Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/27/2016 8:08:08 PM EDT
I'm LEO, and my long term girlfriend is beginning her career in law enforcement as well, currently in several processes and a reserve officer at a large, very active dept. while on her way to work today, at her non LEO job, she was pulled over by a state trooper on the highway for no front plate (required here). I've always explained to her when I get stopped (very few times) I hand the officer my OL, with my LEO ID underneith, and I let them do what they need to do.....Well she did just that and the Trooper returned with a citation for "No Seatbelt" he advised her since she was -only- a reserve officer, she was not "afforded the professional courtesy" as they say, to get a freebie.

Now I get it, whatever, he was within the law to give her a ticket (which I'll be paying for ) but I find it as a dick move personally. Everyone has their own principles and that's how you roll fine. But telling her due to ONLY being reserves (doing our jobs for free until she gets on FT) is pretty shitty.....

Owell, lesson learned.....buckle up folks....

For the record I don't think I've ever given anyone a seat belt ticket....they're considered chicken shit here.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:24:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm LEO, and my long term girlfriend is beginning her career in law enforcement as well, currently in several processes and a reserve officer at a large, very active dept. while on her way to work today, at her non LEO job, she was pulled over by a state trooper on the highway for no front plate (required here). I've always explained to her when I get stopped (very few times) I hand the officer my OL, with my LEO ID underneith, and I let them do what they need to do.....Well she did just that and the Trooper returned with a citation for "No Seatbelt" he advised her since she was -only- a reserve officer, she was not "afforded the professional courtesy" as they say, to get a freebie.

Now I get it, whatever, he was within the law to give her a ticket (which I'll be paying for ) but I find it as a dick move personally. Everyone has their own principles and that's how you roll fine. But telling her due to ONLY being reserves (doing our jobs for free until she gets on FT) is pretty shitty.....

For the record I don't think I've ever given anyone a seat belt ticket....they're considered chicken shit here.
View Quote

I thought OHP would ticket their own mother.

Txl
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:58:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I can see OHP doing that. They have a superiority complex a mile wide.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:59:17 PM EDT
[#3]
A buddy of mine is OHP, I couldn't believe when he told me lowering the speed on the ticket for  full time sworn LEO's was a professional courtesy.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:38:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Who cares.  Warnings are nice and I give a lot of them.  But, when my wife got stopped by a state trooper and got a ticket, I didn't care.  She was speeding and got caught.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:10:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Does it suck that another cop would hand out a pinch, and be a jerk about "reserves"? Yeah. So does expecting professional courtesy. If I screw up, I own it. If that means I eat a ticket, so be it. If someone wants to give me a warning because I'm a cop, great. I'll take it, and do so graciously. But I don't expect it. Expecting it gives me the feeling as if I'm supposed to get away with things, like I'm better than other people. I won't cite another cop for a traffic violation, but if I get one, I'll live.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:29:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does it suck that another cop would hand out a pinch, and be a jerk about "reserves"? Yeah. So does expecting professional courtesy. If I screw up, I own it. If that means I eat a ticket, so be it. If someone wants to give me a warning because I'm a cop, great. I'll take it, and do so graciously. But I don't expect it. Expecting it gives me the feeling as if I'm supposed to get away with things, like I'm better than other people. I won't cite another cop for a traffic violation, but if I get one, I'll live.
View Quote

Trust me neither of us are losing any sleep over it....like I said one of those things ya just gotta shake your head at. Again the part that gets me is his explanation. But like I said, whatever, if that's how you operate so be it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Take that "professional courtesy" bull and shove it up your ass.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Why doesn't she have a front plate, if its required by law in your state?

J-
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:38:44 AM EDT
[#9]
OH sheepdogs run plates front and back.

ALSO

OH LEO nepotism.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:17:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have maintained for some time now that professional courtesy is following the speed limit, or in this instance putting on your seatbelt.

I don't identify myself as personnel of an agency when I get pulled over. I do Identify has a LTC holder though.

Funny story, I got a ticket on my way to work one time. The officer saw me while dropping off an inmate and told me he wouldn't have ticketed me if I would have identified myself. When he asked why I didn't identify myself and I explained the above.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This thread is embarrassing.
View Quote

If you want to complain about state troopers writing her, have at it..  I've heard many of them will write anyone/everyone..

If you post in ARFCOM GD/BOTS that you expect her to get out of it because of her starting her career in LE, (professional
courtesy, you should probably expect this thread not to go the way you want....

