Posted: 5/8/2011 9:25:20 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 9:43:50 AM EDT
[#1]
ost.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 12:05:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Whole lot of WTF in that story.  It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 4:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
There will be no winners in this case, however it shakes out. Except maybe the Bradyites.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If what was released in the beginning is true, this ticket would be enough points to suspend his DL, he told Officer Davis his brother was a cop expecting not to get a cite, he got the cite, then shot Officer Davis in the face.

Complete insanity, we are not talking about a guy with nothing to lose here.  WTF; Over a possibility of having his DL suspended?
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Fry him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:09:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If what was released in the beginning is true, this ticket would be enough points to suspend his DL, he told Officer Davis his brother was a cop expecting not to get a cite, he got the cite, then shot Officer Davis in the face.

Complete insanity, we are not talking about a guy with nothing to lose here.  WTF; Over a possibility of having his DL suspended?

A suspended DL would mean no six figure job.

He could have afforded a town car service for a month or two while his DL was suspended. Or, he could simply not drive badly enough to get suspended in the first place.

This just goes to show that having a concealed handgun/weapons permit doesn't mean someone is an upstanding citizen and doesn't mean they aren't potentially dangerous.  It means they passed some kind of (usually rudimentary) background check and paid a fee. Don't get me wrong, I would wager that over 99% of these people are your average, normal law abiding citizen, but there are a few bad apples. I may get flamed for it, but I really don't see any value in having a state regulated permit system to carry concealed. AK, AZ and NH have it right IMO.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:25:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No kidding. This is crazy.

Link Posted: 5/8/2011 7:55:47 PM EDT
[#12]
He killed a cop over a speeding ticket.  There's no whitewashing that.

Fry him.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#13]
i hate to say this but people are driven and effected by stressors. Good and honest people sometimes snap and do messed up stuff because they dont have the mental stamina to handle some of the stress that builds up in life.

We havent had a workplace "going postal" shooting in a few years that has garnered much national publicity so many of us tend to forget the danger of it but there are people that are walking around who are so ate up with personal problems that they are near the breaking point of snapping and shooting up a post office or kinkos copy center or anybody that pushes them over the edge or gives them "the straw that breaks the camels back".

It sounds like this guy was just a walking time bomb already and the ticket sent him into a rage and he killed the cop without thinking. I would not be surprised to learn that the guy has a problem with his temper or is a rageaholic, acts impulsively, or fantasized about being involved in a shooting.

This situation should be a reminder to keep all cops on their toes and be aware that not all active shooters happen in schools from creepy trench coat kids or come from muslim terrorists. I remember studying alot of them in college that just came from pissed off strung out people.

And finally, you can try to climb into the shooters head all day, but in the end it boils down to the fact that hes a murderer who killed a cop for absolutely no good reason and he needs to hang for it.

ETA: the mentall illness, "my migranes made me murder a cop" excuse isnt going to fly with anyone at all. The guy was sane enough to drive around and interact normally with society until the moment that he met this officer and pulled the trigger. The guy isnt crazy, hes just a murderer.

I think its unfortunate that the insanity defense is the only defense that will get a person off for murder because every murderer uses it and after a while it starts to paint killers as crazy and the public thinks that everyone who kills has to be crazy. The truth is that there are some humans walking around among us that are simply more able to take another life. Some people are just murderers and dont deserve to have freedom.
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#14]
He should simply be responsible for his own actions and let the cards lay the way they are.  You typically are crazing when you kill someone.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Put me squarely in the FRY HIM camp also his brother was harboring a fugitive in a LEO Murder case he needs to think about that for a long time at a state run facility.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 10:28:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Put me squarely in the FRY HIM camp also his brother was harboring a fugitive in a LEO Murder case he needs to think about that for a long time at a state run facility.

This... times infinity.
-SS

Link Posted: 5/9/2011 10:43:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Didn't know that about the brother.  Blood is thicker than water, but when your brother is a cop-killer, you need to do some time for harboring him.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:25:58 AM EDT
[#18]
Everyone makes dumb mistakes, but shooting someone over a citation/suspended DL just goes way beyond a normal range for thought process.  He really needs his insane choices rewarded with a lethal injection.  Still a pure WTF situation.

Family is one thing but criminal action draws the line, and that line falls far short of this situation.  Hope his bro enjoys a long vacation in a state jail facility.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#20]
extremely poorly worded thread title
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:42:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:33:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may get flamed for it, but I really don't see any value in having a state regulated permit system to carry concealed. AK, AZ and NH have it right IMO.

Without a permit system, even with a rudimentary background check, you help to seperate some of the wheat from some of the chaff.
Then, when you get someone carrying without a permit, it is very likely that they are a bad guy.
I used to be in favor of everyone being able to carry a gun, until I realized just who "everyone" was.

