Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2001 9:07:22 AM EDT
I still haven't heard from the CA DOJ, nor have they cashed my check. I just called them (9:45 am, 3-14-01) and they said they are swamped with ass registrations. Mine has not been acknowledged in any way (I did not send it certified) and it's driving me nuts! I want to take my Armalite out of mothballs! The lady I spoke with told me to try back IN A MONTH!!!

Has anyone in CA taken their rifles to a range without forms? I'm curious to know if anyone is freaking out at ranges. Don't incriminate yourselves, however...use the old, "Well, I've got this friend who..."!
- Salt Creek Mike
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 5:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Im still wating on mine sent in late dec.No word no cashed check.I have taken mine to the range but was nervous traveling with it i did photocopy the receipt and carried it with me to prove that it was bought in 98.But with no paper work while waiting can be a problem even at home because you have no reg and without it yuo are not even suppose to own it all it would take is a nonunderstanding leo.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 6:12:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Negative on my paperwork.

Mailed my reg. papers in December and still waiting.

I took my reg. prebans to the range all the time without the forms, nobody ever asked me for my papers in over ten years.

However, with the political climate being what it currently is in the PRK I would advise you wait for you papers.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2001 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#3]
took mine out!  thay can  kiss  my a@@#@#@s  had a great time  !!!
Link Posted: 3/16/2001 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Registration form received by them on Dec 18th, Registration acknowledgement received back from them mid February.  Correction sent back shortly afterward and corrected reg form received back here this week.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 3:26:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I think those mother fuckers threw mine in the trash because I deliberately folded the card in half.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 4:46:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Considering that the instructions specifically said NOT to fold the card, whose fault would it be if your card was rejected because it was folded, or for that matter, if it was lost because you failed to send it certified or express mail?

By the way, the two ladies doing all the data entry are very pleasant to talk to on the phone and are in no way responsible for the passage of the law.  To call them foul names because you screwed up by the numbers is inappropriate and very rude.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:42:28 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my shooten buds sent in the paperwork in early December and nothing yet. He was told last month when he called to just wait... I have been to the range about 15 times since the first of the year and nothing said to me or gun check.
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe enforcement of the law will occur only after all the backlogged forms have been completed.  If it's tried before that, they will look like idiots in court.

With that said, I first hope everyone made a copy of the forms sent in.  If you registered, there shouldn't be a concern about using the rifle prior to receiving the registration form.  They can't enforce this law yet, due to the outstanding unprocessed forms.  Furthermore, they will not since any case should become an instant high-profile.  It's doubtful they want the first cases to be losses, since you will win the lawsuit, and would have vaid cause for a counter suit.   $0.02
Link Posted: 3/23/2001 7:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't there a provision in the BS23 that states they must respond within a certain amount of time (45 days) or else refund your money.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:49:11 AM EDT
[#10]
     I sent my paperwork to DOJ on Dec 16. I keep looking in the mailbox but nothing so far.                                                ar15robert do you live in Penasquitos
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#11]
MG34 no i dont live there i live in fullerton.also i sent mine on dec26 and my check was cashed on 3-14 it was about time still waiting on the paperwork hopefully anytime now.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 5:11:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Mailed mine on Dec. 29 or 30, not sure which.  I mailed it, got home and realized I forgot to include the flippin' check.  I had another card at home, so I filled it out again, printed myself with one of my wife's purple stamp-pads (no black available), and sent it out again.

They finally cashed my check last week.  Still no word on when any paperwork may arrive.

I hated having to do it, but my job required it :(.  Guess that's one of the drawbacks to the LEO biz.

Link Posted: 3/26/2001 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#13]
i sent my reg forms with my brothers and dads in the same express mail envelope, sent on dec 22nd, my brother and me got ours back a week and half ago but my dad didnt

interesting part is that they listed the guns that i regged back in '89 on the same paper with the guns i regged this time

hey bludragon, good to see ya here, hows the job? you should stop by the chat sometime, im usually there from 10pm till midnight -- cya
Link Posted: 3/26/2001 11:16:14 PM EDT
[#14]
LAgunman wrote:

"interesting part is that they listed the guns that i regged back in '89 on the same paper with the guns i regged this time."

At least you got your paperwork.

The reason they listed the items you regged back in '89 is because they (DOJ) simply updated your existing file to reflect the additional goodies regged by 2000 years end.

