Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2001 12:09:05 PM EDT
I posted once before, regarding the minimum Handgun age in Alabama. I received a single response stating it was 21. I have since seen numerous sites which suggest 21 is the federal minimum age to buy from a dealer. I looked under the NRA-ILA and they listed the minimum age to purchase as being 18. Federal law prohibits FFLs from selling to anyone under 21, but state law mandates what gun shows can sell (at least for now.) Can a 19 y/o, such as myself purchase a handgun at a gunshow or from an individual if I were to move to Alabama. My other question is in regards to a Concealed Carry Permit. Could I obtain one at 19 or would I have to be 21. I am/was planning to move to Pensacola, FL which is only 11 miles from Alabama. I figured that if Alabama would allow me to own a handgun I would move there instead. After I received that response I decided to make it Pensacola. Fortunately I haven't purchased a place yet so it is still open. Please respond soon as I will have to find a place soon.

Thanks,

Chris Carr
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 2:21:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't live in Alabama, but the last time I was there I don't think they had any gun laws. Or maybe it was just that no one paid any attention to them. In any case, it is Friday and they are all drunk by now.
Link Posted: 7/6/2001 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
You will have to be at least 21 to get a "pistol permit" (CCW) in Alabama. In some places it is 23 (Mobile Co.). Almost no one recognizes an AL ccw (Fla's is widely accepted, however), and AL recognizes none. You needn't take any safety classes etc to get the permit.

You also may not keep a loaded handgun in a vehicle in AL without a permit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2001 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#3]
I think with parental consent you can get a CCW permit at 19. Typically you have to prove need to get it before 21 (such as you work late and travel alone at night). I know a 19 year old that got one. At 21 it's shall issue. As of Aug 1 Alabama's reciprocal carry law goes into effect! Whoever you get to issue a permit it will be recognized in many other states!
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Would you happen to know which states those would be ?
Link Posted: 7/8/2001 3:02:19 PM EDT
[#5]
All the Southeastern states as well as many others will recognize Alabama pistol permits. Alabama AG Bill Pryor is to release a list of reciprocal states on or before Aug 1.
Link Posted: 7/12/2001 2:43:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi , Ipschoser is dead on w/ correct info. Our AG , Bill Pryor has done a outstanding Pro-Gun job for us in Alabama so far. It is legal to get a CCW at 19 in Bama , but MOST Sheriffs do not issue until age 21. Of course you could make a "nice" donation to his re=election fund and that never hurts.
Link Posted: 7/31/2001 7:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the Southeastern states as well as many others will recognize Alabama pistol permits. Alabama AG Bill Pryor is to release a list of reciprocal states on or before Aug 1.
View Quote
NOPE, not all SE states.  As of Aug 1 these are the states that Alabama has reciprocity with: FL, ID, IN, KY, MI, MS, ND.  See this webpage
[url]http://www.ago.state.al.us/ag_items.cfm?Issue=64[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top