Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2001 4:12:24 PM EDT
this is hypothetical. My "friend" was in a bar and some guy started talking shit to him. After enough of his crap, i, i mean my friend, lit him up. Assuming this dork presses charges, can my friend lose his right to own, purchase or carry? this is in PA if this matters.
-jay  
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#1]
by the way, my friend has no previous record of any kind
-jay
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 8:30:50 PM EDT
[#2]
What's your friend been charged with? If your friend threw the first punch it's worse for him but hypothetically he could lose the rights you mentioned but then I'm not a lawyer.
Link Posted: 5/9/2001 9:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
depends was there injury?? if then yeah hes kinda screwed if it gets to court or if he doesnt plead out "IF" it gets to that point

Rule to rember dont punch some body no matter how much the deserve it its just not worth it
unless of course its in self defense and u cant get away
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't comment on PA law, but here in CA an simple misdemenor assault conviction can result in a loss of firearms rights for 10 years.

But the point is, while I'm sure this cretin completely deserved to get punched-out, as a gun owner/CCW holder you have to hold yourself to a much higher standard.  That means taking verbal abuse and leaving the area instead of reacting, going to bars or resturants with your buddies and not drinking, etc.

My advice - if the clown does decide to press charges, get a lawyer and fight it.  In CA it was common for bar brawlers to cop a plea and pay a small fine and be done with it.  Then the law changed and all these people became prohibited from owning firearms retroactively but didn't know it.  There are cases of these guys getting caught with guns they legally purchased years ago getting charged with a felony.

Next time leave, don't swing.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If there are injuries, it's assault 3rd in NY State, a Class A Misd. Our local judges are now rescinding pistol permits for Class A Misd. convictions, so at least around here, he'd lose his right to possess or carry if convicted of Assault 3rd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top