Link Posted: 3/27/2001 7:01:00 AM EDT
[#15]
The guys at the Lytle Creek range were cool when I spoke with them.  Response was that he didn't register his either.  One Forest Ranger LEO comes out in a green suburban with lights on top and walks the firing line.  Always on weekends (so far).  Recommendation was to watch the road for the green suburban and put the black one away, pull out a bolt gun until he leaves.
Link Posted: 3/27/2001 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]
I sent mine in just after Thanksgiving weekend last year. It was returned (mailed to me) on 2/2/01.

Interestingly, I was number 11,000 and change. If that number started at or near 0, then only 11,000 or so had been received and processed altogether by 2/2/01.

I did call the DOJ about a week or two before it showed up. The lady that answered said it did not show up in the computer and that until it did, they had no way to track them. I told her that it had been received as I had the reciept, but that was no help. She said to call back every week or two and ask for her.

I then promptly fired off an email to the DOJ from the DOJ website reminding them that they had a legal obligation (per their own regs) to notify EVERYONE that submitted an application of the status within 30 days of receipt.

Furthermore, I went onto remind them that they had 75 days by in which to process the application, and mine was going to expire within the next 15 days or so.

I took the opportunity to tell them that anyone with basic computer skills could setup a simple database for all incoming applications that a clerk could easily use to log them as they cam in. A simple query and form letter could also be easily devised to make sure that the DOJ stayed within the law with regards to notification deadlines. I also explained that this would allow for the applications to be worked on in date priority and that I would be happy to come up and spend TWO HOURS setting this up for them on the office PC!

I got a call within a week or so, just after my registration came back, asking if the problem had been resolved.

I would suggest email flooding the DOJ from the website and see if you can shake it loose.

I shot often before it came in at several ranges, and no one blinked an eye. It is now folded up and stashed in the case (a copy anyway).

I wonder if the failure of the DOJ to live by their own deadlines (regs have the force of law, in general) could be the basis for a lawsuit?

Ray
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 3:24:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Spoke with DOJ. They have my application on hand and have completed processing it as I write this post. They told me that I should receive my updated reg. by this week or early next week.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed til I have the papers in hand, although once entered to the data system I should be good to go.

For those in doubt a friendly inquiry call to the DOJ could possibly shed some light on your status, just remember to be polite.

Link Posted: 3/28/2001 4:07:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Dear Salt Creek,

I was at the Angeles Range on Sunday here in Los Angeles and one of their red shirts who works at the range asked me (when he saw my assault rifle)"So, have you registered?" And I said yes. And he said, "Carry the papers with you?" And I said yes. And he said "Good, because there may be a couple of guys coming up here who might be looking for the registration, And if you don't have it, you'll go to jail..."

Really nice. Makes the shooting sports just a whole bunch o' fun.

This is the first time I've had anybody ask me or talk about it directly.

WilkinsonLinda
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Well they finally cashed my check today,  I'm guessing thats' a good thing. I sent my paperwork in 2 days before the AR deadline.
Pinepig
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't quote me on this but I believe if you are caught with an unregistered AW it can be reduced to an infraction for now, the judge can then allow you to register the AW allowing the rifle to  then comply as registered. I read that on the DOJ website yesterday.

Did I read that website right?

Go read it for yourself at: [url]www.regagun.org[/url]

BTW, I received my papers today..
Link Posted: 3/28/2001 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Dear Salt Creek,

I was at the Angeles Range on Sunday here in Los Angeles and one of their red shirts who works at the range asked me (when he saw my assault rifle)"So, have you registered?" And I said yes. And he said, "Carry the papers with you?" And I said yes. And he said "Good, because there may be a couple of guys coming up here who might be looking for the registration, And if you don't have it, you'll go to jail..."

Really nice. Makes the shooting sports just a whole bunch o' fun.

This is the first time I've had anybody ask me or talk about it directly.

WilkinsonLinda
View Quote

I was there also, didn't notice anyone who was excessively curious about my guns. There was one guy there taping with a camcorder and I thought that was pretty rude.

Maybe the RO should have handled it differently, but it's nice to to know this one was warning people.
Link Posted: 3/29/2001 4:40:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Still nothing. Sent my form and check in on 12/13. The check was cashed on 1/9/01. I sent an e-mail on 2/12 and recieved a reply on 2/14 stating that they had recieved a high volume of registration forms and to please allow 8 weeks for processing of the form. It's been 11 weeks since they cashed the check, 15 weeks since this process began. If CA DOJ was a business they would be out of business.
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 1:12:23 AM EDT
[#23]
That guy taping with a camcorder is just as uncool as someone taping at a nude beach.  He would not get away with that shit in any of the bay area ranges whatsoever unless he had explicit permission from anyone the camera was near.  I was taking pictures for a website and it was made very clear that there would be no pictures of people.  

