Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2009 4:41:45 AM EDT
Have you ever had this happen?

it happen twice yesterday the second time it broke my extractor off
my new gun....S&W 15-22

what would cause this I have shoot a bunch of Remington 550 packs with out any problems.

and does anybody no a number or a way to contact Winchester?

the victim

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Fired out of battery.  Kb.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 4:54:57 AM EDT
[#2]

yeah I shot a box a while back out of 3 different .22's. No problems.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Not uncommon with the conversion kits. I'm surprised it happened with a dedicated unit.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:07:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

educate me
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:39:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I have run a few thousand 333 rounds through my Marlin 25N, Ruger MK II pistol, Marlin Model 60, and a Marlin 880SQ with 0 problems. In fact, I found this ammo to be neck and neck in quality, accuracy, and feeding with Federal 550 round bricks.

The Winchester Xpert HV stuff is total garbage and never runs well in my stuff. Same with the Remington Goldens: junk.

I also have had great luck with the CCI 40 grain lead nose ammo. Commonly found on sale for 13.90 per 500 round brick. Good stuff there too.

I am going to buy a small batch of the new Winchester Xpediter (1640 fps) and see how that stuff runs.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:44:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

educate me

I've found that my M261 kit will fire out of battery if the insert starts getting a lot of carbon in it.  Basically, the bullet won't fully seat into the insert and will stick out just a bit... maybe 1/16" or so...  It will still be closed up enough that when I hit the trigger the firing pin will set off the round, but it'll often-times bulge out or simply blow out part of the casing.

For the two times that's happened in the last 2 years or so, I found that it didn't harm anything thankfully.  I did quit shooting and clean it out, though, and it worked fine again afterward.

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:48:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

educate me
Both of those blew out above the rim, were they should be supported by the chamber. Obviously, they weren't fully seated in the barrel when they were fired.

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:53:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

educate me

Cartridge wasn't fully in the chamber AND the hammer was able to strike the firing pin.  No casing can take the strain of firing without the support of the chamber.  If it's haning out in the air, it'll pop.

When this happens with a rifle cartridge, you can get a KaBoom, because the breech area fills with pressure that should be in the barrel.  A .22 can't do much damage beyond what happened to you or blind you if you don't have safety glasses on...

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:54:10 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

educate me

The bolt did not push the cartridge all the way into the chamber.  When you pulled the trigger, the part of the case that was not supported by the chamber was unable to contain the pressure and burst.  The escaping gas caused your extractor to spontaneously eject.  

The straight walled design of the .22LR, direct blow back operation, dirty burning characteristics, and waxy bullet lube are some contributing factors.  This was not the fault of the ammo, per se.  

The solution is to make sure your gun is properly cleaned and lubricated.  If you are shooting dirty ammo, pull a bore snake through it every couple hundred rounds.  I'm not terribly familiar with that particular rifle, but would think that putting a new extractor in would be an easy fix for you.  

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:56:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted: It's also not uncommon with V22 uppers.

My V22 has an issue where the bolt doesn't go completely into battery.  But, when this happens, the hammer cannot reach the piin, so the hammer falls harmlessly on the bolt.  I suspect the chamer isn't cut properly and the cartridge occasionally hits a burr or something that keeps it from going all the way in.
Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

educate me

The bolt did not push the cartridge all the way into the chamber.  When you pulled the trigger, the part of the case that was not supported by the chamber was unable to contain the pressure and burst.  The escaping gas caused your extractor to spontaneously eject.  

The straight walled design of the .22LR, direct blow back operation, dirty burning characteristics, and waxy bullet lube are some contributing factors.  This was not the fault of the ammo, per se.  

The solution is to make sure your gun is properly cleaned and lubricated.  If you are shooting dirty ammo, pull a bore snake through it every couple hundred rounds.  I'm not terribly familiar with that particular rifle, but would think that putting a new extractor in would be an easy fix for you.  

ok thanks!

Link Posted: 12/31/2009 5:57:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

educate me

I've found that my M261 kit will fire out of battery if the insert starts getting a lot of carbon in it.  Basically, the bullet won't fully seat into the insert and will stick out just a bit... maybe 1/16" or so...  It will still be closed up enough that when I hit the trigger the firing pin will set off the round, but it'll often-times bulge out or simply blow out part of the casing.

For the two times that's happened in the last 2 years or so, I found that it didn't harm anything thankfully.  I did quit shooting and clean it out, though, and it worked fine again afterward.

I've had it happen a few times with Ciener and CMMG kits. It's also not uncommon with V22 uppers.

The thing you must do though is stop shooting immediately as when thet happens, there's most likely a bullet lodged in the bore that'll need rodded out before you damage the barrel

If you get a .22 bullet lodged in the barrel and follow that up by firing another round, the most common outcome is that both bullets are ejected.  If any damage does occur, it is in the form of a "ring bulge."  Ring bulges can usually only be observed from the bore and are not visible on the outside of the barrel.  Generally they are of no detriment to function of accuracy.  They are pretty common in used .22s.  It's not like your typical bore obstruction in a centerfire cartridge which ends with catastrophic results.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top