Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 1/13/2010 8:39:53 PM EDT
It gets better and better....

Navy: Cruiser CO relieved for ‘cruelty’

By Philip Ewing - Staff writer
Posted : Wednesday Jan 13, 2010 22:21:00 EST

The commanding officer of the Yokosuka, Japan-based cruiser Cowpens was relieved of duty Wednesday after being punished for “cruelty and maltreatment” during her time in charge, the Navy announced. In an unusual move, she is being permitted to continue on to an assignment in the Pentagon.

Capt. Holly Graf was brought before an admiral’s mast with Rear Adm. Kevin Donegan, the commander of Carrier Strike Group 5, after an inspector general’s investigation found problems with her “temperament and demeanor vis-a-vis her subordinates,” said Cmdr. Jeff Davis, a spokesman for 7th Fleet.

Davis said he could not elaborate about what the IG had found about Graf’s treatment of her crew, but he said it had been taking place “over a length of time,” including when the ship was in port and at sea. Specifically, Donegan found Graf guilty of violating Article 93 of the Uniform Code of Military Justice — which covers “cruelty and maltreatment” — and Article 133, “conduct unbecoming an officer,” according to information provided by Davis.

Replacing Graf in command is Capt. Robert Marin, Davis said, who had already been scheduled to take over for her some time in January. Marin had been aboard the Cowpens since the end of December, making preparations for a normal change of command, so Donegan “ordered the change of command be executed immediately based on the non-judicial punishment and in the best interests of the ship and crew,” Davis said.

Davis said he didn’t think an exact date had been set yet for a normal change of command, but that Marin was to have taken over before the end of January. Graf is under orders to move on to a new assignment on the Navy Staff in the Pentagon, Davis said — a move already scheduled before her relief this week.

Her continuing into a job to which she had already been assigned is unusual for a Navy captain who has been relieved; many fired COs are assigned to the staff of their parent command and their careers effectively ended.

Graf is a 1985 graduate of the Naval Academy, according to her official Navy biography; she commanded the destroyer Winston S. Churchill, among other assignments, before taking command of the Cowpens in March 2008.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Wasn't that regulation written for captains who were a little to heavy with the lash and light with the rum?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Among other charges she reportedly affixed a bumpersticker to the stern of the ship that read; " My other ride is  Subaru"

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Wasn't that regulation written for captains who were a little to heavy with the lash and light with the rum?

a happy crew is a productive and non-mutinous crew

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Bet she was a real ball buster, in more ways than one.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#5]
dont ask dont tell
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, she played softball!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:55:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm, "conduct unbecoming" usually only means one thing...
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:55:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm...not to rain on anything, but I have to wonder what kind of brilliant Pentagon assignment a "relief from command" would provide to a male Captain?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

a happy crew is a productive and non-mutinous crew

Assholes and control freaks don't seem to understand this concept.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 8:56:49 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Bingo

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Bitch
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Among other charges she reportedly affixed a bumpersticker to the stern of the ship that read; " My other ride is  Subaru"

http://www.cowpens.navy.mil/Site%20Images/2008/batam/4.jpg

Holly?
Looks more like a Steve to me.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:02:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wounder if she gave some of the crew a severe tongue lashing?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
ongoing for some time?
let me guess, once a month for a few days at a time?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Hmmm...not to rain on anything, but I have to wonder what kind of brilliant Pentagon assignment a "relief from command" would provide to a male Captain?

Probably the same one she's getting...

It's a big building, and there are plenty of pointless staff jobs & desks in a corner that need filling with 'someone'...

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:06:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I bet she was just PMS'ing
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I'd "conduct unbecoming" her ass
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Don't be so sure about that champ.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Would she have to wear handcuffs?

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd find out soon enough. Once certain, an unholy long night, or a CPT waking up lonely
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:17:29 PM EDT
[#21]
One could only imagine the horrors she inflicted on the crew.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
One could only imagine the horrors she inflicted on the crew.

"Master Chief, once I enter the fo'castle dog the hatch behind me and don't open it up under any circumstances.
The entire watch section is in there, right?"
"I don't want ANY of them missing my 'power point' brief."

