better than the lowest common denominator.  

Spoken like someone with a record.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#32]
Remember that kid who screamed "It's a FREE COUNRY" when the teacher told him recess was over???

Well they do get older, and a bunch of them end up here...

Link Posted: 6/22/2008 12:59:48 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

A member who posts daily cop threads in GD is probably a troll.

There is one member here who posts more cop threads than any other, and probably more than most others combined.

He IS a LEO...
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A member who posts daily cop threads in GD is probably a troll.

There is one member here who posts more cop threads than any other, and probably more than most others combined.

He IS a LEO...

And is/was a mod at some time, IIRC...
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 1:19:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Puh-leeze.

Big +1
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 3:11:02 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Big +1!
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 3:19:55 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not talking about blind support of the police and I'm not talking about bashing an obvious abuse of power, or even a discussion about questionable things that could really go either way.
What I'm talking about it blatant, outright, contempt and disrespect of the police.  Making comments that are all-encompassing about the entire profession.  It just seems to me that you've got to be somewhat retarded to link one personal experience or link one story to tens of thousands of sworn personnel and paint them with a brush so broad as to leave no doubt that they are all inept fools.

See,this is where you sound like a cop. You think that "everyone is out to get you". That is what makes the line drawn. there are good cops,and bad cops. There is no "blatant,outright,contempt and disrespect of the police".
While I really believe in what the cops do,there are WAY too many bad cops in your midst.
The "camera" tell it like it is. it's up to the courts to decide who is right or wrong.
What makes you think that about society? Are you starting to fall into the "them against us' syndrome?
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 6:33:01 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 6:52:06 AM EDT
[#40]
The main problem with certain vocal posters here (and other places) is that they are against authority.  They'll gripe about ANYONE who has authority over anything.  

I've heard gripes about the door greeters at Walmart because they won't let you bring certain things in or insist on checking your purchases if they door alarm goes off.  Well guess what?  That person is a form of authority figure at that time for the store management, like it or not.  

Many people just resist anyone who is in authority.  But they certainly want the law applied to other people who "need it" in their opinion....."just don't apply it to me because that's unfair" and the "cops are mean".  

I remember a guy once who had called in and was asking for extra patrol in his neighborhood because there were a lot of speeders.  So, we started spending extra time there patrolling for speeders.  Well guess who got pulled over in that neighborhood for speeding?  He told us that he was the one who had complained about the speeders and therefore, thought that he should get a break.  Did he get a break?  NO.  

I have started working a situation with one understanding about what was going on and then upon investigating, I found out that there was something totally understandable happening.  If you don't know why the police acted in a certain way, ask them!!  I'm more than happy to explain what was going on and why I did a certain thing....and I've not only done so for me but I've also explained the actions of my officers who I supervise who were acting properly but the person we were dealing with simply didn't understand why they did what they did.

Now when I deal with the scum of society, I don't care if they like me.  I want them to fear me.  I arrested a shitbag a couple nights ago for breaking into cars (citizen called it in and was a big help to enable us to catch him)...basically caught him in the act.  He complained about me being "rough" with him to my highers.  I really don't care if I was a little rough with him because he is a piece of shit and will always be a piece of shit.  I'd much rather have people's respect but if I can't have that, then fear works almost as well.  

Many people here are good, law abiding people who I'd be happy to be a partner with in the fight against the scum of society.  But, there is a small but very vocal minority here who like to gripe about any form of authority.  They always will because they don't like the fact that ANYONE can tell them what to do.  

A number of the vocal minority here like to loudly protest "that's my right".  All they worry about is their "rights".   Well what about your responsibilities as a citizen?  Rights are popular.....responsibilities are not.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:04:20 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

+1

The OP is way too opinionated on the subject and just stirring the pot.

Quoted:

A little thin skinned, too.

Be like the cops, son. Grow some rhino skin. You are on the internet.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#43]
I have yet to see any of this so-called "Cop-bashing" on this site.  Any concrete examples or are we just speaking in hypotheticals?
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:22:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I have yet to see any of this so-called "Cop-bashing" on this site.  Any concrete examples or are we just speaking in hypotheticals?

