Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2004 5:22:54 AM EDT
Assuming that the AWB does not get renewed, the law will sunset at midnight on Sept 13.

Since I am not a lawyer, is this measured as midnight at Washington DC since it is a federal law or is it midnight for each time zone?  Example, would it be legal/OK/kosher to put the 'evil' goodies on an post-ban(¿ban period?) AR15 at 2300 hours here in Dallas since we're at Central Daylight Savings Time since it is already midnight at Washington D.C.?

Impatient and wants to goto bed early that night,

wganz

Link Posted: 6/12/2004 5:45:56 AM EDT
[#1]
oh geez...........

Link Posted: 6/14/2004 10:13:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Since you want to be very technically correct on this, let me give you a bit more information to keep in mind:  Midnight is the first minute of the day, not the last.  Eg. midnight Sunday is the first minute of Sunday, not the last as commonly mistaken by most.
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 3:22:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Assuming that the AWB does not get renewed, the law will sunset at midnight on Sept 13.

Since I am not a lawyer, is this measured as midnight at Washington DC since it is a federal law or is it midnight for each time zone?  Example, would it be legal/OK/kosher to put the 'evil' goodies on an post-ban(¿ban period?) AR15 at 2300 hours here in Dallas since we're at Central Daylight Savings Time since it is already midnight at Washington D.C.?

Impatient and wants to goto bed early that night,

wganz

I actually have no idea, but I would "guess" that the time zone in which the act is committed is the one that governs. Of course, this raises additional questions - if I am in the eastern time zone at 12:01am 9/14/04 and "manufacture" what used to be an assault weapon, and then I immediately step over into the central time zone, am I committing a crime? What about areas that don't observe daylight savings? What if part of the "offense" is committed in one time zone and part of it in another (i.e., I possess all the necessary parts, in close proximity, in eastern time zone, but put it together in central)?

My brain hurts...
Link Posted: 6/15/2004 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#4]
IIRC is sunsets on Sept 13th 2004 not on the Sept 14th 2004.   (so 12:00am 9/13/2004 you're good to go) not 12:00am 9/14/2004.
Link Posted: 6/29/2004 11:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
The terms 'midnight' and 'noon' are specific in and of themselves. In other words, '12:00 Midnight' is a redundancy. It is incorrect to ID 'midnight' or 'noon' as AM or PM.

Correctly ID'd:

11:59:59 PM or 11:59:59 AM; i.e., one second before Midnight or one second before Noon.

12:00:01 AM or 12:00:01 PM; i.e., one second after Midnight or one second after Noon.

Sept. 13th is, of course, exactly ten years from the start of the phony AWB, just as your legal birthday is the day before the one you celebrate.

On your birthday, you are X years plus one day old.
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
just as your legal birthday is the day before the one you celebrate.

HUH?  
Link Posted: 7/1/2004 6:12:29 PM EDT
[#7]
00:01hrs (1201am for the rookies) Sep 13th, 2004 and your good to go.  Say your birthday is Feb 20th, you don't wait until 12:01am Feb 21st to celebrate do you?
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Whats the difference? Do you know of any gun ranges that are open at that time of night anyway?
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Careful.  Now there going to have federal agents busting down your door at 11:59:59 just to make sure.
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 10:49:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Whats the difference? Do you know of any gun ranges that are open at that time of night anyway?

I sleep better know my rifle is pure evil , I get happiness in pissing off the liberal ANTIs!
Link Posted: 7/6/2004 11:38:22 AM EDT
[#12]
When you celebrate your "birthday" you are actually celebrating the anniversary of your birthday. You only have one "birthday" - the day you were born.

AFAIK the AWB will sunset on 09-13-2004 at 0000 hours in your local time zone.

Link Posted: 7/7/2004 11:22:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry to be a grouch but, WHO GIVES A FUCK
Link Posted: 7/8/2004 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 for me too.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The terms 'midnight' and 'noon' are specific in and of themselves. In other words, '12:00 Midnight' is a redundancy. It is incorrect to ID 'midnight' or 'noon' as AM or PM.

Correctly ID'd:

11:59:59 PM or 11:59:59 AM; i.e., one second before Midnight or one second before Noon.

12:00:01 AM or 12:00:01 PM; i.e., one second after Midnight or one second after Noon.

Sept. 13th is, of course, exactly ten years from the start of the phony AWB, just as your legal birthday is the day before the one you celebrate.

What time is 12:00 M?

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 1:41:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Jeebus Cripes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 7:48:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Jeebus Cripes.

No shit!

FEDERAL law works off of EAST COAST TIME (D.C. time) not Local.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jeebus Cripes.

No shit!

FEDERAL law works off of EAST COAST TIME (D.C. time) not Local.

I don't think that is necessarily the case.  For example, federal statutes of limitations IIRC are based on local time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Think of it this way........When the law sunsets they aren't going to pass a law or an executive order at 10:30, nor will the Fed's bust your door down to check your guns, so assume your are safe to configure your "AW" the evening before!
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I don't think that is necessarily the case.  For example, federal statutes of limitations IIRC are based on local time.

Thats because the clock starts ticking when the crime is committed............in the local timezone.

Seriously guys, this isn't even a question.  The Law took effect at midnight DC time and it will sunset at midnight DC time.  
Sheesh, 9PM Pacific time IS 12PM Eastern time.  It's not 3 hours earlier.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#21]
... Think of it this way. The ban was for (10) years.

