Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2017 3:33:31 PM EDT
look like someone stole my number through PayPal that I haven't used in a couple of Years.

Guess someone bought a Rolex from a jewelry store in CA and used my CC.

Chase Visa said they would look into it and I wouldn't be charged for it as I had fraud protection.

Now, they say they have proof that I really did get it and I owe them. What proof, I have no idea. They keep claiming they try to call me and I'm never home.

But with my heart problems, I haven't worked in years. I'm home almost all the time.

And have a recording machine on my phone.

Somehow, they didn't catch this purchase when I've had them repeatedly denied me any charge over a 1K over the years.

They are suppose to call me tomorrow, but with them who knows?

What should I do now to fight this
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Call CA police and file a report?
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
look like someone stole my number.

Guess someone bought a Rolex from a jewelry store in CA and used my CC.

Chase Visa said they would look into it and I wouldn't be charged for it as I had fraud protection.

Now, they say they have proof that I really did get it and I owe them. What proof, I have no idea. They keep claiming they try to call me and I'm never home.

But with my heart problems, I haven't worked in years. I'm home almost all the time.

And have a recording machine on my phone.

Somehow, they didn't catch this purchase when I've had them repeatedly denied me any charge over a 1K over the years.

They are suppose to call me tomorrow, but with them who knows?

What should I do now to fight this?
View Quote
Strange...  sounds almost like an inside job......  you ARE calling the number on the back of your card correct?    If you received snail mail or email to call, you should verify the number is actually chase.....  
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:05:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, it is.

The CA jewelry store phone number goes to a private home where someone is only taking messages.

And Chase thinks this "Jewerly4less" is legit???
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:17:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Tell them you expect the matter to be taken seriously and handled professionally or you will be contacting the Federal Trade Commission.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0219-disputing-credit-card-charges
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Did some more digging.

I googled the phone # 1-402-936-7733 and it is in eastern Nebraska, not CA and I found this too:

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-402-936-7733

Seems this phone # is connected to a number of CC frauds since 2010.

And it's listed as a Non Fixed Voip phone number.

But no, I did all this to get a Rolex and not a case of Barretts 50 cals!
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 4:38:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Someone used PayPal to steal from my brothers account, he noticed the little .50 cent charge they do to link your account and called the bank. Luckily he caught it in time he had to close all his accounts still though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Someone used PayPal to steal from my brothers account, he noticed the little .50 cent charge they do to link your account and called the bank. Luckily he caught it in time he had to close all his accounts still though.
View Quote
The tiny charge tells them the numbers they have work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:31:07 PM EDT
[#8]
American Express is more expensive and hated by many, but they take care of shit like this.  I've had them call me 3-4 different times and ask if I made a purchase for X amount at wherever that I did not make and they said they were cancelling the card and had a new card to me the next day.

Good luck, OP.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Made a paypal payment about a year ago and had my credit card getting charged for like 2250 bucks within 24 hours.    Made a call to the credit card instantly and got them to shut it down.

Then went round and round with paypal telling them that the order/payment was not placed by me.

Had things caught pretty quickly.

Dont just have open lines of credit tied to things is the lesson here.   Especially paypal.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:03:15 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Don't wait for them to call you.  Call them - using the number from the back of your card.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
fuck paypal.

call chase and keep asking for a manager - i had to resolve something with the annual fee on one of my cards and i had to go through 4 retarded associates before i got someone who understood but was powerless, and then sent me to a manager for resolution.

after i burn all my points and use my free hyatt stays, i am considering jumping to amex for everything
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:06:00 PM EDT
[#12]
The card that was charged had never been used on Paypal.

PayPal said that the email account was a Yahoo one, which I never had.

They thinks it's a fake account.

Found the Jewerly4less is listed with Dun & Bradstreet as a Grocery store that is located in an apartment building in San Jose, CA with 1 employee of an Arab name that makes $100,000 a year.

Yeah, I can see how Chase thinks this is legit.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 6:08:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't wait for them to call you.  Call them - using the number from the back of your card.
View Quote
I have.

Several times.

They keep saying someone from their fraud dept has to handle it and they're never available when I call.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:16:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Op. Contact your local PD non-emergency number. Ask them if they will take a report for an on line credit card fraud. Some will take an actual report and some may just generate a report or complaint number for you. Some may do nothing. You should get a copy of it as soon as it is reviewed and filed. As already pointed out, you need to contact your CC and PP fraud department and report what you know so far. That should get them off your back and get you a new CC issued.

Then get AmEx. Their fraud protection is stunning. A few years ago, my AmEx number was captured somehow. It was used somewhere in Europe to buy airline tickets between two sketchy countries. I was cutting my lawn at the time.

