Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2009 7:17:22 PM EDT
Some give me hope..and others I want to drown in an old well used and poorly maintained septic tank. I've had my teen niece for a month for summer break and it has been a situation to get use to but generally ok. Well we get back to the house today she gets out of the car and some kids/teens ride by on bicycle and yelled out "NIGGER!" (She is mixed.) I tried to keep the situation light and didn't show my anger because I didn't know how she would take it.. She laughed it off and I was relieved but boy did I want to get my hands on those little pricks. What the hell is wrong with people? Not really a rant... but something that my mind keeps jumping back to.

Sil
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Stupid is as stupid does.

That kind of crap does need to stop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Some peoples kids.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Sheesh!

Be grateful.

If she was Irish, the Johnson's would try keeping her from getting a little piece of land to settle on.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Take her shooting, it'll make you feel better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:30:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Ditto guys. No real purpose to me posting this I guess.. the situation was just crazy for me I guess I'm just venting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#6]
This is a problem that is linked further back then just today's youth. I am sure their are adults who would have said the same thing. Thankfully their are fewer of them. Either way, it is still a problem.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:34:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry, those kids will eventually be gang raped in prison by Dontrell and co.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:35:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Ditto guys. No real purpose to me posting this I guess.. the situation was just crazy for me I guess I'm just venting.

Hell...sometimes just talking about it helps a bit.  

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:37:08 PM EDT
[#9]
The Lord will judge them for their hate.
Take her to the range and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Now I may lose all credibility in future threads but graduating high school two years ago I can tell you that "nigger" isn't taken the way you're all taking it. The school I went to was nearly all white, the town it's in 97% white. "Nigger" was an every day thing. The one black kid we had was a self proclaimed "nigga" and everyone called him as much.Hell I doubt half of them could have told you the origin of the term or it's original meaning. Not like they tought us anything like that...
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah getting it out of my head did help.. It's crazy I'm 10x more burned up about it then she was. She just completely shrugged it off and was like "Wow, really?" and laughed. Got a range trip planned with her bound to infuriate her over protective mother.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Whenever someone complains about kids these days I always say that my generation has treated its returning vets better than my parents generation.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Everyone says the next generation is screwed or are boneheads and always has.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:12:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Those kids need a ball-stomping.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sheesh!

Be grateful.

If she was Irish, the Johnson's would try keeping her from getting a little piece of land to settle on.

Howard Johnson is right!

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Some give me hope..and others I want to drown in an old well used and poorly maintained septic tank. I've had my teen niece for a month for summer break and it has been a situation to get use to but generally ok. Well we get back to the house today she gets out of the car and some kids/teens ride by on bicycle and yelled out "NIGGER!" (She is mixed.) I tried to keep the situation light and didn't show my anger because I didn't know how she would take it.. She laughed it off and I was relieved but boy did I want to get my hands on those little pricks. What the hell is wrong with people? Not really a rant... but something that my mind keeps jumping back to.

Sil
On a more personal issue, I would tell her how proud you were of her maturity in dealing with that callous situation.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:18:46 PM EDT
[#17]
REVEREND!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#18]

Dude that sucks.

I get really fired up when I hear this kind of stuff.

Where did kindness go?

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Teens have always been an issue with every generation, but it just seems as if the bad ones nowadays are just rotten to the core.  Drugs and alcohol are there no different than in previous years, but it's just taken to an excess that's the shocking part.  

The biggest issue I have is the seemingly increasing lack of respect for institutions, people, or authority.

Having no control over others kids, I'm focusing on my two and trying to do my best with what I have.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#20]
damn whiper snappers with their baggy clothes and their rap music... go take a nap. do you realize people have been complaining about youth for all of time?
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:39:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sil
On a more personal issue, I would tell her how proud you were of her maturity in dealing with that callous situation.

I've been torn between your suggestion and trying not to bring it up so I don't make a big deal out of it for her. I'll let something slip about how proud of her I was/am.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
damn whiper snappers with their baggy clothes and their rap music... go take a nap. do you realize people have been complaining about youth for all of time?

Ha I'm only 23  going on 24 but shit like this makes me feel older and disconnected from younger people.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#23]
you can thank the wonderful role models known as "hip-hop artists" for that.   artists, they are not...
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]
those ass holes just made be look bad
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
you can thank the wonderful role models known as "hip-hop artists" for that.   artists, they are not...