... On the first minute into Sept. 13 1994 the law became effective.

... Exactly (10) years later, first minute into Sept. 13 2004, it's gone.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats because the clock starts ticking when the crime is committed............in the local timezone.

This is not true.  The statute of limitations does not begin ticking at a specific local time.  It starts ticking on a specific date.  For instance, if you committed battery at 9:00 a.m. on June 1, 1990 and there is a ten-year statute of limitations, the case can be filed at any time on June 1, 2000, not just before 9:00 a.m.  That is just how time is calculated under the rules of criminal and civil procedure (Rules 45 and 6 respectively).

It is not unheard of IIRC for an action (usually civil) to be filed on the west coast or even Hawaii to beat the statute of limitations (obviously venue and jurisdiction have to be proper, but that is not necessarily where the action complained about took place).

It was stated that "FEDERAL law works off of EAST COAST TIME (D.C. time) not Local."  If you have to file something in federal court in LV within 3 days of June 1, that does not mean you only have until 9pm on June 4 (midnight EST).  You have until midnight LV time.  This is of course just argument by analogy, like the statute of limiitations example above, but federal courts do use local time.

Seriously guys, this isn't even a question.  The Law took effect at midnight DC time and it will sunset at midnight DC time.  

Can you point to a statute or case regarding this issue?

Take a look at the specific wording of the statute:

SEC. 09. EFFECTIVE DATE.
This title and the amendments made by this title--
(1) shall take effect on the date of enactment of this Act; and
(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that date.

There is no reference to EST.  It does not talk about the statute taking effect or being repealed at a specific time.  It talks about dates.  The key issue is not what time it is, but what day it is.  I would not feel too comfortable if I had just assembled my new preban on 12:30 a.m. EST in NV and the ATF broke down my door.  I might complan that the statute had expired in DC at midnight, but the friendly ATF agent might ask me to look at my watch and tell him what day it is.  It would still be September 12.

Without some kind of statute or case law to the contrary, it seems like bad advice to stick with EST.  I don't claim to be an expert on criminal law, but if there is some statutory or case law on the subject please cite it.

It would probably also not be wise to brag about building a preban before 9/13, even after the law has expired.  See 1 USC 109.  Maybe I am just risk averse, but I would wait to build until midnight my time and I would definately not be posting a pic of my new build on ARFCOM before that time.
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 7:08:10 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Think of it this way........When the law sunsets they aren't going to pass a law or an executive order at 10:30, nor will the Fed's bust your door down to check your guns, so assume your are safe to configure your "AW" the evening before!

No no no no.

You all are wrong.

This all hinges on when patrickcudd posts a fullsize version of his sig-pic.

Link Posted: 7/9/2004 7:28:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Nah.....Don't worry......she's a GFAF..FFAG girl!
That's      Good From A Far.. Far From A Good        girl!

Link Posted: 7/9/2004 7:54:34 PM EDT
[#25]
You mean this gal?
Link Posted: 7/9/2004 8:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
You mean this gal?
plain_edge.home.mchsi.com/blondebrains.jpg

He found her!  By the "port some shits" and all!

Link Posted: 7/9/2004 8:22:41 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is not true.  The statute of limitations does not begin ticking at a specific local time.  It starts ticking on a specific date.  For instance, if you committed battery at 9:00 a.m. on June 1, 1990 and there is a ten-year statute of limitations, the case can be filed at any time on June 1, 2000, not just before 9:00 a.m.  That is just how time is calculated under the rules of criminal and civil procedure (Rules 45 and 6 respectively).

It is not unheard of IIRC for an action (usually civil) to be filed on the west coast or even Hawaii to beat the statute of limitations (obviously venue and jurisdiction have to be proper, but that is not necessarily where the action complained about took place).

It was stated that "FEDERAL law works off of EAST COAST TIME (D.C. time) not Local."  If you have to file something in federal court in LV within 3 days of June 1, that does not mean you only have until 9pm on June 4 (midnight EST).  You have until midnight LV time.  This is of course just argument by analogy, like the statute of limiitations example above, but federal courts do use local time.

Can you point to a statute or case regarding this issue?

Take a look at the specific wording of the statute:

SEC. 09. EFFECTIVE DATE.
This title and the amendments made by this title--
(1) shall take effect on the date of enactment of this Act; and
(2) are repealed effective as of the date that is 10 years after that date.

There is no reference to EST.  It does not talk about the statute taking effect or being repealed at a specific time.  It talks about dates.  The key issue is not what time it is, but what day it is.  I would not feel too comfortable if I had just assembled my new preban on 12:30 a.m. EST in NV and the ATF broke down my door.  I might complan that the statute had expired in DC at midnight, but the friendly ATF agent might ask me to look at my watch and tell him what day it is.  It would still be September 12.

Without some kind of statute or case law to the contrary, it seems like bad advice to stick with EST.  I don't claim to be an expert on criminal law, but if there is some statutory or case law on the subject please cite it.

It would probably also not be wise to brag about building a preban before 9/13, even after the law has expired.  See 1 USC 109.  Maybe I am just risk averse, but I would wait to build until midnight my time and I would definately not be posting a pic of my new build on ARFCOM before that time.

Are you fucking serious????

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, My head hurts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Top