Many outspoken here (GD, which this is subforum) who do not like LEO's, especially when  said LEO expects "professional courtesy"

JMO
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:25:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with the others about the "professional courtesy" BS. when I was an MP at a large installation is stopped a vehicle for speeding the first thing the driver said was " im so and so with the xxx MP unit" he wasn't from my base and it wouldn't have mattered if he was he still got a ticket. when I was doing that job I already made up my mind if I was going to cite or give a warning before I made first contact.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:54:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I already made up my mind if I was going to cite or give a warning before I made first contact.
View Quote

What was the logic used for that? Not being argumentative, I just want to know.  Is everyone you stop going so fast they deserve a ticket regardless of the circumstances?  

Standards vary greatly from department to department for reserves. I'm a sworn reserve for a SO. Our department is pretty selective. We go through the same hiring process as full time officers (PT tests, polygraph, pysch interview, etc.)  and can not patrol until we are well  into the Academy. I've talked to a reserve from another County who was interviewed by the Sheriff, was handed a badge, and went on warrant service the next day.  With no set standards in many States I think reserves will always be looked at as second class wanna-bes by many full timers. I imagine  Troopers get to see the worst of the worst,  seeing  good ole boy reserves in every little  hick town that has a State highway running through it.    

The last time I got pulled over was ten years ago, and yeah I was speeding through a small Rural County out of State. I would appreciate, but don't expect any courtesy,  but would definitely be pissed about a BS ticket.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote
this

So law enforcement officers are not bound by the law. Gotcha. That's liberal ideology 101 BTW.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please explain.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you want to complain about state troopers writing her, have at it..  I've heard many of them will write anyone/everyone..

If you post in ARFCOM GD/BOTS that you expect her to get out of it because of her starting her career in LE, (professional

Many outspoken here (GD, which this is subforum) who do not like LEO's, especially when  said LEO expects "professional courtesy"

JMO
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

JMO
This.  Police officers have a hard enough time earning the trust of the public.  This shit doesn't help.  And I'm not talking about the talk of professional courtesy, I'm talking about the practice of it.

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This.  Police officers have a hard enough time earning the trust of the public.  This shit doesn't help.  And I'm not talking about the talk of professional courtesy, I'm talking about the practice of it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMO

Every time I hear people whine here about "professional courtesy" it makes me want to stop giving warnings to anyone and just write everyone I stop.

If a member of the public has a problem with me writing tickets or giving warnings, then I don't need or want their "trust".

And, I've never had a problem earning people's trust. Even people who hate cops. I've had people who hate cops tell me they hate cops....and then end the contact by offering for me to shake my hand. It's all in how you treat people....tickets and warnings have nothing to do with that. If you have formulated your opinion of my profession by some threads in GD, then you are a small minded person.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:20:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:05:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Trust me neither of us are losing any sleep over it....like I said one of those things ya just gotta shake your head at. Again the part that gets me is his explanation. But like I said, whatever, if that's how you operate so be it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No reason to shake your head. She was wrong, got caught and now has to own her mistake. I've been a FED LEO for over 15 years and if I get pulled over I expect to get cited. Some part time girl should expect the same.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 9:57:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So why don't you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

JMO

Every time I hear people whine here about "professional courtesy" it makes me want to stop giving warnings to anyone and just write everyone I stop.

If a member of the public has a problem with me writing tickets or giving warnings, then I don't need or want their "trust".

And, I've never had a problem earning people's trust. Even people who hate cops. I've had people who hate cops tell me they hate cops....and then end the contact by offering for me to shake my hand. It's all in how you treat people....tickets and warnings have nothing to do with that. If you have formulated your opinion of my profession by some threads in GD, then you are a small minded person.

So why don't you?

Would you rather get a warning or a citation?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:45:40 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm all for Officer discretion, including Professional  Courtesy, not everyone deserves a ticket.     I would imagine, if most were truthful, many people violate some traffic law
everyday, but not all are reckless or careless.

If they are reckless, careless, or just blatantly disregard the law, write them....   But many times, just a reminder to pay attention, or get your head back into the driving
game is all thats needed. Cops are people too, sometimes they need the same..

& for the all animals are not equal crowd, if you don't want a warning like others, just demand a ticket next time (if) you get stopped..
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
The cop should of just wrote the ticket, and not said anything about her current employment status.
Talk about adding insult to injury.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:23:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Chickenshit tickets are chickenshit. No one should get them.

