Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2009 6:56:38 PM EDT
The wife and I were at the grocery store tonight, and while grubbing through the produce section I noticed a fella next to me OCing (some polymer high-cap something, for those who care).  He was also carrying handcuffs.  Is this something anybody ever does, and if so why?  He did not strike me as an off-duty police officer (kind of scruffy looking), maybe a bail bondsman?  Dawg's lil' brother?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I would bet he was an LEO, whether off-duty or plainclothes.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

not necessarily. I know a couple guys who will carry handcuffs just to avoid the hassle of dealing with the common sheeple. People assume that they're law enforcement so they rarely get shit while open carrying.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

not necessarily. I know a couple guys who will carry handcuffs just avoid the hassle of dealing with the common sheeple. People assume that they're law enforcement so they rarely get shit while open carrying.

*writes that down*
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:35:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

not necessarily. I know a couple guys who will carry handcuffs just to avoid the hassle of dealing with the common sheeple. People assume that they're law enforcement so they rarely get shit while open carrying.

For some reason, people always think I'm a cop. Even when I don't OC

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:39:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I've never carried cuffs outside of work... they just stay in my car.  I'm not ballsy enough to try and use them outside of work, no matter what.  They stay in my car.

Plus, I don't want someone saying I was pretending to be a cop, etc.

When I OC I try to wear decent clothes and shave... it tends to give the same impression.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#6]
You should just get one of those ID holders the cops use and put your CCW permit in it and hang it around your neck. They'll think the ID is something official. (Only do this if OC is legal in your area.)

The obvious compromise is that while helping to draw less suspicion from joe public, it might get a
from LE.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd probably get funny looks with fur-lined handcuffs, I should probably leave the gag ball at home too?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I heard they make CCW badges to wear on your belt too.  That would be cool.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry my gun and a couple extra mags.  I only carry cuffs when I'm on duty.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Seriously?

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:35:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never seen anyone OCing with cuffs.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously?

If you have a open carried gun, handcuffs on your belt, and a ID holder with your license in it around your neck you may as well complete the whole picture and get the CCW badge too.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:39:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I carry my gun and a couple extra mags.  I only carry cuffs when I'm on duty.

And thats the best way to do it. The second you cuff somebody they are your baby. If he decides to start banging his head into a brick wall or jump off a freeway overpass (Yeah, I actually responded to one of these) while cuffed it is your responsibility to stop it. Will a squad car take 5 minutes or an hour to get there?
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I OC here in San Diego.

I think a set of cuffs would really fuck myself during a 12031 check.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

/Karl Childers/ I heared that said once or twice...umm hmm /Karl Childers/

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:46:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:47:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For some reason, people always think I'm a cop. Even when I don't OC

I've had some people say that I look like a fed before. I think it's how I dress.

Link Posted: 8/31/2009 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
The only kind of cuffs I carry around are the kind with fur on them.....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top