Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Posted: 3/19/2008 11:39:29 PM EDT
I decided to finally read Band of Brothers the other day. I am a little over half way through it. It is pretty good so far and an easy read. How about you guys?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 12:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
A Well Regulated Militia by John Carpenter.

Need some Fiction (but seems like fact) to break up the books I just read on Gen. Stonewall Jackson and the Battle of Gettysburg.
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 8:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Confederate Engineer.
Link Posted: 7/11/2008 2:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Bandit Country
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The Tank Killers: A History of America's World War II Tank Destroyer Force, by Harry Yeide.

Once I'm finished that, the next books in queue are;

Common Sense, by Thomas Paine

The Unknown American Revolution, by Gary B. Nash

The Utility of Force: The Art of War In The Modern World, by General Rupert Smith

Clash of the Carriers:  The True Story of The Marianas Turkey Shoot of World War II, by Barrett Tillman

Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45, by Max Hastings.

And thanks to you bastards, I have a whole new list of books to buy!

Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#5]
The Assassins by Oliver North.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Farnham's Freehold by Robert Heinlein.

Fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#7]
"My Early Life" by Winston Churchill
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#8]
NightWorld by F. Paul Wilson.  It is the last of the Adversary Cycle of 6 Books.  The Keep, The Tomb, The Touch, Reborn, Reprisal, and NightWorld.  Repairman Jack is a Main Character.  Wilson has also written many stand alone Repairman Jack novels.  Great revenge stories with Good/Evil Supernatural thrown In.  Page Turners.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 8:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
"Bike for Life, how to ride to 100"

Roy Wallack
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 9:26:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Just finished a great book last night.

It was called The Rising Tide, by Jeff Shaara

It's was a great read.  It was writen as a novel by a Phd in history.

It was the first in a trilogy about WW2.  This one dealt mainly with Rommel and the was in North Africa all the way though Sicily and Italy.

It ends there, and I believe the next one will continue with Operation Overlord.

Great book, with a writing style similar to Clancy, but historically accurate.

HIghly recommend it.

TXL
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:19:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Compelled to Appear in Print  It's the Vicksburg memoirs of John C. Pemberton, the Confederate who surrendered the garrison of Vicksburg to Grant.  After the war, the Confederate Commander of the West, Joseph Johnston, penned his memoirs which placed the loss of Vicksburg solely on Pemberton.  Pemberton prepared a rebuttal but it was never published and long forgotten - until recently when the manuscript was purchased at an estate sale in Ohio.  For anyone interested in getting the Confederate perspective of Vicksburg, especially one that challenges convention, Compelled to Appear in Print is a must read book.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics (promotional test time again)
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm working through the pocket Arabic dictionary, although I have about 40 books that I'm halfway through.
Link Posted: 7/27/2008 10:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
The Civil War Diary of Captain Henry A. Chambers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 7:56:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Six Minutes to Freedom by Kurt Muse and John Gilstrap
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Ivan's War: a history of the Soviet soldier in WWII written from the perspective of the common man/woman in a meat grinder on the Eastern Front.
Link Posted: 8/1/2008 6:53:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Just finished one about the Biopreparat (the Soviet Biological weapons program) written by Ken Alibek, a former bioweapons scientist who came to the US after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Really good read, and a perfect example of how arms control laws, whether they be gun control statutes or international treaties, only serve to disarm the good guys.
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
"Gallant Lady, A Biography of the USS Archerfish"
by Ken Henry & Don Keith
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Panzer Battles by Major General F.W. von Mellethin

Good read by the former Chief of Staff, 4th Panzer Army.  Just completed the section regarding his time with Rommel in North Africa.
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 9:24:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Definately not fiction or very much history, I am currently ready (and using ) The Joy of Home Winemaking. It is mostly focused on making fruit base wines (which I really like).

Link Posted: 8/12/2008 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Without a Scratch.  It's the diary of a 5th Maine soldier in the Civil War.
Link Posted: 8/13/2008 7:30:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I just picked up Matthew Bracken's second book The Reconquista (already read Enemies Foreign and Domestic).  I've got a business trip next week and I'll be on a plane 10 hrs.  Hopefully I'll finish it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2008 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Dauntless  by Barrett Tillman......A novel about SBD's and their crews at Midway and Guadalcanal.
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 7:36:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Joseph Glatthaar's General Lee's Army.  I've already read Glatthaar's Forged in Battle and March to the Sea and Beyond.  Both were very well researched, thought out and written.  I'm only up to Chapter 4 and so far General Lee's Army has not been disappointing.  In some ways though, it reminds me of Irving Bell Wiley's Life of Johnny Reb.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#25]
"Not a Good Day to Die" by Sean Naylor I believe.  About the fuck ups and heroism surrounding Operation Anaconda.
Link Posted: 8/18/2008 11:29:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rbblrwsr] [#26]
I haven't read the entire thread so if it has been previously mentioned I apologize.

Backbone of the Wehrmacht by Richard Law.

If you want to know anything about the K98k, buy this book.  I'll probably be ordering the follow up edition for the sniper rifles.

ETA:  it took 182 tries to get a page
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#27]
"War Paint" by Bill Goshen... Vietnam LRPs
Link Posted: 8/31/2008 9:07:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Just finished Ringo's The Last Centurion and about to start Stirlings latest volume of the Dies the Fire saga.
Link Posted: 9/1/2008 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Museum Registration Methods.  It's quite interesting and can help you organize your collection and preserve it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:55:37 AM EDT
[#30]

Best. Naval History. Ever.
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Currently out from the local library:

Wrong on Race:  The Democratic Party's Buried Past by Bruce Bartlett

The Forgotten Man:  A New History of the Great Depression by Amity Shales, and

One Minute to Midnight:  Kennedy, Khrushchev, and Castro on the Brink of Nuclear War by Michael Dodds

The are all good.

