Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2008 6:35:56 AM EDT
...take your upper receiver off of your AR and destroy it.

I am posting this separate from the cluttered thread in this forum so that people will actually see it.

Odds are you have a full auto upper receiver with a sear relief milled into the rear portion just in front of the rear take down lug.

If you are one of the idiots that still believes it is illegal to possess a full auto carrier in your rifle, then go smash your upper...and good luck finding one that is not a full auto upper.

Here is some new info just passed to us by the instructor of the Colt armorer's re-cert course I just graduated. The instructor has been with Colt for over 30 years, is the chief production armorer for Colt, and knows what the F&%K he is talking about.

In 2005 the ATF issued Colt approval to use full auto bolt carriers in any gun that will accept one (excludes the versions with the receiver block simply because it will not physically accept one).

The ATF gave Colt permission to cease production of the semi auto bolt carrier and use full auto carriers in all of their new production models. Of course...exhausting current stocks of semi-auto carriers first.

Anyone who doubts the legality and authorization of use of the full auto carrier can simply call Colt and they will explain the reasons.

The reasons were explained to our class as follows:

Problems have been linked for years to the lessened weight of the semi auto bolt carrier and the shape of the rear most portion of all 4 types of semi-auto carriers that have been designed over the years. Tests even proved that although one might not realize it, the rear of the bolt carrier in the half-circle design, actually flexes and vibrates during firing. This, along with the carriers weighing less than was intended in original design has been found to be responsible for a lot of malfuctions and excessive parts wear due to the bolt carrier actually sliding and grinding against the upper receiver and receiver extension when the flexing and vibration occurs.

So...straight from the horse's mouth. The FACTORY was given permission BY the ATF to include full auto bolt carriers in semi-auto weapons in 2005.

Now, I know there are a TON of people who think that they know everything and are self appointed attorneys. But there IS something to be said when THE biggest producer of M4s...a company who has produced more AWB wary features on their weapons than anyone else....starts to put full auto components in their semi-auto models.

They DAMN SURE would not have done that without permission and blessing from the ATF. And they have had such approval since 2005.

There may be numerous threads about this topic....but none of the threads have had this info. They have all been a slough of individual people's opinions.

And if you think that you'd actually get arrested, much less convicted for having a full auto BCG in your rifle...you could simply subpoena the approval given by the ATF to Colt allowing them to use the full auto BCGs in production.

Case closed. So stop living in fear.

Think about it...do you think a paranoid company like Colt would switch to using full auto carriers if it wasn't legit? I think we all have more sense than that.

Colt was able to articulate and prove that the bolt carrier was not "designed and intended solely and excusively" for full auto use. The same carrier was shipped in original AR-15 semi-autos (which shipped with semi-auto only fire control parts).

They proved that the AUTO SEAR was designed exclusively to work OFF of the bolt carrier....and NOT the carrier to work off of the sear...

The bolt carrier was designed in that original form. Stoner realized he needed a component to retard the hammer on its return cycle toward the firing pin to keep it from firing out of battery. So he designed the auto sear AROUND the already existing lower foot of the bolt carrier.....and bingo....there you have it.

The ATF agreed and blessed off on the use of the "original design" bolt carrier.

NOTE THE TERM "original design" bolt carrier....not referred to as "full auto" bolt carrier.

Don't ya just love legaleese?

I have an "original design carrier" in my 6920 and will be putting one in my SPR as soon as I can get one.

For those of you who CONTINUE to believe that possessing a "full auto" bolt carrier in your uppper is illegal, you need to take your upper receivers off and destroy them immediately!!!

Every single one of you, with 90% certainty(10% for those who actually might have an OLD upper reciever that was made without it) possesses an upper receiver with a sear relief. That sear relief is designed and machined into the receiver "designed and intended solely and excusively" (as the law states) to facilitate the functioning of fully automatic fire.

Yet...hmm....strange....it's legal to own. (....or is it?)

Getting the point yet guys? If it ain't fire control parts (and the carrier isn't a fire control part) then it's legal.

The ATF long ago approved the industry use of the exact same upper receiver for semi auto sales as was and is being used for full auto weapons. The same thing has happened with the bolt carriers. Colt quit making separate semi auto only upper receivers and was able to simplify production...just as they are now doing with carriers. But now, the full auto upper receiver is accepted as the industry standard. The bolt carrier issue is just so new that people are still skeptical.

Here is an example. If you have the one on the right, you possess a full auto upper receiver...uh oh!!!!
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Stuff.  I suspect most folks who visit this site have no idea which carrier they currently have in their rifle and we are more informed than most.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:29:41 AM EDT
[#2]
You're going to go to prison.    

(Sorry, couldn't resist)
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You're going to go to prison.    

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

And you're an idiot.

(Sorry, coultn't resist)

BTW rain252...have you smashed your full auto upper receiver and small flange M16 firing pin from your SEMI auto carrier yet? Better hurry or you might go to prison! Or are you even aware of the fact that you possess them?
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually, my posts in the subject area both here and in the other thread was pretty obviosuly humor.  I totally agree with everything you've said about the subject, so just let your panties un-bunch themselves a little.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:47:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Actually, my posts in the subject area both here and in the other thread was pretty obviosuly humor.  I totally agree with everything you've said about the subject, so just let your panties un-bunch themselves a little.

Hehe. No problem man. Thrown in a "j/k"
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 8:51:38 AM EDT
[#6]
No problemo.  I should have put in a .

You brought some good info to the discussion that ought to make anybody a believer that a "original design" carrier is just fine in AR's.   I had already read the tacked threads on the subject before and was in the camp that agreed it's ok, but this info you brought about Colt ought to make it a done deal for the doubters.  Good job.
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/22/2008 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No problemo.  I should have put in a .

You brought some good info to the discussion that ought to make anybody a believer that a "original design" carrier is just fine in AR's.   I had already read the tacked threads on the subject before and was in the camp that agreed it's ok, but this info you brought about Colt ought to make it a done deal for the doubters.  Good job.

Good info.  I use one. Lightning hasn't struck me and my dog is still alive.

Chances are the folks with "chicken little syndrome" will still agonize over which carrier to use.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 10:19:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Colt sent me evil original designed carriers with the Colt ARs I bought.

I didn't realize they were so anti-gun they would put the purchasers of their products at risk for a raid from the ATF!  Heck, since it was their LE line they must hate cops too; or think they are better than just mere "civilians"!

OK, back to reality.  I have no problem with the Full auto carrier and found most of the debate here funny.

Link Posted: 11/22/2008 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Hee Hee Hee.... Technically, the "original" upper receivers for the AR15 also had the auto sear relief cut into them. Maybe your pic should also note that as well... Naw - forget it - it'd only serve to further confuse the already lost "sheeple".

Good post BTW...
FlDiveCop71

Link Posted: 11/23/2008 8:55:24 AM EDT
[#11]
So is it legal to have a full auto bolt in a semi automatic gun?

Just kidding..Thanks for the Info.
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/23/2008 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Dupe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top