I used to be in favor of everyone having free speech, until I realized just who everyone was.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I may get flamed for it, but I really don't see any value in having a state regulated permit system to carry concealed. AK, AZ and NH have it right IMO.

Without a permit system, even with a rudimentary background check, you help to seperate some of the wheat from some of the chaff.
Then, when you get someone carrying without a permit, it is very likely that they are a bad guy.
I used to be in favor of everyone being able to carry a gun, until I realized just who "everyone" was.

I agree.  Freedom requires responsible behavior on the part of the people.  Society is becoming more and more irresponsible and narcissistic...so society at large ends up with more rules and restrictions.  Sucks...but that is reality.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:52:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to be in favor of everyone having free speech, until I realized just who everyone was.

Honestly, what does a permit actually do? A person gets a background check, presents some kind of "training" document and pays a fee. They are then in a database. Let's break this down a bit.

Background check: imperfect at best. I personally know of an outlaw motorcycle gang member that has a valid Oregon CHL. I've seen a person with a valid Oregon CHL who was arrested because he was a black gang associate and doing nefarious things, but hadn't been arrested yet. I wrote a report regarding a valid Oregon CHL holder who, in a fit of road rage, pointed his handgun at people. Twice that we know of. I believe that if someone is legally allowed to own a gun, they legally should be able to carry it. If someone is a criminal or otherwise has demonstrated a pattern of behavior that shows they are a menace to society, they shouldn't be able to buy a gun, much less carry one. So, if someone can possess a gun, why shouldn't they carry it? Seems like "partial" rights.

Training requirement: when I got my CHL 18 years ago or so, the "training" was a one or two hour class at a local range. It was laughable, and covered some legal principles and safety issues, but had no trigger time and there was no test. It's a joke. The ONLY way I would support any kind of mandatory training is if it were offered FREE by a local LE agency and was easy to schedule.

Pay a fee and be in a database. Why? $$$$$$$$

A permit really accomplishes two things IMO. First, it is a (sometimes minor) roadblock to people that would otherwise arm themselves.  I'm usually not a "black & white" type of guy, and understand there is a myriad of "shades of gray" in the world, but this is one of the few things were I don't see moral middle ground. NYC/Chicago are just two examples of the permit system run amok. Why should the State dictate if a person can exercise their Constitutional Rights? The second thing it accomplishes is to gather money.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.  Freedom requires responsible behavior on the part of the people.  Society is becoming more and more irresponsible and narcissistic...so society at large ends up with more rules and restrictions.  Sucks...but that is reality.

So, instead of holding the irresponsible people accountable, pass more rules and restrictions that affect the responsible people?
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#27]

take it to the GD board pls.
Link Posted: 5/9/2011 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 4:43:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 4:49:25 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:54:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Tape of I-65 shooting leaves family members crying in the courtroom

In the audio of the tape, Officer Philip Davis can be heard telling Bart Wayne Johnson he had stopped him for speeding, asking him if he has his driver's license, and whether the car belongs to him.

Johnson replies that, no, he just stole it.

"I'm glad you're in a jovial mood," Davis says.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/05/tape_of_i-65_shooting_leaves_f.html

State rests case in trial of Bart Wayne Johnson in slaying of Pelham police officer

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2011/05/state_rests_case_in_trial_of_b.html

Fry the smart-ass.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 5:59:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Sounds to me like he had the rationality to determine his life went to shit if he got a ticket.
If that is true, I believe he can OD on state supervised heroin (why not, it would work, and is cost effective) or ride the lightning.

TXL
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, freedom is scary to some.  

TXL
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#34]
The guy should be put down like a dog. Like tomorrow.
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 9:31:20 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/10/2011 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 8:37:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
State questions doctor’s methods as defense rests in Bart Johnson’s trial

During earlier testimony in Johnson’s case, Golden referenced the video of the shooting. During Ladner’s cross-examination, it was revealed that Golden had not seen the tape at the time he wrote his report, though he had read the transcript.

Golden said he never talked to state investigators in performing his evaluation of Johnson, nor did he talk to any of Johnson’s coworkers. Golden said he never talked to Johnson’s primary physician, who had treated Johnson since childhood

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/2011/05/10/state-questions-doctors-methods-as-defense-rests-in-bart-johnson%e2%80%99s-trial/

Wow.

Second "expert" had never even met the "defendant" before the trial.

Wow, paid "expert" witnesses not letting facts get in the way of their "diagnosis." Here's my shocked face ––>
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 9:00:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for updating this Bama.

Put me in the "Fry em" group.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
State calls rebuttal witnesses in Johnson trial

Both doctors testified that Johnson has no mental diseases or defects.

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/2011/05/11/state-calls-rebuttal-witnesses-in-johnson-trial/

Oh... I'd disagree with that.  He most certainly is defective... he's a murderous a**hole.
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/11/2011 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 3:32:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#46]
GUILTY
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:03:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/12/2011 4:07:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top