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#23]
DieselDyke
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Caught tongue lashing an enlisted crewman?
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd find out soon enough. Once certain, an unholy long night, or a CPT waking up lonely

I'm not sure you  picked the right individual out of that photograph...
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:44:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I honest to shit don't understand why we even try with the "no homos in the military."  When it is this obvious, just drop the charades.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#27]
blech
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 9:49:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Fuck that bitch and fuck that boat
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

She looks like a female version of Charlton Heston, but more masculine!
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 10:05:17 PM EDT
[#30]
I never heard anything but shit about the cowpens when I was in the Navy.

Also, typical Navy BS. Fuck up and get a better job. In this case for her - the pentagon.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 10:12:42 PM EDT
[#31]
She'll be a star in the LPGA

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Tell your kids, if they want to be an Officer and make quick rank, join the Navy. They're always firing people.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I never heard anything but shit about the cowpens when I was in the Navy.

Also, typical Navy BS. Fuck up and get a better job. In this case for her - the pentagon.

ever seen the pentagon?
 besides top level jobs, its where CK(career killers) go.  that place is a maze and the record for being lost in it is 3 days.

Link Posted: 1/13/2010 10:20:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Would she have to wear handcuffs?

Lol.
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 11:35:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT, I know that guy over the Subaru-driving CO's left shoulder

How damn long are officer tours in 7thFlt anyway
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 12:01:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Other than conduct unbecoming, what the fuck does the other charge sound like?
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

No, it actually doesn't.  It's a catch-all that can mean just about anything, and you'll never know what it was, because administrative personnel actions are covered by the privacy act.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 12:07:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Probably means she treated her staff like crap.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 1:28:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably means she treated her staff like crap.

I agree.

If by "her staff" you mean one with leather straps that go around her waist.

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 1:31:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Damn... rough crowd in this thread...
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I really want to know what she did.  Somehow I bet there's a squid reading this thread somewhere and biting his tongue.  
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:33:41 AM EDT
[#42]
i know a Chief on that ship. he was at my last command with me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:37:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holly?

No shit!!!  I had to do a doubletake to make sure that was not a guy!  That is one ugly woman!!
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:39:49 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm not sure you  picked the right individual out of that photograph...

That!

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:48:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a big building, and there are plenty of pointless staff jobs & desks in a corner that need filling with 'someone'...

I saw that happen before.

A Chief Master Sergeant in a squadron I was assigned to decided to give the squadron commander a reality check.  He walked into the COs office and told him (paraphrased), "Leave my guys alone.  You can sit here in your office and do your paperwork, but stay away from my people."

The next day the LtCol came to the Chief and asked him to follow him down the hall.  He took him to a bare office that had not been used in some time.  In it were a desk, a chair, and a telephone.  

The commander said, "Here is your new job.  Make yourself at home."

There was no job.  No responsibilities.  No authority.  It was a position.  It was a holding cell until the Chief decided to retire.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:49:50 AM EDT
[#46]
A dominatrix for a commander on a naval vessel?

That would make a great Monty Pythin skit.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:49:53 AM EDT
[#47]

"Holly, blow the boat ashore, hallelujah."

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:53:12 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holly?

No shit!!!  I had to do a doubletake to make sure that was not a guy!  That is one ugly womanbitch!!

Link Posted: 1/14/2010 2:55:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I saw that happen before.

A Chief Master Sergeant in a squadron I was assigned to decided to give the squadron commander a reality check.  He walked into the COs office and told him (paraphrased), "Leave my guys alone.  You can sit here in your office and do your paperwork, but stay away from my people."

The next day the LtCol came to the Chief and asked him to follow him down the hall.  He took him to a bare office that had not been used in some time.  In it were a desk, a chair, and a telephone.  

The commander said, "Here is your new job.  Make yourself at home."

There was no job.  No responsibilities.  No authority.  It was a position.  It was a holding cell until the Chief decided to retire.

If there was one thing I learned as a young Lt, it was this:  Avoid commanders like the plague, and NEVER f*ck with the Chief.
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 3:24:42 AM EDT
[#50]
The testosterone is heavy with Captain Holly.....I wonder what the gender of the crew member(s) she was mistreating was....? Maybe a little same sex sexual harrassment?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top