That and the dumbing down of the country.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:17:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bullshit, you can thank asshole racist parents for that shit.

They were not riding by going "yo, nigga, whass up?" They were yelling a nasty racial epithet.

Some of the excuses for racist assholes here really make me go:

Sorry you had to hear that despicable shit, OP. My brother is half black and we heard that type of shit daily. It never gets easier to deal with unfortunately. Sounds like she is dealing with it okay. My brother and I would have busted their teeth in.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They were not riding by going "yo, nigga, whass up?" They were yelling a nasty racial epithet.

Sorry you had to hear that despicable shit, OP. My brother is half black and we heard that type of shit daily. It never gets easier to deal with unfortunately. Sounds like she is dealing with it okay. My brother and I would have busted their teeth in.

Looks like the OP's niece had the right idea. Guess what? If they don't get a reaction, they move on. If you freak out, want to "bust their teeth in" they you did just what they wanted - you reacted. Words lose their power when they don't get a rise out of folks. So just replace what they said with "Hey whore!" It's not true so why rail and object that you aren't one? Just give them the look that says "boy are you a dumb ass" and get on with your life.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like the OP's niece had the right idea. Guess what? If they don't get a reaction, they move on. If you freak out, want to "bust their teeth in" they you did just what they wanted - you reacted. Words lose their power when they don't get a rise out of folks. So just replace what they said with "Hey whore!" It's not true so why rail and object that you aren't one? Just give them the look that says "boy are you a dumb ass" and get on with your life.

Turning the other cheek only works in fairy tales. They won't just move on, they will go on to harass the next "nigger" they find. You beat their ass and they will think about what they open their foul mouths to say to fellow human beings.

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Yeah, kids are way more racist every generation. Wait, no, the opposite of that.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:08:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The biggest issue I have is the seemingly increasing lack of respect for institutions, people, or authority.

There's a seemingly increasing lack of respectable institutions, people and authorities.

Yelling racial epithets at strangers would get you shunned around here, don't see that kind of behavior very often.

Most of the kids I run into are quite polite actually, bigger problem is how soft they are...

Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:47:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Meh, it's the usual.  If you play any online games you'll see a lot of the same.  People with no redeeming qualities like attention too, and they think if they're "shocking" they'll get it.

Best thing is to just not be shocked.  I'm not sure what's shocking about using that word.  I've shit more shocking things.

It's the same shit with douches (no offense to any here who do this ;)) who get gaudy jewelry, outlandish numbers of huge tattoos, spend a lot of time doing their hair (men anyway), wear crazy clothes, whatever.

It's a lot easier to say the N word or have some crazy "look" than to excel in a sport, built a nice physique, be intelligent, be highly skilled in some field, whatever.  Incredibly average people want some way to stand out too, and actually doing something or having a talent is too hard.

Maybe I'm getting old, but all these personality-in-a-zany-haircut and personality-by-being-shocking shitheads can get off my lawn and stop boring me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yeah, kids are way more racist every generation. Wait, no, the opposite of that.

WHo the hell said that?

The fact is that racists teach their kids to be racist and it is perpetuated. It sure as fuck still exists.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Meh, it's the usual.  If you play any online games you'll see a lot of the same.  People with no redeeming qualities like attention too, and they think if they're "shocking" they'll get it.

Best thing is to just not be shocked.  I'm not sure what's shocking about using that word.  I've shit more shocking things.

It's the same shit with douches (no offense to any here who do this ;)) who get gaudy jewelry, outlandish numbers of huge tattoos, spend a lot of time doing their hair (men anyway), wear crazy clothes, whatever.

It's a lot easier to say the N word or have some crazy "look" than to excel in a sport, built a nice physique, be intelligent, be highly skilled in some field, whatever.  Incredibly average people want some way to stand out too, and actually doing something or having a talent is too hard.

Maybe I'm getting old, but all these personality-in-a-zany-haircut and personality-by-being-shocking shitheads can get off my lawn and stop boring me.

I was a punk rocker in the 1980's, was athletic, and have tattoos. That is nothing like small minded fucks screaming "nigger" at strangers.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was a punk rocker in the 1980's, was athletic, and have tattoos. That is nothing like small minded fucks screaming "nigger" at strangers.

It's the same drive though.  It's just that when manifested by someone especially douchy it comes out as screaming the n word at some stranger.