Steve
Link Posted: 9/8/2008 6:16:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ayf43] [#32]
The Somme..Hell and Heroism in the Trenches. By Martin Gilbert.

For being an English Author, Martin Gilbert is not very dry and long winded compared to most English Authors
Link Posted: 9/10/2008 8:50:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Tiger Force ,pretty bad stuff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2008 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#34]

Synopsis

A real-life Suite Française, this riveting diary by a key female member of the French Resistance in WWII is translated into English for the first time.

Agnès Humbert was an art historian in Paris during the German occupation in 1940. Though she might well have weathered the oppressive regime, Humbert was stirred to action by the atrocities she witnessed. In an act of astonishing bravery, she joined forces with several colleagues to form an organized resistance—very likely the first such group to fight back against the occupation. (In fact, their newsletter, Résistance, gave the French Resistance its name.)

In the throes of their struggle for freedom, the members of Humbert’s group were betrayed to the Gestapo; Humbert herself was imprisoned. In immediate, electrifying detail, Humbert describes her time in prison, her deportation to Germany, where for more than two years she endured a string of brutal labor camps, and the horror of discovering that seven of her friends were executed by a firing squad. But through the direst of conditions, and ill health in the labor camps, Humbert retains hope for herself, for her friends, and for humanity.

Originally published in France in 1946, the book was soon forgotten and is now translated into English for the first time. Résistance is more than a firsthand account of wartime France: it is the work of a brave, witty, and forceful woman, a true believer who refused to go quietly.

Anyone read this yet? Reviews?
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 8:48:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Upton's Regulars.  It's a history of the 121st New York Volunteer Infantry during the Civil War.
Link Posted: 9/18/2008 12:49:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By MissileCop:
The Tank Killers: A History of America's World War II Tank Destroyer Force, by Harry Yeide.

Once I'm finished that, the next books in queue are;

Common Sense, by Thomas Paine

The Unknown American Revolution, by Gary B. Nash

The Utility of Force: The Art of War In The Modern World, by General Rupert Smith

Clash of the Carriers:  The True Story of The Marianas Turkey Shoot of World War II, by Barrett Tillman

Retribution: The Battle for Japan, 1944-45, by Max Hastings.

And thanks to you bastards, I have a whole new list of books to buy!

A very good read......my copy is signed by a member of my church who was there, aboard the Hornet [CV12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 7:01:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Small Arms at Gettysburg by Joe Bilby.  Haven't read much of it, but what a fun read if you're also into Civil War guns.
Link Posted: 9/26/2008 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Battle of Brooklyn.  It was the first major battle on open ground of the Revolution (the siege of Boston doesn't count nor does Lexington & Concord).  Washington was badly beaten by Howe and almost destroyed.  Luckily, he managed to extricate his army to Manhattan.  Had Howe followed up with his successful attack, he could have captured Washington and the Continental Army and possibly end the revolution right then and there.
Link Posted: 10/12/2008 9:39:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Twilight in the Desert by Matt Simmons.  It's his thesis about the Saudi oil fields and how they may have already reached peak production and are destined for a long, slow decline.  Pretty sobering.
Link Posted: 10/13/2008 7:54:31 PM EDT
[#40]
I just finished reading "First In" its about the first CIA team to be inserted into Afghanistan following 911, not a bad read. More Political than tactical though, but still pretty good.

I thought it was cool that the CIA team used Browning HPs as their side arm
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 5:08:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FLAESQ] [#41]
Just fisnished reading 32 Battalion: The Inside Story of South Africa's Elite Fighting Unit by Piet Nortje and am opening up Hemingway's Under Kilimanjaro later this week.

Edited to add; I know the Hemingway's not really history...
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:45:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Michelangelo and the Popes Ceiling
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#43]
Alamo in the Ardennes.  The stories from different soldiers experiences in the Battle of the Bulge during WWII
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#45]
I'm going on vacation, so I went by the library for some reading material.  I would not be able to afford my reading habit otherwise....

A Conservative History of the American Left, by Daniel J. Flynn

Retribution:  The Battle for Japan, 1944-45, by Max Hastings

D-Day Deception:  Operation Fortitude and the Normandy Invasion, by Mary Kathryn Barbier

War & Peace & War:  The Life Cycles of Imperial Nations, by Peter Turcbin

I'm partway through Retribution, it is pretty good so far.

Steve

Link Posted: 10/20/2008 6:17:03 PM EDT
[#46]
The Plague by Albert Camus.  Not very good.
Link Posted: 10/20/2008 10:55:04 PM EDT
[#47]
The Oregon Trail by Francis Parkman.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 4:53:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Recently finished Lone Survivor by Navy SEAL Marcus Lutrell.

Have not read the entire thread so not sure if this book was already mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 5:02:40 PM EDT
[#49]
I just finished In the Heart of the Sea by Nathaniel Philbrick about the sinking of the whale ship Essex in 1820. For those that don't know the story it inspired Moby Dick. Now I'm reading The Virtue of Selfishness by Ayn Rand.
Link Posted: 10/30/2008 1:49:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LJM] [#50]
Helmand, Afghanistan 3 Commando Brigade by Ewen Southby-Tailyour.

Picked it up in Dublin last month and just started it.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pKBQr3TLL._SS500_.jpg
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 39
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top