Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/6/2014 7:12:49 PM EDT
Just wanted to stop in an introduce my self. I graduate the academy on the 10th, and start on the 12th. Any helpful tips for first few days on the job would be much appreciated. thanks all
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a cop, I just wanted to say congrats, good luck, and thanks for volunteering to serve your community.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hands up, don't shoot!

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 2:28:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just wanted to stop in an introduce my self. I graduate the academy on the 10th, and start on the 12th. Any helpful tips for first few days on the job would be much appreciated. thanks all
View Quote

Just listen to your FTO. No matter how well you did on the tests in the academy he knows more then you and has lived it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 8:01:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Congrats... not every call you go on is LE necessary.  Don't feel like because you're there it requires something from you.  The minute you start taking the job personal... it's time to leave.
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice guys it's much appericated. Met the guys I'm going to be working with the other day. All them seem pretty solid. Pick up my duty gun as well as my off duty from the store. I wonder if any the guys are arf members I have a bfl on my jeep so time will tell
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:34:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Be decisive.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Get your butt into the LEO forum on here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 7:50:06 PM EDT
[#8]
The true learning begins with the FTO.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Don't be specific about where you work here on Arfcom.
Vaya con Dios.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:29:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Remember what you've been trained on so far and hold that close.  While every call is different your academy level training, verbatims, knowledge of search and seizure law, and criminal elements  will get you through most of what you will deal with.  Minor nuances you will have to adapt to and roll with.  

For your first few days watch and learn what your FTO expects from you.  Learn from your mistakes and move on, don't snowball.  Your FTO is there to teach by example but to also let you go about doing things on your own yet reel you in before you make any major mistakes.  

Don't emulate other cops unless that other cop is your FTO.  You'll have years ahead of you to develop your own swagger.  For now keep your boots shined and your equipment clean.  

Remember that your mouth will get you into trouble quicker than anything else.  If it feels good to say you probably shouldn't say it.  

Realize that other cops will likely keep you at arms length until after you demonstrate you wont get them killed or get their ass in a sling.  Rookies come and rookies go.  Not all of them make it through field training.  The academy is the easy part.  It's a sterile environment with artificial stress.  Field training is where the rubber meets the road and all the fundamentals they teach in the academy are put to use and built upon.  If you are heading to a call of a type you haven't been on before let your FTO know so he can help you where needed.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Remember what you've been trained on so far and hold that close.  While every call is different your academy level training, verbatims, knowledge of search and seizure law, and criminal elements  will get you through most of what you will deal with.  Minor nuances you will have to adapt to and roll with.  

For your first few days watch and learn what your FTO expects from you.  Learn from your mistakes and move on, don't snowball.  Your FTO is there to teach by example but to also let you go about doing things on your own yet reel you in before you make any major mistakes.  

Don't emulate other cops unless that other cop is your FTO.  You'll have years ahead of you to develop your own swagger.  For now keep your boots shined and your equipment clean.  

Remember that your mouth will get you into trouble quicker than anything else.  If it feels good to say you probably shouldn't say it.  

Realize that other cops will likely keep you at arms length until after you demonstrate you wont get them killed or get their ass in a sling.  Rookies come and rookies go.  Not all of them make it through field training.  The academy is the easy part.  It's a sterile environment with artificial stress.  Field training is where the rubber meets the road and all the fundamentals they teach in the academy are put to use and built upon.  If you are heading to a call of a type you haven't been on before let your FTO know so he can help you where needed.
View Quote
Never understood that.  We aren't marching in a parade, we are working.  Going through a pair of Danners every 12-18 months really doesn't make me want to shine them.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:20:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Never understood that.  We aren't marching in a parade, we are working.  Going through a pair of Danners every 12-18 months really doesn't make me want to shine them.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pride and professionalism.  Look like a sack of shit, people treat you like a sack of shit.  Look like you have your shit together, people treat you like you've got your shit together.  

Also if you clean and polish your boots regularly, they tend to last quite a bit longer.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:28:19 PM EDT
[#13]
1.  Always tell the truth, google Brady Cops for additional reading.
2.  Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just don't make the same mistake twice.
3.  The cats who want to be your best friend on day one are the shitbags, the good cops will be standoffish for a bit while they get your measure.
4.  Do 8 hours for work for 8 hours of pay.
5.  Treat people the way you'd want your family treated.
6.  Never ask for free food, reduced movie tickets, ect.
7.  Don't be afraid to use force.
8.  When in doubt, write a report.
9.  Don't throw away your family, friends, or a marriage for the job.
10.Always have a sense of humor.

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:21:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
3.  The cats who want to be your best friend on day one are the shitbags, the good cops will be standoffish for a bit while they get your measure.

View Quote

#6, that is what my military ID is for.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Remember the 3 B's which will get you in trouble if your not careful.
Booze
Broads
Bucks
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:46:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Pride and professionalism.  Look like a sack of shit, people treat you like a sack of shit.  Look like you have your shit together, people treat you like you've got your shit together.  

Also if you clean and polish your boots regularly, they tend to last quite a bit longer.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have pride in my job.  If I'm going to be walking through a beet field, through a shit birds yard, or chasing cattle, I'm not going to waste my time shining shoes.

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I've only been on a couple of months but the book Emotional Survival for Law Enforcement was recommended to me. It's a very easy read and I feel like it was very beneficial for me (and great for family members or close friends too).

ETA: Gilmartin is the author.

If you are a reader I would also recommend either On Killing or On Combat (they cover mostly the same thing. Take my word for it, there is no need to read both) by Grossman. It's military but relates and is just a good all around informative read although not exactly an easy read.  

Link Posted: 12/19/2014 6:33:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I have read on combat when I was in the Marines. And thanks for advice guys I like to get a little bit from everyone when starting something new
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#19]
dont arrest firemen.   they are generally more badass then you will ever be.  and can drink more

good luck and congrats.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:59:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

This advice works well for every one regardless of the job.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Great job man! I graduated my academy in early November. I suggest you keep very humble and listen very closely to your FTO. Be respectful, and pay close attention to the police hierarchy. Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top