Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2004 8:27:18 PM EDT
Hey everyone.  I'm planning on building an M4gery based on a Fab10.  Since it's a Fab10, I can have all the preban goodies like telescoping stocks and flash hiders.  I want to buy a 14.5" barrel with a Phantom flash hider permenantly attached.  My question is, is it legal for me to purchase a 14.5" barreled upper and have it shipped to me BEFORE the flash hider is permenantly attached?  I'd like to take it to a local gunsmith or ship it to a gunsmith myself to have the work done.  Obviously I don't want to take this route if it's going to get me in trouble.  Any thoughts or opinions?
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 6:22:54 AM EDT
[#1]
It is ok to possess a short bbl, you just can't mount it on a receiver.  Now if you had the two together, but not assembled, in one place it could be considered "constructive possession".
Link Posted: 4/2/2004 1:02:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply pazzo.  I guess I'll have to have the barreled upper shipped directly to a gunsmith.  Fortunately there are several who support this site that I can choose from.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is ok to possess a short bbl, you just can't mount it on a receiver.  Now if you had the two together, but not assembled, in one place it could be considered "constructive possession".
View Quote

"Constructive Possession" is only for machine guns.  There has been a ruling because of Thompson Center Contender a few years back because of the fact that you can have a carbine and a handgun on the same receiver.  So, as long as they are not assembled, you're golden!
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 2:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, Pazzo is right in that "constructive possession" under the NFA is not only for machine guns. (at least in the 11th Circuit)
The standard is broader for machine gun parts than SBR parts, but see US v. Kent, 175 F.3d 870(1999)
(which is post-US v. T/C (1992) and distinguishes it).

Kent had a complete short barreled upper, unattached, in his apartment, and was still convicted of violating the NFA as possessing an unregistered SBR.

See [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=235830[/url]
and [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=6&t=237729 [/url], both this board.

Cheers, Otto
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, and let's not forget that I'm talking about the PRK here, so who knows what kind of retarded laws I might have to deal with.  Thanks for all the replies everyone.  I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2004 11:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
If you are at all worried and think shipping directly to a gunsmith is a viable option then do that.
Link Posted: 4/9/2004 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, that's what I was planning on doing.  I figured I'd give Adco or Kurt's some business, unless I can find a good 'smith locally.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top