Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2005 7:15:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:27:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#2]
There are a lot of good recipes on the above link.  If you want to try a little different twist, don't use ground beef, use venison instead.  Cut up into chunks a 1 or 2 pound piece of a ham, dredge in flour, salt and pepper and brown in oil like you were making beef stew.  Then continue on with the recipe.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:30:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:20:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Wolf Brand, in a can, poured over hotdogs with cheese sprinkled on top.  Don't mind me.  I was raised by a busy single mom... we also used to eat fried bologna.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:26:21 AM EDT
[#5]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wouldn't have the first clue on how to make it, since I've only had it once in my life.  Hubby loves it, though, and with the weather change he has started to whine about another chili-less fall/winter.  

So, I need a good chili recipe.  Nothing too terribly spicy, please.

I'll try asnd remember to give you my ma's recipe.....funny thing about it was, then when ever the guys heard she was making it, all the sudden everyone showed up to say "hi" around dinner time.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#7]
just get some carroll shelby chili kits, easiest way to do it that it still tastes like real chili
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 11:05:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Follow 1Shott's recipe.  He shared it with me a while back and not only is it really simple, its good stuff.  

Patty
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Follow 1Shott's recipe.  He shared it with me a while back and not only is it really simple, its good stuff.  

Patty

Awwww Shucks...... Glad you liked it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 12:09:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Patty

Awwww Shucks...... Glad you liked it.

Emeril of Oklahoma.

Not yet, still working on it.....
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 12:11:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I like Wendy's chili
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 12:42:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like Wendy's chili

It's finger-licking good!
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#16]
i use the chili magic stuff

i really like it--i crock it all day, usually, but you can make and eat too

ETA:  i know there are a weird brand of chili purists here who claim chili doesnt have beans--whatever floats your boat

i add extra beans to this stuff, in addition to the tomatos and gr beef
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I cheat on chili, and make it quick, easy, and fairly heavy on the meat.

1 can (~16oz) chili with beans.

1 or 2 cans (~8oz ea) tomato sauce (NOT paste), with or without salt, with or without seasoning in the can - your choice.  I use "No Salt" after a friend went on a low sodium diet - no noticable flavor difference.

2 lbs lean ground beef.

Add spices to beef (a mix of chili powder, A1 sauce, garlic and onion powder, fresh ground pepper, red pepper, cumin seeds).
Brown beef.

While beef is browning, mix canned chili with beans and tomato sauce, add spices to taste (see list above).  It's very important to spice this, otherwise it tastes like tomato sauce, not chili.  Stir regularly.  Ideally, I like a slightly different spice mix on the meat, and in the sauce.

When beef is browned, drain grease, and add the other ingredients.  Cover and let simmer, stir regularly until the heat is right to prevent burning, as usual.

Eat when you're ready to - I usually simmer anywhere between 15 and 45 minutes, depending on what else I'm doing at the time.

As always, if you're not sure what you're doing, or you're going to feed others, taste while you're cooking.

ETA: This is a good chance for the "Honey, if you want chili, _you_ cook a meal _without once_ talking to me, no questions, no interrogatives, no plaintive wails from the kitchen." schtick.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 6:47:09 PM EDT
[#18]
I love most chilis.  Gives me the wind like crazy though...  More meat and less beans.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Mmmmmmmmmm...chili
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:52:11 PM EDT
[#21]

When the weather started getting cooler, I started talking chili.  Thus the wife made some Thursday night.  Mmmm.

Get to work Friday, and it turns out there's a chili cook-off going on nearby, so me and some colleagues do that for lunch.  Mmmm. Mmmm.  

Good stuff.

Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like Wendy's chili

Am I the only one that got that?!?!

I think you are.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:25:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like Wendy's chili

I think you are.

i got it too  
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 6:27:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:23:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Lots of browned ground beef - big chunks
Couple cans whole tomato - chop tomato
Couple cans chunk tomato
Veggies - Peppers (Red, Green, Yellow, jalapeno, habenero, dried red, etc); onion; celery - big chunks
Few cans Dark Red Kidney Beans - rinsed
Spices - chili powder (lots); garlic; cumin

Add ingredients to slow cooker. Go to work. Come home - sprinkle sharp chedder and onion, grab some crackers and go wild.