The inverse is true for violations that potentially endanger lives.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm all for leeway, warnings and the like.....

(Note: I'm not law enforcement, however I peruse the forum often as a volunteer FF)....

That said....why should a off-duty cop get more leeway than say a normal person?

I say this because locally it's sorta become the good ol' boy club where the off-duties have a semi-regular habit of always cruising over the speed limit, not plating motorcycles,etc. because they're part of the club.....

Now being on the fire department, they've given me leeway as well.  I don't ask, or really want it, the rare time I screwed up, I deserved a ticket.....

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#26]
Discretion should be different than, a licence that says your in the same club so you get a pass on the law all others have to comply to.

What next to be upset about, the ticket someones mother got even with the police courtesy card an officer gave family members to fix a ticket.

The amazing attitude not understanding how a reserve cop got a ticket may have more to do with a person disliking cops,  than cops driving cars with flashy lights and themselves being pulled over.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:04:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pick up that can citizen.

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:06:15 AM EDT
[#28]
OP has no qualms about Hillary being cut loose by the FBI. You know, "professional courtsey" an all......laws are for the little people.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:16:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm all for leeway, warnings and the like.....

(Note: I'm not law enforcement, however I peruse the forum often as a volunteer FF)....

That said....why should a off-duty cop get more leeway than say a normal person?

I say this because locally it's sorta become the good ol' boy club where the off-duties have a semi-regular habit of always cruising over the speed limit, not plating motorcycles,etc. because they're part of the club.....

Now being on the fire department, they've given me leeway as well.  I don't ask, or really want it, the rare time I screwed up, I deserved a ticket.....

View Quote

Because the punishment is not equal.

In many LE jobs, a ticket can result in very harsh career penalties.  

In 99% of non LE jobs, a ticket is nothing.  

I had a good friend get jammed up hard BC his agency had some strange insurance policy that would not cover him if he had a moving violation in the last 5 years.  He got a ticket and presto...can't drive a gov vehicle.  Now he can't do his job...and fired.

All that over a stupid speeding ticket?  

That is why.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:47:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Ok so my take away is that our resident cop haters believe that warnings are bullshit and everyone who gets pulled over should get a ticket.

Got it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:47:30 AM EDT
[#31]
I relieved that LE is the only job that has "Profession Courtesy"

Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:58:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:27:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I have maintained for some time now that professional courtesy is following the speed limit, or in this instance putting on your seatbelt.

I don't identify myself as personnel of an agency when I get pulled over. I do Identify has a LTC holder though.

Funny story, I got a ticket on my way to work one time. The officer saw me while dropping off an inmate and told me he wouldn't have ticketed me if I would have identified myself. When he asked why I didn't identify myself and I explained the above.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  I drive in such a way that I hopefully will never put a fellow LEO in a position to decide whether or not to exercise "Professional Courtesy".

I am required to identify myself during any encounter with law enforcement, but I haven't been stopped since I've worked here (yet).
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What was the logic used for that? Not being argumentative, I just want to know. Is everyone you stop going so fast they deserve a ticket regardless of the circumstances?  

Standards vary greatly from department to department for reserves. I'm a sworn reserve for a SO. Our department is pretty selective. We go through the same hiring process as full time officers (PT tests, polygraph, pysch interview, etc.)  and can not patrol until we are well  into the Academy. I've talked to a reserve from another County who was interviewed by the Sheriff, was handed a badge, and went on warrant service the next day.  With no set standards in many States I think reserves will always be looked at as second class wanna-bes by many full timers. I imagine  Troopers get to see the worst of the worst,  seeing  good ole boy reserves in every little  hick town that has a State highway running through it.    

The last time I got pulled over was ten years ago, and yeah I was speeding through a small Rural County out of State. I would appreciate, but don't expect any courtesy,  but would definitely be pissed about a BS ticket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I already made up my mind if I was going to cite or give a warning before I made first contact.

What was the logic used for that? Not being argumentative, I just want to know. Is everyone you stop going so fast they deserve a ticket regardless of the circumstances?  

Maybe, maybe not.  I think what he's trying to get at is that by deciding before first contact to warn or cite, it takes preferential treatment or favoritism out of the equation.

For the record, I won't even stop a car until at least 15 over but usually write for 9 over.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
this

So law enforcement officers are not bound by the law. Gotcha. That's liberal ideology 101 BTW.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
this

ETA:  Disregard.  I figured it out.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 7:04:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ok so my take away is that our resident cop haters believe that warnings are bullshit and everyone who gets pulled over should get a ticket.

