Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2001 7:02:48 AM EDT
What is the accepted methods of legally attaching a barrel extension. I have a 11.5" pre-ban(threaded) barrel and wish to put a 5.5" flash suppressor thereby making it a legal 16". I have heard silver solder is acceptable but don't really know.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:18:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Ken,
Any of the weld/pin combination type methods are acceptable. It just has to be what they consider "permanent", or can't be removed with a tool without rendering the weapon usless type. None of the glue-on/epoxy/locktite type methods are accepted by the BATF. You can do a search on the web for BATF rulings and this is covered. You can probably find this covered somewhere in the older postings on this board even. Good luck.
DK
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:53:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Ken,go to the industry formums and ask KURT'S KUSTOM he can do it for at a reasonable price
and you will never know that its welded on.I have never personnely had him do any work,but
people rave about his work on this formum.I'm sure someone esle will tell you about his work.
         Rich
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:02:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I can do it myself once I know what"approved" method to use. I am a gunsmith albeit a correspondence course. I worked in a shop for 18 months and should probably know the answer to this question already. Guess I should call the nearest ATF office....I just don't want to.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:30:02 PM EDT
[#4]
The methods I've seen as approved are:

1) blind pin and weld over the pin
2) high temp silver solder over >50% of the circumference
3) four or more equidistant spot welds around the circumference.

The most common method I've seen is blind pin and weld the pin in place.
Link Posted: 3/24/2001 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I had planned on sweating silver solder into the threads. ts-8,000 psi/mp-460 degrees F. I thought that would look best. Think it'll fly?
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 2:36:53 AM EDT
[#6]
As I understand it, the silver solder has to be 1100f - 480f wouldn't cut it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2001 4:26:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Ah...thats the rub. Thanks circuits. I knew I read something somewhere's....couldn't recall.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top