Leftovers (Chilitos) - Wrap chili in several tortillas in baking pan, pour on enchilada sauce, cheese, onion and green pepper - bake until bubbling. Serve with sour cream, mex rice, chips and salsa - YUM!
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 7:29:00 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:58:48 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
My dinner I Just had....just in case anyone wasnt hungry.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/HPIM0448.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/HPIM0449.jpg

Looking good there buddy.....
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 2:23:25 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like Wendy's chili

the only problem with the joke is that it got old 48 hours after they found the finger
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't care for it myself. When I was a kid I hated it. Chili and vegetable soup. Why? Those are the 2 things my Mom would make like 55 gallons at a time. We would eat it for lunch and dinner for like a week at a time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Getcha a Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili kit.  Deviate from the instructions in the following ways:

* Use ground beef instead of chili meat.  While browning, chop it up really fine.  Don't totally brown it though; leave it a little pink.  Drain well.  I prefer lean so you don't have grease floating in the chili.
* Use Rotel tomatoes instead of tomato sauce.  Drain off some of the water.
* Use beer instead of water.  Be careful of the amount of liquid you add -- you don't want to thin it down much.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:02:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 3:14:19 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My dinner I Just had....just in case anyone wasnt hungry.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/HPIM0448.jpg

img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/Hawkeye1/HPIM0449.jpg

Looking good there buddy.....

She-who-must-be-obeyed makes a tasty pot of chili.

Tell her it looks GREAT.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#36]
i just had a thought

is it the spiciness you dont like??

cincinnati style chili is made with cinammon, which sounds weird, but tastes great, and its nowhere NEAR as spicy as "regular" chili

let me know if you want to try it and i can send you some premade spice packets or buy it here online

btw, its served over spaghetti  
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
No beans means it's not chili, to me.   I call that some form of Mexican beef stew.

But let people make up their OWN minds about that.   To me, chili without beans tastes like
it's missing something very important.    Your mileage very well MAY vary.   Doesn't mean that
either of us wrong.

Heck, original chili didn't even have tomatoes in it.  But most people don't make it like that.

CJ

I do! No beans and no tomatoes! Beans=bad.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
i just had a thought

cincinnati style chili is made with cinammon, which sounds weird, but tastes great, and its nowhere NEAR as spicy as "regular" chili

let me know if you want to try it and i can send you some premade spice packets or buy it here online

Blaaagh!!!  That's not chili!  If it says "Skyline" or "Gold Star", there's no chili here folks, move along.

When I lived in Cincinnati, I brought a huge steaming pot of chili per my above instructions to a Thanksgiving pot luck at the office and the pot was scraped dry before anything else was touched.  It's amazing what happens to Cincinnatianites when they taste actual chili.  

Actually, I enjoy Cincinnati spaghetti sauce, but I recognize it for what it really is.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 4:52:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i just had a thought

It's the spiciness plus I can't stand that cayenne pepper taste.  Yours is made with cinnamon?  What else do you put in it?

well, it is certainly not mine it was here when i got here   its Skyline Time

its hard to explain the taste, but i like it--i dont know what all is in it besides the cinnamon

its definitely not for everyone, as Blammo so eloquently showed us  

hubby doesnt like it either, but i have to have my skyline fix every so often  
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Try mine:  Texas Red Chili

It's not too spicy, but it's a nice change from the spaghetti-sauce-with-beans that most place serve.

No tomatoes.
No beans.
No ground beef.
No cinnamon.
No chocolate.

It's really good.  I made a bunch last weekend and the kids have been eating it all week.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#43]
it needs peanut butter
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#44]
There are a ton of chili recipes on here also go to yahoo and do a search for whatever kind you like(texas, hot, spicy, sweet, etc.)  Then take one of those and tweek it to your liking.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
i just had a thought

didn't you say we'd go out for chili if I made it to Cinncinnati? Ummm I like my chili spicy, the spicier the better. MrGH makes the chili here, I have no clue how he makes it as I am not allowed in the kitchen when he does it.  All I can say is it burns all the way through! But heck, I am always game for something new, I may like cinammon chili.
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 5:41:05 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i just had a thought

didn't you say we'd go out for chili if I made it to Cinncinnati? Ummm I like my chili spicy, the spicier the better. MrGH makes the chili here, I have no clue how he makes it as I am not allowed in the kitchen when he does it.  All I can say is it burns all the way through! But heck, I am always game for something new, I may like cinammon chili.

there are many other cincinnati only places to go, ma'am--no worries  
Link Posted: 10/27/2005 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Speaking of Cincinnati-only, I had 4 racks of Montgomery Inn ribs and 4 pints of Graeter's ice cream show up at my office packed in dry ice a few weeks ago.  I guess it was a good idea to tell that salesman how much I miss those things.  

And now back to our regularly-scheduled chili bashing party . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top