Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:24:50 PM EDT
I've been thinking through this for a while, and I've decided to actually make a post here to get a women's perspective.  Currently, I have a 12ga pump shotgun (18" barrel, Win. 1300 Defender) as my home defense gun, and I have had it long before I got married.  I do a bit of traveling, and my wife is home by her self which increases my desire for a home defense gun that can be operated by either of us.  

Currently, I have heavy field loads (6 shot) in the shotgun, but I have been doing a lot of reading about heavier shot and have even bought some of the Hornady TAP 12ga 00 Buckshot to experiment with.  Now, the reason that I liked the 6 shot field loads originally is that it patterns at ~8" to 10" at 7 yards, but this new TAP ammo only patterns at 3 inches.  This drastically reduces your hit probability and concerns me that she won't be able to use the gun effectively if she needs to.  The solution to the root cause is to have her practice more, but she isn't as enthused about shooting as I am and doesn't always want to go out practicing with it.

In short, here are the factors that are troubling me:
1) I want something that is an effective home defense gun
2) It needs to be something that my wife can use easily yet effectively
3) It can't batter her silly because she won't want to practice with it or use it if the time ever came

Ok, I've rambled a lot, but I think that you can get the idea of my situation.  Can anyone offer some advice?  I am not opposed at buying a different home defense gun or trying new ammo or even trying different tactics to get her to practice more!!!

Thanks,
Nick
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Obvious.....

AR-15

and I am NOT joking

ETA: Ammo Oracle

Box O' Truth

With the right ammo....an AR is the perfect defensive option. IMHO
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#3]
12 ga shotgun would be superb...some 15 pellet 00 buckshot...she's all set for a nice group to center of mass...that's what I'M talking about
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
12 ga shotgun would be superb...some 15 pellet 00 buckshot...she's all set for a nice group to center of mass...that's what I'M talking about

And to think she is pretty as well.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And to think she is pretty as well.

Why thank you
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:40:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Awwwwww....I have my AR-15 ready to go in case of intruder if that makes you feel better
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:48:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Awwwwww....I have my AR-15 ready to go in case of intruder if that makes you feel better

The AR in MY house is what makes me feel better.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Patty is most correct IMHO.  A good reliable revolver.

Everyone loves a good AR-15 but they are not what any reasonable person would consider to be a Home Defense weapon unless you are defending your home from military aggression.  Living here in the US lets us do that.

If all you want is a gun your wife can comfortably use in defense of herself and your family a nice .38 or .357 revolver fits the bill.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:36:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't there some reduced recoil 000 buck for LE?  Might fit the bill.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:03:51 AM EDT
[#12]
The smaller pattern of the TAP loads should not be a concern for you. In fact, a tight pattern is wha you want. Winging someone with the edge of the #6 pattern is not going to stop the fight. Putting a tight pattern of 00 buck in the COM will. Even with a shotgun, placement is key. So whatever you get for her, make sure it is something that she can shoot well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 2:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

PAY ATTENTION!!!

I'm not patty!!!!

Awwww, you seen one gun-toting hottie, you seen 'em all. We men are easily confused. All you gals start looking alike after awhile. (After 13 years of marriage, mostly like a juicy steak to a starving man.)

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:25:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So whatever you get for her, make sure it is something that she can shoot well.

That's exactly my point.  I have done this experiment on women in my family of different ages and builds and they ALL shoot the ARs the best.....hmmmmm

Feel free to use whatever you want, but I'd let her do a side by side test with a .357 revolver, 12ga shotgun, and a 5.56 AR.  Be sure to post the results.

Everyone loves a good AR-15 but they are not what any reasonable person would consider to be a Home Defense weapon unless you are defending your home from military aggression.

Paint me unreasonable.  Mr.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a 590A1 loaded with 00, 00, 00, slug, slug, 00, 00,00, slug

I can shoot it just fine - it's all a matter of practice time. If it's going to be the home defense gun, she should have some practice time with it on the range - period.

Other home defense guns - the pistols; they're there so you can fight your way to the shotgun if needed.
I keep a pocket pistol in my pocket, my walther P99 is upstairs in a different room than the shotgun- my husband also has his own house gun in the basement.

My walther is as reliable as any revolver (never jammed 5k rounds and counting) and it can hold a lot more ammo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I've walked around my house the inside of my house looking for intruders with a S&W 357, with 45 glock, with a 32 seacamp; but grabbing the my M4 doesn't come to mind.  We do have a some pump gun in a closet, couldn't even find it to see what exactly it is.  Personally, I prefer pistols.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:37:58 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Awwwwww....I have my AR-15 ready to go in case of intruder if that makes you feel better hr

he

Here -- Here!

Just having it handy makes me feel better each day, too!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top