When I came inside, my phone was lit up with missed calls, texts, voicemail and AmEx app fraud alerts. They also emailed me at home and work and called my office! I logged on to my computer and as soon as I signed in, big red letters popped up advising to call them! They said since it was out of the ordinary for my card activity, they flagged the purchase and shut it down. I had a replacement card overnighted to me. They changed as many of the repeat charges I had linked to the card as they were able to. I still had a few I had to do myself, but it was incredibly smooth for me.

You also may want to consider a year of fraud protection too. Had to do that in the past as well.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Having had my identity stolen twice and my wife's debit card info compromised last weekend, I know it's pain in the ass.  

Get the police report made in the CA town and/or in your home town.  Have those numbers handy.  If you get the line about someone not being available, tell them you'll hold until they are available.  As soon as you hit any kind of resistance, ask for their supervisor.  Rinse and repeat as necessary.  As said, do not wait for them to call you.  This is your money and your credit.  They have no real incentive to help you out other than the fact that you're a customer...one among millions.  

Offer to send an affidavit, be able to prove you weren't where the charges were made.  Shut them down any time they come up with some BS way to stick you with the charge.  Then get rid of that company.  And be sure to tell them exactly why you are taking your business elsewhere.  Follow up with a letter to a high-level exec or manager.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I get 2-3 cards compromised a year. The last two were used by PayPal.

First, I only work with my bank, I do not call or talk to anyone else.

Second, I dump any card that does not work quickly in my favor.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Then get AmEx. Their fraud protection is stunning. A few years ago, my AmEx number was captured somehow. It was used somewhere in Europe to buy airline tickets between two sketchy countries. I was cutting my lawn at the time.
View Quote
That is stunningly poor protection.

My Visa will not even work outside USA without prior approval.  In fact my newest version, which I just got, I can turn the card on/off from an app. So I keep it off all the time except when I make purchases. So this should really cut down on bogus charges.

Sorry you had to so much trouble and get a new card and all. You may want to look into a newer issuer with better fraud protection.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That is stunningly poor protection.

My Visa will not even work outside USA without prior approval.  In fact my newest version, which I just got, I can turn the card on/off from an app. So I keep it off all the time except when I make purchases. So this should really cut down on bogus charges.

Sorry you had to so much trouble and get a new card and all. You may want to look into a newer issuer with better fraud protection.
View Quote
@RenegadeX
What card may I ask? That's an awesome feature.

@ the OP
Capital One has been great to me. Flag any purchase that is outside my normal spending habits, with a text and email. If I don't reply within a certain time frame they lock up the card.
The one time I actually had the card compromised, I had a new card in 2 days. Had a online vendor ignore emails and calls for almost 2 weeks after a purchase, called Capital One, had the $ back on my card immediately. They are always helpful when I call. I have never had to request a manager, the rep always handles the issue.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 6:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, most credit card agreements state that if there are fraudulent charges on your credit card you must notify them in writing within 60 days.

Now, a lot of them will process your claim by phone, or web form in good faith.  Probably 99% of the time everything works out ok with this method.

But, if you feel like you are getting jerked around, I would notify them in writing via certified mail so that 60 days down the road they can't claim you never called them, wrote them etc... and now you own the charge because you're outside the 60 days.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 11:37:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@RenegadeX
What card may I ask? That's an awesome feature.
View Quote
It was a Federal Credit Union, but Discover and others now offer it also.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#21]
LMAO AMEX is gunho about chargeback.  To a point even if you think for a sec they still chargeback and send you a new card.  Love their customer service
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 4:37:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, most credit card agreements state that if there are fraudulent charges on your credit card you must notify them in writing within 60 days.

Now, a lot of them will process your claim by phone, or web form in good faith.  Probably 99% of the time everything works out ok with this method.

But, if you feel like you are getting jerked around, I would notify them in writing via certified mail so that 60 days down the road they can't claim you never called them, wrote them etc... and now you own the charge because you're outside the 60 days.
View Quote
The vast majority waive off the written notification requirement.

They want to know as fast as possible.

Many allow for notification online  by logging into their account management software.
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 2:01:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Turned out Chase had closed the case in my favor.

Apparently, the hire help can't read the right info!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It was a Federal Credit Union, but Discover and others now offer it also.
View Quote
I've had a Discover since 2001 and they have simply been amazing on shit like this.  Can't tell you how many times I've been called and asked if I just bought $2K worth of shit at Office Depot in New Jersey (I live in Arkansas) and had a new card delivered by FedEx the next morning.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Turned out Chase had closed the case in my favor.

Apparently, the hire help can't read the right info!
View Quote
Exactly.  

My Chase Visa has been hacked 4 or 5 times so far.  Half the time they caught it before I did.  Each time they asked me to verify the charges I did or did not make, they CX'd the card and had another one FEDEX'd to my house the next day.  

This is the new normal, until banks get serious about security, and cops actually charge the criminals and shut them down. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top