It all comes down to poor ego development.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's the same drive though.  It's just that when manifested by someone especially douchy it comes out as screaming the n word at some stranger.

It all comes down to poor ego development.

No, it's racist assholes teaching their kids to be racist assholes. That sort of shit comes from somewhere and it isn't a cry for attention. As I already mentioned in this thread, most of my family is a bunch of racists, been that way for years and the youngsters think it's normal and desirable. It isn't about attention, it is about ignorance breeding ignorance.

Try again, Herr Freud.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:29:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Teens have always been an issue with every generation, but it just seems as if the bad ones nowadays are just rotten to the core.  Drugs and alcohol are there no different than in previous years, but it's just taken to an excess that's the shocking part.  

Having no control over others kids, I'm focusing on my two and trying to do my best with what I have.

This right here. That small town of 5000 people (in WI) that was 97% white? Our high school had one of THE highest crime rates in the state. I would say at LEAST 80% of my senior class was a druggie and next to all of them drank excessively on a regular basis. It got to the point where they installed cameras in all the "traffic" areas and had random searches 6-7 times a year. The first "random search" netted something like 53 of 117 students had either drugs or alcohol AT SCHOOL.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:37:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now I may lose all credibility in future threads but graduating high school two years ago I can tell you that "nigger" isn't taken the way you're all taking it. The school I went to was nearly all white, the town it's in 97% white. "Nigger" was an every day thing. The one black kid we had was a self proclaimed "nigga" and everyone called him as much.Hell I doubt half of them could have told you the origin of the term or it's original meaning. Not like they tought us anything like that...

So the assholes who shouted this to the OP's niece as they drove by were just trying to be friendly to her?

Not buying it.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:42:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here. That small town of 5000 people (in WI) that was 97% white? Our high school had one of THE highest crime rates in the state. I would say at LEAST 80% of my senior class was a druggie and next to all of them drank excessively on a regular basis. It got to the point where they installed cameras in all the "traffic" areas and had random searches 6-7 times a year. The first "random search" netted something like 53 of 117 students had either drugs or alcohol AT SCHOOL.

High School was last year wasn't it?

You really think a town of 5000 had one of the worst crime rates? In any state?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 12:59:08 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per capita it did though admittedly it was all drug/alcohol related. Then again we also had one of the highest teen pregnancy rates...the football team got the cheerleaders pregnant...then of course they disbanded the cheerleaders and now they have nothing.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:19:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per capita it did though admittedly it was all drug/alcohol related. Then again we also had one of the highest teen pregnancy rates...the football team got the cheerleaders pregnant...then of course they disbanded the cheerleaders and now they have nothing.

Alcohol, drugs, and knocked up cheerleaders isn't crime, it isn't even a decent party unless there's a band.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:23:59 AM EDT
[#42]
I thought that kids today used that word as a greeting. It seems to be used as a mark of accomplishment in many songs and conversations.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:26:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Some of us are doing just fine... About 390 of my high school class of 478 went on to college (this was the class of 2008) and all but three graduated on time.

Sure, there's a lot of alcohol and some pot, but some of the kids hosting those parties were pulling 4.0+ GPAs and are currently at great colleges, so I really don't think it was a problem.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:31:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:34:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I thought that kids today used that word as a greeting. It seems to be used as a mark of accomplishment in many songs and conversations.

Another one making excuses for the use of nigger....
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really know what to say to this except that if you really believe that the word "nigger" is no longer taken the way we're all talking about, then you have had quite a sheltered life, even after high school.

The reason nobody in your town or at your school has a problem with the word is that they are all white. Why would any of them take offense to it?

I bet they all had killer sheets!

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 2:37:15 AM EDT
[#47]
Sorry your niece had to deal with such losers.....

I'm white, but there is absolutely no call for that.

Kids these days are mean, and they will use any means they can to be mean to eachother.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:04:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another one making excuses for the use of nigger....

I'm not making any excuses, just stating a fact of life.  Have you listened to the youth of today while they talk among themselves? How about the "music" that they listen to?

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:12:48 AM EDT
[#49]
She should have smiled and shouted back something like:

"What's up retard?! Nice to see you up around after the lobotomy"

You could have then "dealt" with any of the questions that the bottom feeders felt inclined to ask...
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:16:18 AM EDT
[#50]
People suck and I can only think that those douchebag kids are the very reason the tazer was invented.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top