I don't know what the problem is with those people in LA, but sooner than later we are going to hear about some smartass LEO or wannabe LEO getting hosed on the range for the shit they try to pull.  

In NO PART of the code on assault weapons have I read about it being mandatory to keep the paperwork with the gun.  The guns, owners' names and serial numbers are registered with DOJ and if they have the energy to book you in jail, they have the energy to run the numbers on the gun over the radio.  Same reason they would not impound your car because they want to run the license plate through DMV.  

At best it is harassment and at worst, false arrest.  Oh, and taking the gun with no just cause is robbery under color of authority and I know the apropriate response to that one homie.  Officer unfriendly gets a paid vacation to club fed or a trip to the morgue.  

Out of respect for rangemasters, I would produce paperwork as I usually do keep it with the guns, but if someone does not clearly identify themselves as an LEO and is willing to leave some form of identification for follow up (business card or the information from a card) then I consider the "stop" illegitimate.  Don't forget that a lot of these cops, especially the hispanics and blacks, have lots of criminal connections and use them to scope out people to get robbed.  No, I am not making it up, the feds have been jailing LA cops like crazy for that very thing.  

Vallejo PD got caught red handed and flat footed on this back in the 1980s by a guy I met.  They had this MCgruff crime dog thing going on where you register all of the valuables in your house on a special file and then inform them of any times you are usually home and might be going on vacation.  The idea being that the cops would then know to keep an extra eye on your house when you are not home.  Well, that is exactly what they did.  A few of them were selling copies of the files to local criminals in return for a piece of the take, and they had a taste for gun collections.  

Those fucks thought it was cute to also broadcast over the radio information about who had registered assault weapons in their homes and at one point "leaked" the info to the local paper and of course, my house was robbed of registered guns.  It was amazing how the thieves stopped looking when they stopped finding registered guns.  The way I heard it, DOJ revamped their entire protocol for who gets gun registration information after that theft and a couple of others, all in Solano County.

One aspect of the AW law I just became aware of is the transport requirements are the same as for a handgun.  That means locked cases with the ammo not in the same case as the gun.  That is even if the gun is locked in the trunk of your car.  I have not seen anyone cited for it, and I have never been busted or even approached about it since I was using soft cases for years, but the law is apparently on the books.

I also sent my paperwork in for the new batch of guns and have not heard from DOJ, but I kept copies of everything so I figure that is decent enough if it becomes an issue.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 1:29:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Hey CA people,

I got my "papers" last week and they were dated 22 Mar 2001.  I sen my form and $$ in on 08 Dec 2000.  Have had my Ar15's and others to the range several times before I got my "papers" no problems at all from anyone.  I was surprised to see that my Heckler & Koch rifles from the Roos-Roberti ban were also on my new "papers"

I'm here in the San Diego area if anyone is intersted in a shoot/meet.  I ususally shoot at South Bay Rod & Gun.  

Take care all,

Steve
Link Posted: 3/31/2001 6:51:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Something is "hella weird".  I studied the regagun website and then the link below that details the specific laws.

http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/dwcl/dwc.htm

It sounds like the DOJ will not accept registrations UNLESS you get busted first!  According to my NON JD, unlicenced, legal interpretation, you now have 2 choices for your CA AWs. (only feature AW's, not rr99 or series weapons)

1. Turn your AW into a LEO station.
2. Get a LEO to arrest you for possession of an unregistered AW, register the weapon, judge reduces the violation to an infraction (like a traffic ticket??), judge gives back weapon as long as its not declared a public safety issue (yeah, right).

The way I read it, YOU MUST GET ARRESTED if you want to legally register your feature AWs from now until Dec 31, 2001.  I think the legal definition of the period is one year from the close of the perticular AW registration period.

Quoted:
Don't quote me on this but I believe if you are caught with an unregistered AW it can be reduced to an infraction for now, the judge can then allow you to register the AW allowing the rifle to  then comply as registered. I read that on the DOJ website yesterday.

Did I read that website right?

Go read it for yourself at: [url]www.regagun.org[/url]

BTW, I received my papers today..
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top