Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Posted: 8/26/2009 2:22:58 AM EDT
Came home from grocery shopping yesterday put groceries away took glock out of IWB holster and went to set it on the stairs where I set it everyday while I cook dinner. My hands were sweaty and I dropped my glock, gun fell and instead of letting it drop i tried to grab it and ended up pulling the trigger. Round discharged and went thru 3 townhouses and lodged in the banister of the 3rd townhouse. Roommates checked on neighbors thank god no one was home, other roommate called police. Sheriffs showed up took report and allowed me to drive to the sherrifs office to turn myself in rather than placing me in cuffs. I have renters insurance and aside from some spackle and a new banister theres no damage the girls in the 3rd house were shaken up when they heard about it, guys next door didn't care. Went to sherrifs office turned myself in got printed and mugshots taken. Went before the magistrate and got released on 1000 recognizance bail.

Anyone ever been in this pickle and how did it turn out?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#1]
You're fucked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:30:38 AM EDT
[#2]
oops.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:31:36 AM EDT
[#3]
SOrry to hear about this.

tag
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
So I guess your going to carry a gun with a manual safety from now on?

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Get a lawyer.  I imagine you can plea it down to something less.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:32:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Lawyer.

Yesterday
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:32:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Glock Perfection
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lawyer.

Yesterday

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:33:56 AM EDT
[#10]
If it is possible, try for a deferred sentence.  You plead, pay fines cost etc go 6 months to a year with no criminal action and it is dropped.  Upside no criminal history ( it should show on the history as you were charged but the charges were dismissed) if you make it through the deferred period.  Downside––-if you don't make it you all ready pled guilty and are fucked.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:35:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Pretty much what I figured. Looking at 12 months in county jail, $2500 fine, and wasting 4 years of college as an Administration of Justice Major. Nice knowing ya'll.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:35:57 AM EDT
[#12]
I dropped an air tool that had a skill saw blade on it, and tried to catch it. Needed stitches, afterward, dropped knifes when I was a professional skinner, tried to catch them till the boss saw me do it. It is a painful lesson you are learning. let dangerous stuff fall, and take it's nicks where it will. flesh, bone and property can't be as easily fixed as a scratch or ding.

Sorry for your pain, but maybe, and I really doubt it, the judge you get will be a little understanding especially since no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:36:13 AM EDT
[#13]
You might want to look into a 2A friendly lawyer, thankfully no one was hurt.  Copy of a post from the VA HTF.

Enclosed is a list from VCDL website of 2A friendly lawyers, haven't had to use one, but at least a place to start.

http://www.hkshooter.net/lawyers/
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Yup, you should just send all firearm related items to me.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:37:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:38:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lawyer.

Yesterday

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:41:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Lawyer and delete post for no reason other than thats what a lawyer would say to do probably.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:42:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Pretty much what I figured. Looking at 12 months in county jail, $2500 fine, and wasting 4 years of college as an Administration of Justice Major. Nice knowing y'all.

I doubt very much you will do the time. The county would rather have your money, and see you paying taxes. I work in a County jail by the way.

ETA: college student aren't in my jail for long unless they robbed or killed someone.

Got a Texas A&M football scholarship student,  dad is an A&M professor who is waiting to catch chain to TDC for 3 yrs for aggravated robbery. Hell of a running back. To bad he decided to do an armed robbery of a drug dealer.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:44:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Next time let the bitch hit the earth.  My G26, unfortunately has hit the floor twice in the last 8 years.
I don't bother going for it because I know my luck, and I would get my sausage finger in the trigger guard, and blow off my nuts.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:44:51 AM EDT
[#20]
You need to get a good, expensive lawyer right now! Make sure your lawyer is working ths to preserve your 2A rights. You are responsible for what happened but from your post it doesn't sound like you should lose your rights. However, the justice system may try to do exactly that. They may sweeten the impact by offering you various plea-deals but make sure you do not become a prohibited purchaser if at all possible. Good luck to you, thank God nobody was injured and LAWYER UP!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:46:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Wear an Obama shirt and call them all racist.

