Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2015 10:19:11 AM EDT
My brother in law took some EMT classes back in the day but coal mining was paying a whole hell of a lot better so he ended up underground.  He joined the mine rescue team and he’s a certified emergency medical responder for the mine.  Recently he’s been reading the MSHA/EPA/political tea leaves and is getting concerned about the long term future of coal in our area, and I suppose one of his preferred post-coal careers would be EMT.  Also, there have been two incidents in the past year in which I’ve had to use the small trauma kit that travels with me, probably has him thinking.  For a birthday gift he’s asked for a basic EMT kit for his vehicle; or, if a full kit is too expensive, some foundational tools that he can add to later.  I am a layperson with ARC first aid and some back country/ditch medicine classes, I’d appreciate some advice on what to get.

He is a quality over quantity guy.  A couple family members are kicking in, budget is up to $225, perhaps $300 if that will make a big difference (in which case I’ll give him a hearty handshake for Christmas).

What he specifically mentioned was:
decent bag
stethoscope
blood pressure cuff
bandages
Kerlix gauze
CPR mask
Etc.

Which seems to describe the basic EMT kit.  Is there a go to kit you would recommend for my BIL, or do you guys prefer to piece something together?  A bigger kit or a smaller kit with some improvements, like bag mask, quickclot, or what?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#1]
well not that I have much experience, being just a paramedic student, but I don't think people would disagree.

I would add at least one CAT to that list, maybe 2.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#2]
This is a kit I put together for keeping in the car back when I was an EMT.  I am now a Paramedic so what I carry now has changed. I would now add in at least 2 CAT tourniquets.

Pacific Emergency Trauma Module
Full set of OPAs
1 Lg Trauma Dressing
2 ABD Pads
2 Telfa Pads
Handful of Non Sterile 4x4s
2 triangle Bandages
1 Izzy Bandage
2 Ace Bandages
2 Rolls of Non Sterile Kling
2 Rolls of Tape
1 AMK Emergency Blanket
1 NPA Set
4 Saline Bullets
4 Pairs of Lg Gloves
1 Hemostat
1 Trauma Shears
1 INOVA LED Light
1 Pocket BVM
1 Suction Easy
1 Pen
1 SOAP Pad
1 Sam Soft Shell Splint
1 Asherman Chest Seal
2 Small Bio Bags
Assorted Band Aids
Stethoscope

Link Posted: 7/23/2015 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
We were given a nice Red Cross first aid kit from Target.  It is surprisingly good and has come in handy on a couple occasions.  I am looking for a link to the exact kit, so that you have an idea. It has a good assortment of gauze, tape, antibiotic ointment, anti-histamine (anti-itch), flashlights, emergency radio, gloves, bandaids, etc. etc.

Here is a good references that I have found during my search:

http://www.redcross.org/prepare/location/home-family/get-kit/anatomy
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Why not give him a gift certificate to a medical supply store, or an online provider of rescue specific EMS bags? That way he can purchase what he knows he needs and likes.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:07:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I talked to him some more and he wants something a little smaller than I thought, we looked at Galls and he likes this kit: Dyna Med Mini-Medic Level 2 First Responder Kit

$131.29
Dressings & Bandages
Airway
16 Bandages (1" x 3")
1 CPR Mask
2 Abdominal Pads (5" x 9")
Burn
1 Trauma Dressing (12" x 30")
1 Burn Pad (4" x 4")
10 PVP Iodine Wipes
Equipment & Supplies
20 Gauze Pads (4" x 4")
2 Small Cold Packs
10 Gauze Pads (3" x 3")
1 Space Blanket
2 Blood Stoppers
10 Pair Nitrile Gloves
2 Gauze Rolls (4" NS)
1 Eye Wash (4 oz)
2 Gauze Rolls (3" NS)
1 BP/Stethoscope
10 Alcohol Wipes
1 SAM Splint
10 Antimicrobial Wipes
1 Mini Mag Flashlight
1 Waterproof Tape (1")
1 First Aid Booklet
1 Waterproof Tape (½")
1 Instrument Pack
1 Elastic Bandage (3")
Shears
1 Elastic Bandage (4")
Bandage Scissors
2 Triangular Bandages
Penlight
4 Eye Pads
Kelly Forceps
2 Kerlix (4½")
Splinter Forceps
10 Antibiotic Ointment (½g)

Any thoughts?  I think I'd improve it with a little of this and that like a headlamp for hands free light and an Asherman chest seal.  Do you think a  bag valve mask is worth it?

Quoted:
Why not give him a gift certificate to a medical supply store, or an online provider of rescue specific EMS bags? That way he can purchase what he knows he needs and likes.
View Quote

Eh, cash and certificates go against my gift giving philosophy.  I like to make an effort and learn something about them.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#6]
My only recommendation is to ditch the crap stethoscope that usually comes in a kit and get a cheap Littman off Amazon.  The cheap twin tube ones are really bad.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#8]
A lot of pre-packaged med kits have a lot of stuff that never gets used.  I think you might be better off buying him an empty backpack style bag Stat Packs and let him fill it up with what he wants.  A backpack might be considerably more useful if he's doing Search and Rescue or in confined spaces underground.  Also, a suburban service I work for is trialing a backpack to replace the overloaded megaduffle and so far people seem to really like it.

Try to look at Moore Medical besides just the Galls website.  I've found them to be a little cheaper.

Some stuff to consider starting off with:

4x4 sponges, a bunch
5x9 ABD pads, a few
10x30 trauma dressing, one or two
non-sterile exam gloves
stethoscope (I hear far better with an ADC platinum Adscope that was half the price of my Littman Cardiology, YMMV)
a BP cuff kit - several sizes of cuff that share one gauge
tape
roller gauze
a couple small bottles of normal saline or sterile water
oral glucose or cake frosting
pocket mask
scissors

No doubt I'm missing a few things, but that's a good example to get started with.  He can add more stuff on his own as he gains experience and sees what he really uses/likes.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top