Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2009 3:06:25 AM EDT
My craptastic old 14" Poulan finally went tits up.  I can get a new 14" Echo (5-year guarantee) for $199, or I can get a 14" Homelite (1 year guarantee) for $109 and put the remaining hundred toward a new Millet DMS.  Naturally, the Home Depot guy says it's a no-brainer... get the Husky or the Stihl...

The only thing I use a saw for is occasional trimming (and extremely rarely) I may have to drop a small slash pine or two.  That old Poulan served me well for eight years before I finally burned her up.  Both saws will likely outlast their warranties - is it worth the extra hundred to get the Echo?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:16:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
 Naturally, the Home Depot guy says it's a no-brainer... get the Husky or the Stihl...

And he would be right

I did have a McCullogh (sp?) that worked just fine down in FL(for the few times I used it).........the other two were Huskies and I should have kept the last one

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Of those two, I would get the Echo.

The ones sold in HD are the exact same models the dealers sell, it is not a cheaper 'consumer' model.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:37:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I know the Husky and Stihl are better machines.  I just have no need for a professional-grade chainsaw, and I'm loath to spend the money on a machine that's only gonna be used a few times a year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:38:44 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad has a husqavarna that's older than me... gone through a couple bars and a bunch of chains, but the motor's never been touched other than plugs.  It stills eats through wood like beaver on crack, too.  

Get a husq (or stihl) and be done with it.  Seen way too many of my Grandpa's homelites go south to ever consider buying one of them.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:41:30 AM EDT
[#5]
stihl
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:42:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Echo out of those two choices, but personally I would pick up a Stihl or Husky.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]
If you had bought a Husky or Stihl to start with, you wouldn't need to be buying another saw.  End this vicious cycle and go Husky or Stihl!
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:47:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I know the Husky and Stihl are better machines.  I just have no need for a professional-grade chainsaw, and I'm loath to spend the money on a machine that's only gonna be used a few times a year.

Understood.

Id look used...........Craigs List and such locally.

When you respond to the ad , tell the guy your coming to look at it , but you want it "COLD" when you get there. Feel the muffler to make sure it hasnt been run that day , and THEN start it up.

That'll tell ya what to expect when you go to fire it up yourself after it's sat in your garage for 5 months.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 3:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Understood.

Id look used...........Craigs List and such locally.

When you respond to the ad , tell the guy your coming to look at it , but you want it "COLD" when you get there. Feel the muffler to make sure it hasnt been run that day , and THEN start it up.

That'll tell ya what to expect when you go to fire it up yourself after it's sat in your garage for 5 months.

This
Do some looking and you will find a better saw that will last alot longer
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
stihl

and don't look back.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:18:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Wait until Sears puts their 16" Craftsman on sale, usually around $239. It's made by Poulan and is a real decent saw for the money. I've found that cheap chain saws are just that - cheap.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:28:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Stihl.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:35:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an electric homelite; it seems to work just fine.

I think mine was about $50-60.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:36:59 AM EDT
[#14]
the homelite saws use a gravity feed oil system for the bar oil.  if you fill it up, use it a short time and then put it away, next time you pick it up all the oil has leaked out.  Makes a huge mess and waste a lot of bar oil.  also, my 45cc homelite seems way underpowered for it's size.  

i have no experience about echo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Some of the cheaper Husky saws aren't that much more expensive than your Foulan Apart.. or am I thinking weed whackers?

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
stihl

This.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:47:04 AM EDT
[#17]
"I dont need a profesional grade saw"
I feel there are three levels:
Pro- High end Husky/stihl––you dont need
Everyman saw-  Husk/stihl non-profesional––you need this
Junk- Echo/Homolite-  will let you down at some point
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:49:21 AM EDT
[#18]
If you're only going to do light work around the house you can get a Stihl MS170 for under $200.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:51:11 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

"I dont need a profesional grade saw"

I feel there are three levels:

Pro- High end Husky/stihl––you dont need

Everyman saw-  Husk/stihl non-profesional––you need this

Junk- Echo/Homolite-  will let you down at some point
Echo engines all have a 300 hr rating.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 4:54:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell that to the power equiptment sales/service next door to me that works on them constantly.  As opposed to their Husky's which have far fewer problems.
My dick has a 45min. rating...doesn't mean it works that long.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Stihl. I bought an 025 about 10 years ago. Haven't had to buy another saw since.

Pmc
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:03:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Between the two get the Echo. Parts and servicing dealers are more prevelant. I sell Echo and Stihl, and Stihl is the winner there as far as sales.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:07:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Stihl MS170 - 12" to 16" bar. MSRP 179

Why arent you on the way to the Stihl dealer again?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:11:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Stihl
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:11:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Be a man and get a Husqvarna or Stihl.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:13:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Spend a bit more and get a Sthil.

Homelite is shit
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:17:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My craptastic old 14" Poulan finally went tits up.  I can get a new 14" Echo (5-year guarantee) for $199, or I can get a 14" Homelite (1 year guarantee) for $109 and put the remaining hundred toward a new Millet DMS.  Naturally, the Home Depot guy says it's a no-brainer... get the Husky or the Stihl...

The only thing I use a saw for is occasional trimming (and extremely rarely) I may have to drop a small slash pine or two.  That old Poulan served me well for eight years before I finally burned her up.  Both saws will likely outlast their warranties - is it worth the extra hundred to get the Echo?

