Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2009 2:36:17 PM EDT
I was going to combine pics of this climb with another in northern Maine, but it would just be too many pics. Stay tuned for that one if you're interested I guess, the pics are cool, much better than these IMO.

Anyhow, here's the scoop. Had a day off from work, September 21 as I recall. Weather was fair, hopped on the bike and rode to Acadia National Park. I had intended to climb this trail last Spring, but had forgotten Peregrine falcons nest there till Mid-August and the trail is closed until they've done their thing.

Here's a link describing the trail.  http://www.acadiamagic.com/precipice-trail.htm

This is the most challenging and well known hiking trail in Acadia National Park with an exposed and almost vertical 1,000 foot climb up the east face of Champlain Mountain. The trail is only recommended for physically fit and experienced hikers who have no fear of heights. The Precipice parking area is at the base of the Precipice cliff on the east side of Mount Desert Island about 1 mile north of the Schooner Head entrance fee station on the Park Loop Road. We suggest that you do not hike this trail alone and that you verify weather conditions before the climb.

The hiking trail has many rungs and ladders along the trail's length and is approximately 1.6 mile/2.6 km round trip. It can be closed late spring through mid-August due to the returning and endangered peregrine falcons so check with the National Park Service on this. Often, during this time, (Monday through Friday) there will be a Park naturalist at the Precipice parking area leading discussions and allowing people to view the falcons through a telescope.

I enjoyed it tremendously, it was a pretty unique climb.

twice, had to crawl through and under boulders

ALL kinds of iron rungs and ladders, pretty cool implements

side trail, closed

The "stairs" like this are pretty sweet

paging VaCaver. We don't have much for caves around here, I've climbed around through "slab caves" in Western Maine, very cool, but not exactly cavernous.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing I uploaded more pics of the climb than the view. Dumbass

bwahahaha I made it.

the critters were just destroying pine cones all over the mountain. Little hoarders. Winter is coming

I'll create a thread with pics from Big Spencer Mountain soon. Very cool mountain, very different than this one.

Check ya later.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:40:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm jealous

How close to Portland is this?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome pics!!!Looked like a great time!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Always enjoy your posts, cool pictures in all of them.

Would hate your winters though.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm jealous

How close to Portland is this?

less than 200 miles
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like a blast, I love a good hike.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:53:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Sweet, I love these threads.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks like a great day, and amazing views...
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Very nice pics.

Have you been through Mahoosuc Notch?
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 3:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Very nice pics.

I don't believe so. Not entirely sure actually.

I had an awesome science teacher that took a class of us all through Grafton Notch S.P. about 15 years ago, and we climbed Old Speck, went through a whole bunch of caves, but I haven't hiked in that specific area too much since. Just short jaunts when I'm passing through there on the motorcycle.

I want to pretty bad now though.

For a long time I've wanted to hike the length of the Appalacian Trail, but I've come to accept that it's not a very feasable scenario for me financially. My new goal, occurred to me earlier this year, is to section hike the length of the AT in Maine, and maybe go from there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 3:35:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome! The wife and I climbed it 10 years ago this month. It's nice to see that the route is still serviceable.

Good job on the pics.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Sweet pics Savage and thaks for sharing them with our fellow members.  We need more threads like these.  
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:20:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice...........very nice.
That looks fun as hell.

I bet right about now , and in the coming couple weeks , the views over the countryside with the changing foliage will be priceless.
Dianne (GS67)  just sent me some foliage pics she took over the weekend and its getting really pretty up there...Im homesick.

This is the best time of the year to be in Northern New England.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:23:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Very nice pics.

I hiked the Notch and climbed the Arm, the Arm was quite the workout.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:29:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Acadia's really nice. I had never done that trail.
My favorite places are Katadyn and the Bigelow range for hiking. The Androscoggin, Magalloway and Umbagog for paddling.

Great pics. Thanks for posting them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 1:41:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Nice...........very nice.
That looks fun as hell.

I bet right about now , and in the coming couple weeks , the views over the countryside with the changing foliage will be priceless.
Dianne (GS67)  just sent me some foliage pics she took over the weekend and its getting really pretty up there...Im homesick.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/ultramagbrion/Foliage2.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y214/ultramagbrion/Foliage10.jpg

This is the best time of the year to be in Northern New England.

It is gorgeous.

http://www.maine.gov/doc/foliage/report/index.shtml

Sometimes I'll just be driving down the road or something of that nature and it'll hit you like a brick wall how pretty a treeline across a field is, or the view across a pond. The simple things.
Link Posted: 10/6/2009 3:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice! No way you'd get me on that trail, though. Nope, nuh uh.
Link Posted: 10/8/2009 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice! No way you'd get me on that trail, though. Nope, nuh uh.

It's really pretty from the bottom too

Actually, now that I think about it, there are some considerably less drastic trails to the top.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top