Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 6:19:44 PM EDT
Dammit screwed up poll  and cant edit it. #3 should read -not required and do not wear one.

Are you required to wear  bullet resistant vest?
Anyone not required, Why do you wear or not wear a vest?

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I am required to, but I would wear one anyways.  It won't stop everything, but it's better than trying to stop a bullet with a polyester shirt.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Required when in uniform.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Required for patrol unless its like 90+ degrees I believe.

I'd wear one anyways.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 7:05:43 AM EDT
[#4]
We're provided with a Lvl II and a policy.  There is an addendum to the policy which serves as a waiver for those that choose NOT to wear a vest.  I not only wear my vest, I have two additional trauma plates and a Lvl III steel plate rated to .30.  The steel plate is made by Second Chance and is probably 20 years old, but last I checked, steel doesn't degrade like kevlar.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Hell, I'd wear two of em if they'd give them to me.

In all seriousness, I wear mine every time I am in the car. I have my own private purchased plates and plate carrier in my go bag also. If I yank my rifle I am wearing plates.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Required when in uniform.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/22/2014 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Department policy says mandatory use of vests.  Prior to it becoming mandatory I always wore one.  A buddy of mine never wore one until he got into an OIS.  Wears it everyday now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:04:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Required.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:45:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Required.
View Quote

Same dept, same requirement. Only exceptions are certain plain clothes operations.

That said, why wouldn't you wear one, especially in uniform?  If your performing patrol related activities, common sense should dictate.  

I know many EMS members that work for the city, in areas where you should wear a vest, that don't. Makes no sense.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:28:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I always wear a IIIa on patrol. Generally on details, I step down to a IIa like the rest of patrol (vest-wearers, anyway). Wear is optional at my agency. I do not wear a vest on tubing (river) details, in case I have to jump in and swim. I keep a UDT floatation vest handy there (non-ballistic). I wear the IIIa for any court-related details, as I feel the statistical risk is almost equally high as when patrolling.

In the trunk, I have a plate carrier with SAPI's and IIIa plate-backers. It has rifle mags (for my Colt Commando clone) and a medkit on it as well. I bought all that, but was issued the IIa and IIIa concealable vests. (Everyone is issued a IIa, but my chief noticed I wear mine religiously and hooked me up with a great-fitting IIIa.) How they fit you greatly affects the feel and "bulkiness," or lack thereof, that you experience. Obviously IIIa is a little thicker/hotter/heavier. It sucks in the summer, especially in southeast LA, but I never leave home without it. No, I haven't been shot at, but I always go home.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#11]
required while on the street, not while in an office capacity.

I wear it all the time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I wear it all the time.
View Quote

Yep
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:35:31 AM EDT
[#13]
When in uniform. Few people tried to bring in the external vest carriers. Chief didn't like that the seam edge on the outer sections was a different shade than the rest of it. Didn't hurt my feelings any, just one more thing to take care of, mess up, destroy, loose, etc.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 9:55:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I wear it all the time.
View Quote

This.  For the office pogues it has to be in the office with them, not buried in a locker somewhere.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Policy requires us to wear it but I know a lot of people who don't. A lot of those people are SGT and above...
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:47:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Provided, but not required.  Very few people on the street that don't wear one.  If I have my uniform on, I have my vest on.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:37:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Provided but not required, I won't work without one.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:45:31 PM EDT
[#18]
If I'm in uniform and in public I wear it. Many cops don't wear it to court... I still do. I don't wear it for any classroom training.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:17:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'd wear one anyways.
View Quote

I laugh at your 90* and raise you 25*.  Yeah we wear em in 115* heat.  Would even if I didn't have to.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I laugh at your 90* and raise you 25*.  Yeah we wear em in 115* heat.  Would even if I didn't have to.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd wear one anyways.

But it's a dry heat.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 5:42:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Required and would regardless. I think you're an idiot if you do not but to each their own I suppose...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Not required to but every single officer does.

The only times I don't wear one is when I'm doing administrative tasks in a locked room that is in a locked building. I then keep it on the driver's side seat of my patrol car which is locked in a garage so if I go out in public for any reason whatsoever it goes on.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 5:55:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Required to wear one, but would wear one even if I wasn't.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:19:52 PM EDT
[#24]
It is required unless you have a doctors note.  While on the range it is up to the individual officer unless us instructors make it mandatory. Some of the brass choose not to and some couldn't get their vest on unless they were issued a ballistic blanket.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 5:33:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Required for patrol.  Detectives carry externals in their vehicle and are required to put them on if they answer a call or back up patrol for a call for service but not when they respond in just an investigating capacity.  We are not required to wear them if just going to court or other even when we are not "working".  I wear mine anytime I have a uniform on.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 3:03:14 AM EDT
[#26]
In rural Oklahoma, unfortunately, they were not provided and most of us couldn't afford to purchase one on our own. Even finding hand-me-downs was a chore. I'm out on the street for 13 hours per night. Still can't afford one. :(
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:11:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In rural Oklahoma, unfortunately, they were not provided and most of us couldn't afford to purchase one on our own. Even finding hand-me-downs was a chore. I'm out on the street for 13 hours per night. Still can't afford one. :(
View Quote

Then you need to get your priorities straight.
Not trying to sound like an ass but there are plenty of grants, discounts etc etc to make Bn it happen. Hell, a little OT here and there...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top