P.S. - See what they plea down to with even a PD. If it's retarded, then retain a $$$ lawyer and tell them to go fuck themselves.

If you don't have a prior record, you'll be fine and get a fine or worst case, some bullshit community service.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Do / Did you have a CCW licenes?

All is not lost. At least not in KY.

Get a lawyer $1000 or slightly more. Plea out to a lesser charge. Go talk to your CCW instructor. He might be able to tell you what hoops you will have to jump thru in order to get your firearm back.

After all the court shit is over and all requirements are met, you can call the ATF and ask about getting you firearm back.

The ATF will most likely be involved no matter what. But as long as there was no drug charges involved, you should come out of the situation with little more than an empty bank account.

Shit happens man. One thing is for sure. It is time to move to a home when you get a chance. Find a trailor on some land. If you ND there, it probably won't hit someone elses residence.

I've known people in a simular situation as yours.

You will not go to jail. No way no how.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:48:23 AM EDT
[#23]
How the GLOCK safety working for you?

This mistake call for the GUNNY- boot kicking, asshole ripping, dick pulling with spit flying ass chewing "Private PILE" or would a Jack-Boot Blanket Party work for you. This is Gunny Approved!

Glad to hear you did not kill someone and make the NEWS. You have just made 3 families Anti-Gunners Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:49:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Glock Perfection

^Yep.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:50:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Actually, go to court and proclaim that they are lucky that you did not nuke them from orbit!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Upside my record was clean up until this point. Got a ticket for not wearing a seatbelt in highschool and a faulty equipment in 06.

Landlord just happens to be a lawyer. Sent his secretary to the jail yesterday to try to talk to the officer. Your talking about a town of 3000 people. Everyone knows everyone. Landlord is going to wave his rights and represent me, he's not mad and understands it was an accident. I also have the district attorney as one of my professors who I just happened to see on my way in when I turned myself in yesterday. He told me not to worry about it, and so I'm not really sure what I'm looking at. Arresting officer told magistrate he wasn't going to ask for jailtime or foriture of 2A rights. Wants me to get some firearms retraining and do a shit ton of community service along with restitution to the property owner. Parents are on their way to town this morning, and court is at 9am tommorow. Stay tuned this could either be a I fucked up but they used some judicial restraint or I'll have the old lady posting my new blog. Fuck AROCK from Jail!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:51:24 AM EDT
[#27]
how is that illegal? i would have beat the crap out of my room mate that called the cops.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:53:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
How the GLOCK safety working for you?

This mistake call for the GUNNY- boot kicking, asshole ripping, dick pulling with spit flying ass chewing "Private PILE" or would a Jack-Boot Blanket Party work for you. This is Gunny Approved!

Glad to hear you did not kill someone and make the NEWS. You have just made 3 families Anti-Guuners Thanks.

There are two types of shooters:

Those who have had an ND...  And those who are waiting to have an ND.  It can happen to any of us; especially when complacency and overconfidence come into play.  One can follow the rules of safety 'to a T', but all it takes is one minor slip up somewhere along the line.  

The best of luck to the OP.  I'm glad nobody was injured.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:59:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Make new friends and keep the old. One is silver and the other is gold.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:00:28 AM EDT
[#31]
You sound eligible for Pre-Trial Intervention, or somethig similar down there in VA. The cops sound like like they don't want to screw you, that's always a good sign.

We had a drunk kid actually shoot at a tow truck driver, I mean fired seven shots at him. He got PTI here in NJ, so there is hope for ya.

Hang in there, and just be grateful that no one was shot.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:01:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Tell 'em you can't be held responsible for your actions 'cause you were wasted at the time.

That ought to do it!
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:05:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Roommate called PD? WTF?

If you want to work in LE you better get the best lawyer you can afford. Not your landlord but Johnny Cochran reincarnated.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:08:35 AM EDT
[#34]

If you were a minority, you could probably get away with it.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:09:37 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:11:03 AM EDT
[#36]
You should have told them you had taken the magazine out and were cleaning it and it just went off.