Got it.
View Quote

Right. That's what people are saying.

#thinblueline
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:30:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

#thinblueline
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.

#thinblueline

Thanks for clarifying.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I think everything that needs to be said in this thread has been said.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 2:09:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I think everything that needs to be said in this thread has been said.
View Quote

Agreed....  Shut ER down.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:39:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Because the punishment is not equal.

In many LE jobs, a ticket can result in very harsh career penalties.  

In 99% of non LE jobs, a ticket is nothing.  

I had a good friend get jammed up hard BC his agency had some strange insurance policy that would not cover him if he had a moving violation in the last 5 years.  He got a ticket and presto...can't drive a gov vehicle.  Now he can't do his job...and fired.

All that over a stupid speeding ticket?  

That is why.
View Quote

That's bullshit.

Under those circumstances I would probably let it slide.

OTOH I hold LEOs to the same standard I hold the ordinary guy because last time I checked you guys are human. It is a double edged thing, though, and I go through life pretty disappointed.

I hold my fellow citizens to the same standard I hold LEOs to.

Incidentally as a general rule I do not hold LEOs to any special holy standard. To me they are nothing more or less than members of another trade such as pipefitters, welders etc.

Those tradesmen have mechanical skills. Good LEOs have people skills (which I seem to lack).

I have said before that a poor LEO can turn a minor disagreement into a major riot, but a good LEO can turn a major brawl into a church picnic. (so to speak)

One of the things I have seen in the department that serves me is the ability to make small stupid things go away and vanish into thin air. This kind of cop is a CRAFTSMAN.

ETA A good cop is a precious jewel as is a good tradesman.

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#42]
The last time I forgot to belt was when I was in and out of the car, and wasn't sure if I was going to have to hit the road again or get out until just before I hit the ignition. I noticed and belted up before getting to the next block. If you're in the habit of belting, how do you not realize after your first turn or stop at the latest, that you're getting jostled around more?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:15:58 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

View Quote

It's click it or ticket season.......

Do I need a ticket that bad that I have to write a reserve....No. But apparently she ran across "that guy" and he felt he did.

Link Posted: 9/3/2016 9:17:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Cops giving other cops tickets might not go so well when they backing up one another if they are doing some multi agency type activity or calling another agency to check on something. City A has a car full of Joe Shitbags that had been following around the UPS truck and swiping packages from doorsteps. City A cops send a request to City B cops to attempt to locate the vehicle. City B beat cop who gets the call, however, decides that since since he just got cited by City A cops he has no interest in helping them in their case and just clears it after spending 1/100th of a second looking for them.

And ultimately it's John Q that suffers as a result.

Get over it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 2:15:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah dick move. Why knock someone down just cause they are a reserve officer? In fact why knock them down anyways for anything? Our troopers are OK actually tho they think they are Judge Dredd's, which is kinda funny cause we can see more shit in a week then they can in a career. Im just tired of dicks on this job in general. We have them to, they will give more service to some shit head then they will another coppers family.

Unless its a kid I dont write for seat belts. Its not my Job to be Govt.s Nanny and make sure everyone is its Bitch.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#46]
holy cow this thread still going? WTF.

J-
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Have to agree with what someone else said: "This thread is embarrassing," especially considering everyone else on this forum can see this stuff. Yep, shitty to say you're only a reserve officer, however, I can't believe this is being discussed on an open forum. This kind of stuff is another reason people love firemen and hate cops. Yes, I'm a retired state trooper in AZ.
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 3:47:34 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Have to agree with what someone else said: "This thread is embarrassing," especially considering everyone else on this forum can see this stuff. Yep, shitty to say you're only a reserve officer, however, I can't believe this is being discussed on an open forum. This kind of stuff is another reason people love firemen and hate cops. Yes, I'm a retired state trooper in AZ.
View Quote

My question of " Why didn't she have a front plate when required" was never answered either. oh well.lol

J-
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 5:05:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes it is

I thought I got I to the LEO only forum by accident at first
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#50]
I want to say that the whole "professional courtesy" thing is bullshit, but I have benefited from it in the past. So I'm not going to cast stones.

However the whole HP thing is not limited to Ohio. The HP here are weapons grade d-bags too. Metro cops are pretty chill most of the time, but they still get their job done and they get much more respect.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top