You won't see it here much because the mods do a good job controlling it.  You will see a lot of it in GD.  That why I rarely go in there!!
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

See,this is where you sound like a cop. You think that "everyone is out to get you". That is what makes the line drawn. there are good cops,and bad cops. There is no "blatant,outright,contempt and disrespect of the police".
While I really believe in what the cops do,there are WAY too many bad cops in your midst.
The "camera" tell it like it is. it's up to the courts to decide who is right or wrong.
What makes you think that about society? Are you starting to fall into the "them against us' syndrome?

You obviously don't have much experience with the crap of society.  Our society is falling apart.  The amount of crap that LE needs to deal with is increasing rapidly with the rise of the welfare state.  

Stop watching Andy Griffith.  Those days of good people are long gone.  

There are plenty of good people out there but the number of bad people is increasing.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:26:17 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, there is much hate here of members and LEO's. I myself have bashed cops here.
The problem, I think, is most folks here support leo's getting shit off the the streets (god bless 'em), but when you are treated badly, it kinda hits home with you.

It has happened to me. When you are sitting on a couch watching tv in your living room, and opening your door greeted by two officers aiming pistols at your head, then you would be pissed off as well.

The neighbors called 911 and said they saw flashlights in our house.

I don't hate cops. I just wish I could understand why they treat people the way they do.

Exactly how would you prefer they handle a possible burglary in progress? All the talk around here of people's masturbatory fantasies of clearing their own house if they come home to an open door... well some of us have to do that shit for a job. And I'd prefer to come home to my 2 year old son at the end of the night.

And it's been my experience that the only place people DON'T bitch about us 'getting the shit off the streets', whether that's dope, criminals, or what, is here in BOTS. Everywhere else, people start screaming about the Constitution (which I, having fought for it, take very seriously) and calling us JBT's and talking about 'legalizing it' and how we should just wait at the station until the criminals show up to turn themselves in, because any sort of investigation or preemptive proactive work becomes 'harassment' and 'gestapo police state-ism'.

eta - I've been on ARFCOM since before I was a cop. I used to see the world in this rose-colored naivete where all the population in the US revered the Constitution, where people respected their fellow man, and people were willing to handle their problems like men and do the right thing. I thought this way because, being a decent person myself, and surrounding myself with decent people, I'd really never run across the alternative, except on the evening news.

Then, I got this job. And I was exposed (rather quickly) to the seedy, horrid underbelly of the US. People who will prey on the weak, the slow, and the stupid, and get glee from doing so. People who could not give two shits if other people lived or died, or even if they themselves lived or died, as long as they were 'getting theirs'. People for whom money is THE top goal, followed shortly by getting high and getting laid. People who fully expected the govt or others to step in and run their lives for them - raise their out-of-control kids, pay for their food, pay for their housing, fix their arguments with their of-like-kind neighbors after they stir the pot.

I got exposed to the first time to hard drug use, 4th generation welfare recipients, frauds, theives, and violent assholes who simply refuse to stay in line with decent societal expectations. I was a rich white kid with a silver spoon, thrown into the ghetto and I was totally shocked.

But now, I've got a decent feel for the streets, and I have learned two irrefutable maxims -

*Many people are assholes, and will stab their neighbor/stranger/friend in the back for the slightest gain.

*Some people understand sheer force and nothing less.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:31:31 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

The OP is way too opinionated on the subject and just stirring the pot.

Quoted:

A little thin skinned, too.

Be like the cops, son. Grow some rhino skin. You are on the internet.

Where exactly do you see the facts in the OP's posts to substantiate your statement? Calling someone a Troll when unable to form an intelligent argument makes one look feeble minded. Why don't you challenge him intellectually instead of slinging shit.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:35:45 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

You obviously don't have much experience with the crap of society.  Our society is falling apart.  The amount of crap that LE needs to deal with is increasing rapidly with the rise of the welfare state.  

Nope.

Things have always been bad in certain areas.  You can go through ANY period of American history and point out serious crime.

Sounds like you have tunnel vision... or perhaps "woe is me" syndrome?  If it's so bad... quit.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:40:50 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

All the talk around here of people's masturbatory fantasies of clearing their own house if they come home to an open door... well some of us have to do that shit for a job.

You DON'T clear your home after an extended absence, say for a vacation???

Again, if it's so tuff on you, QUIT.
Link Posted: 6/22/2008 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Gotta keep Johnny Law in his place

as Officers have to keep jimmy crackhead in his.....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top