Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2010 5:40:59 PM EDT

I loved the movie but its certainly not an original story like many say.

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#1]
lol
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, its sad because its true.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow. That's dead on.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
you got it all wrong .... it was "dances with wolves" in outerspace with 10 foot tall blue people

the 3d kicked ass, and although i would break my own rules about not tapping anything with a tail .... i'd hit it,
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:57:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm. I haven't seen anyone that thinks it's original.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
There are only a few great stories, and many variations of them. Almost any movie/book/tall tale that has any quality these days is a recycled idea
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:05:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There are only a few great stories, and many variations of them. Almost any movie/book/tall tale that has any quality these days is a recycled idea

Some truth to that... but it in no way excuses Cameron for his childish unimaginative predictable cartoon bad script. Unobtainium for goodness sake, now that is creative in a three year old with a blunt weapon sort of way.

Make a visually stunning movie and the cripple it with a script not worthy of a Scooby-Doo episode.
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

http://i46.tinypic.com/iyo0tt.jpg

Who ever said it was original?

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i46.tinypic.com/iyo0tt.jpg

Who ever said it was original?

Dumb assed movie reviwers

Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some truth to that... but it in no way excuses Cameron for his childish unimaginative predictable cartoon bad script. Unobtainium for goodness sake, now that is creative in a three year old with a blunt weapon sort of way.

Make a visually stunning movie and the cripple it with a script not worthy of a Scooby-Doo episode.

And it would have worked too, if it wasn't for you meddling kids!
Link Posted: 1/5/2010 6:56:03 PM EDT
[#12]
ha ha!! awesome!!
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:36:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, that's pretty much it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Movie sucked balls.

The 3D wasn't even very good. It looked just like Journey to the Center of the Earth and all the other "digital 3D" movies I've seen in the last few years.

Not a single fucking original thing in the steaming pile of shit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:52:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:55:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 11:57:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was a piss poor story, but he knows what sells.  The movie would probably be just as successful with no plot at all.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It was a piss poor story, but he knows what sells.  The movie would probably be just as successful with no plot at all.

I might have been able to put up with an hour of nothing but vistas and panoramas with some decent music.

I thought the visuals were spectacular, I didn't pay attention to the story.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
The thing that is so sad is that it could have been so good.

Have the balls to kill off Sully - but not until the blue chick is pregnant.  The sacrifice of Sully could be the vehicle for detente between the humans and the Navi.  

Make the Colonel a more complex, nuanced, morally torn character who is doing a job that he doesn't always enjoy.  Have the army split between former .mil guys who are doing what is right (defending the indigenous) and mercs who just want to get paid and don't care.  

Make the blue chick the leader of the Navi at the end, and Sigourney Weaver lives and becomes leader of the human contingent, after she becomes a full-time Avatar and member of the Navi.  

Get rid of the idea that the Navi are noble savages - that cliched card has been played out, and more morally ambiguous characters are engaging - look at The Dark Knight if you need examples - shit, Jim Cameron, look at Sarah Connor!  

And get rid of all the green, liberal, humans are racist, not-so-subtle propaganda.  Philosophically conservative films blockbusters make:  The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spiderman, 300.  America hates liberal garbage - they'll spend money on it if it has good special effects (Star Wars 1-3), but it'll never be a classic.  

And this movie could have been a classic.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have the balls to kill off Sully - but not until the blue chick is pregnant.  The sacrifice of Sully could be the vehicle for detente between the humans and the Navi.  

Make the Colonel a more complex, nuanced, morally torn character who is doing a job that he doesn't always enjoy.  Have the army split between former .mil guys who are doing what is right (defending the indigenous) and mercs who just want to get paid and don't care.  

Make the blue chick the leader of the Navi at the end, and Sigourney Weaver lives and becomes leader of the human contingent, after she becomes a full-time Avatar and member of the Navi.  

Get rid of the idea that the Navi are noble savages - that cliched card has been played out, and more morally ambiguous characters are engaging - look at The Dark Knight if you need examples - shit, Jim Cameron, look at Sarah Connor!  

And get rid of all the green, liberal, humans are racist, not-so-subtle propaganda.  Philosophically conservative films blockbusters make:  The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Spiderman, 300.  America hates liberal garbage - they'll spend money on it if it has good special effects (Star Wars 1-3), but it'll never be a classic.  

I must say that I agree with you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:11:08 PM EDT
[#21]
It actually is more closely related to Dune than Pocahontas
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 12:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I can kind of see origionality in some things. Like the floating islands, the tree, even a very small portion of the storyline.

I didn't see the effects, someone lent me a bootleg copy. At first I thought I would like to see it in the theater but I couldn't subject myself to the propaganda, or whatever you want to call it, again. Plus it was just too dang long, but I don't like anything longer than 2 hours.

I'll bet the effects are cool!
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I can kind of see origionality in some things. Like the floating islands, the tree, even a very small portion of the storyline.

I didn't see the effects, someone lent me a bootleg copy. At first I thought I would like to see it in the theater but I couldn't subject myself to the propaganda, or whatever you want to call it, again. Plus it was just too dang long, but I don't like anything longer than 2 hours.

I'll bet the effects are cool!

They are cool and worth seeing in my opinion.

As far as propaganda, I think you only see it if you want to.

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I noticed something about the blue aliens.  They look like Gargamel's cat caught Smurfette, raped her, and the blue aliens were the offspring.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:34:57 PM EDT
[#25]
The only reason "Dances with Wolves" trumped it with the story line, was that the indian chick was really white.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#26]

(in 3D)

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I must say that I agree with you.

+1  Well said.

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#28]
There are aspects of the story I could argue your assertion with but would be a spoiler.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:37:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Holy Shit!

Stop the Mother Fuckin' Presses!

I had not heard of this.

This has not been discussed at all.

You should put a "BREAKING" in your thread title!

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#30]

Well played!

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:
http://imgur.com/KPSJo.jpg

(in 3D)

Well played!

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:04:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  Plus the UH-1 Hueys-with -pivoting-ducted-fans-instead-of-rotors make no freaking sense from an aerodynamics point of view....

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I noticed something about the blue aliens.  They look like Gargamel's cat caught Smurfette, raped her, and the blue aliens were the offspring.

Have you been spending too much time on 4chan?

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#34]
What is 4chan?
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:10:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you been spending too much time on 4chan?

Not at all.  It's just that the movie has been compared to "Dances with Smurfs" and when I saw the blue cat-aliens the odd comparison came to mind.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

agree 100%. i cam eout thinking it was an ok story that i have seen before (didnt actually make the connection to pocohontus but that analogy was spot on) but thought it was interesting and visually pleasing... and yeah, i'd tap that
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:12:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
What is 4chan?

Don't ask questions you don't want answers to.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:13:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I dunno guys, you're being kind of harsh. I enjoyed Pochahantas, Dances With Wolves, The Last Samurai, The New World, Avatar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:14:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 1/6/2010 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Beleg, I think some of your suggestions were part of The Battle for Terra.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top