Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2001 5:13:44 PM EDT
Theres a question on the DROS form that asks if the potential gun buyer has ever been convicted of a crime that COULD have a prison sentence of one year or more.

I have a friend, lets call him Mr.X, that has purchased several rifles and one handgun here in Kali, over the last 3 years. Now, I happen to know that Mr.X got a DUI back in the mid 80s. He also had a couple of failure to appears. I thought these crimes had sentences of potentially over one year.
Now, I happen to know that Mr. X only spent 2-3 days in jail for each of these incidents. Even though, the judge COULD have sentenced him to a much longer term. I was just wondering if anyone had any information on that particular question on the DROS, and how strict they are about it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#1]
The law is written to state that a person must have been sentanced and served one year in custody(366 Days plus)to be ineligable to posses firearms. In your friends case, the only thing I can see is if he was given probation on the DUI or FTA, the judge could have resticted the possesion of firearms as a condition of probation for the duration of said probation. This, however doesn't seem to be the case.

So, to answer your inquiry, it doesn't appear he broke any laws. Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 10/30/2001 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#2]
DUI are usually Misd. crimes with a sentence of less than a year.  I can't talk about other state laws but in Missouri.. the 1st and 2nd DWI is a Misd. while the 3rd is a Felony.

medcop
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top