Seriously though it sounds like an excessive charge and I hope you are able to get it reduced or dismissed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:11:32 AM EDT
[#37]
you're fucked, you talked to the police,
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:12:53 AM EDT
[#38]
You should have let it hit the ground.  Glocks have a drop safety.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:13:33 AM EDT
[#39]
What were you charged with?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:14:14 AM EDT
[#40]
All I was worried about at the time it happened were the neighbors. I'm going to meet with the landlord/lawyer at 8. I'll post an update when I get back. First offense, officer isn't acting like he is out to bust my balls to bad, understands I was planning on taking the Police Academy Entrance Exam next time it becomes available, and said that he didn't think the outcome of this mishap would end those dreams. They even offered me pizza and wanted to talk guns at the station after they saw my AR and 1911s at the house. Overall still the worst experience in my life because I know if it had happened 3 hours later both of those houses would have been filled to the brim with drunk coeds and I very possibly could have killed someone. Also both the district attorney and the sherriff said they were sure I'd be getting the firearm back, which will immediately go up for sale. My fault no doubt for what happened, but the lack of a manual safety didn't help any in the situation.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:15:37 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Roommate called PD? WTF?

If you want to work in LE you better get the best lawyer you can afford. Not your landlord but Johnny Cochran reincarnated.

I know people that were charged with grand theft and accepted into law enforcement.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:15:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Plaxico, is that you ???
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:16:26 AM EDT
[#43]
For those slamming the roommate, yes, it would be SO much better when the other residents came home and found a bullet hole in the wall.

MUCH better outcome when he owned up to it at the start.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:16:58 AM EDT
[#44]
Perfect example of why a 5 lb trigger pull is not enough of a safety barrier. I have no doubt that other designs like a DA auto would have provided enough of a safety barrier to have prevented this ND.

I'm glad that no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:17:35 AM EDT
[#45]
Charged with Negligent handling of a firearm that resulted in injury to life limb or property. Class 1 Misdemeanor maximum sentence 1 year in county jail and a $2500 fine. Landlord is the #1 rated criminal defense attorney in 100 miles. I'm comfortable with him representing me. If not I know of two other highly reccomended defense attorneys. If not Its a matter of a phonecall to have my grandfathers fraternity brother fly in from Kansas city and represent me and he's about as expensive as they come.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:19:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:19:55 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

All I was worried about at the time it happened were the neighbors. I'm going to meet with the landlord/lawyer at 8. I'll post an update when I get back. First offense, officer isn't acting like he is out to bust my balls to bad, understands I was planning on taking the Police Academy Entrance Exam next time it becomes available, and said that he didn't think the outcome of this mishap would end those dreams. They even offered me pizza and wanted to talk guns at the station after they saw my AR and 1911s at the house. Overall still the worst experience in my life because I know if it had happened 3 hours later both of those houses would have been filled to the brim with drunk coeds and I very possibly could have killed someone. Also both the district attorney and the sherriff said they were sure I'd be getting the firearm back, which will immediately go up for sale. My fault no doubt for what happened, but the lack of a manual safety didn't help any in the situation.

Keep your mouth shut. Don't talk to anyone. The police offered you pizza in order to act like they were your friend.

Keep you mouth shut.

Should I say it again. Get a lawyer and keep you mouth shut.

DAMN DUDE?
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:28:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

They will lie/tell false hoods to get information. Trust me your possible career in law enforcement is probably over. They will look at your decision making capabilities and say, he tried to catch falling gun, bad decision. I really hate to rain on your parade, but don't trust them for a second.

Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:28:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Many French rifles don't have safeties. The French always make good stuff.

Glock gets another.

Your'e fucked, kiss a concealed permit goodbye.  Get a lawyer and run up your credit card.
Link Posted: 8/26/2009 3:30:27 AM EDT
[#50]
They are fucking charging you for this!?!?!?!?!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 10
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top