Do you really need a chainsaw?
You might be surprised how well a decent sized buck saw with a sharp blade will cut through stuff. A chainsaw with old gas is a problem,
Kiss is the way to live! (and saves lots of cash for  toys!)

And if the answer is that you do need a saw––Go Stihl
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:18:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Echo out of those two choices, but personally I would pick up a Stihl or Husky.

Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I've owned a number of popular brand saws. Echo and Stihl are about the best of them. Either brand causing but few problems.

I once left my big 18"barred Echo out on the porch during a rainy, cold winter. The porch was covered, and not all that exposed to the weather, plus the saw was in it's case, so gave it little thought.

I happened to open the chainsaw case one day, and the poor Echo saw was encased in a saw shaped chunk of ice!!!!  I guess one of the rains had blasted in under the exposed side of the porch and filled my saw case up with water, then froze.

I figured my Echo saw was locked up junk, what with setting in water, then frozen into a chunk of water. However, the start rope and choke knob were above ice level, a couple pulls on the rope, and the big Echo was running! I just left it run until it melted itself loose from the iceberg. No harm done.  

I also own a Stihl 027 saw. It's about the right size for homeowner use, has a 16" bar. It's main issue is that I consider it quite heavy for it's displacement. A sign of quality I suppose, as the Stihl has never needed anything other than normal maintenance for perfect preformance. Stihl has changed it's model numbers around somewhat, but should be able to buy a 027 size saw for about $279 or so. Well worth the additional money over the usual home-use Poulans, Mac's, Homelite, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:31:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Naturally, the Home Depot guy says it's a no-brainer... get the Husky or the Stihl...

And he would be right

FTW
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:32:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Stihl, Husky, or Jonsered.  Anything else will let you down eventually.  

I bought a Stihl MS-361 but would have gotten the Husky/Jonsered if I could have found dealer closer than 75 miles away at the time.  

Another way to look at it is would you rather have a throw away saw or a saw you can rebuild?  I can get every part I need to rebuild my Stihl and do it economically whereas the cheapy saws you throw away and get a new one.  The Stihl was ~$500 but I won't be buying another one anytime soon.  

Now if I could just figure out a reason to start it sometime :(  My new bride is allergic to smoke so I don't know if we will be using the wood stove this year.  I haven't started it in 4 months :(
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:36:50 AM EDT
[#33]
They are both gay. Get a Sthil.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:41:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They are both gay. Get a Sthil.

DITTO!
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:45:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Crazy timing on this thread.    Last year, a cut down a good sized cottonwood tree in my back yard that was sick.    A co-worker wanted the wood, so he offered to haul it all off, and help cut it down.   He borrowed our bosses Stihl "Rancher" model.   It was brand new, and wow, what a saw.   The tree was about 24" or so at the base, maybe a bit bigger.   That saw cut through the tree like you can't believe.  I have a little piece of shit Homelite that does ok for small trimming, and is quite old––-like 20yrs old.   It was almost a waste of time compared to the Stihl.  

I need a new saw desperately, but just can't pull the trigger on the $350 Rancher right now.      Today I need to work on cutting the stump off below the ground and covering it with sod.   I have to use my little Homelite.    I'm not sure it can do it.   No, let me rephrase that; it isn't going to work, and I don't want to borrow someone elses saw-don't feel right about it.  This is going to be a long fucking day.   I'm going to wash my truck first so I don't feel like shit at the end of the day.....
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:45:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm on the way... dayum.   This is a better price than the Echo.   The Echo has a five year guarantee and the Stihl has a one year guarantee.  I'll have to ask them about service and repairs and stuff.  Either way, I think this is the ticket.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#37]
Dolmar.  Don't drink the Colt/Stihl koolaid.

But in all seriousness,  Stihl has the best dealer network, so parts will NEVER be a problem.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:03:26 AM EDT
[#38]

New chainsaw - Homelite or Echo? = New AR - Blackthorn or Colt?
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:19:23 AM EDT
[#39]
The homelite isn't even in the same class  as the Echo and thus for should not even be considered.  The Echo is a great saw, and they make great equipment in general.

Echo=Husguavarna(spelling)=Stihl=quality equipment (same class as long as you stay in relative price range)

Homelite=Poulan=POS
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:23:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I have the Echo CS400 18" from the Depot.   Does everything I could want it to.  Picked up the 20" bar over the weekend for larger stuff.   Go with the Echo no doubt.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 6:49:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on the way... dayum.   This is a better price than the Echo.   The Echo has a five year guarantee and the Stihl has a one year guarantee.  I'll have to ask them about service and repairs and stuff.  Either way, I think this is the ticket.

Thanks!

I was the first to recommend the Stihl 170 but I would probably go with the Echo instead if it's got a 5 year warranty.
Link Posted: 7/22/2009 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Well, my old piece of shit Homelite shit the bed today working on my stump, so I went a head with advice from this thread and bought a Stihl 250.   It was $100 more than the 180, but it should do everythikng I  try to tackle.   I went through two chains today on the stump(trimming it down to a level under the sod layer; yes I dug it out first so I wasn't cutting dirt), and am still not done.

I'll finish it tomorrow.   I should have just paid someone to do something with it.  

I'm happy with the saw.   Can't wait to take it up to our cabin to work on trails around the cabin.
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:22:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

I was the first to recommend the Stihl 170 but I would probably go with the Echo instead if it's got a 5 year warranty.

I gave serious consideration to the Echo.  When I went in to the Stihl dealer, I found that he's also an Echo and Troy dealer.  The small Stihl seemed to be lighter and handier, and according to the dealer, "As long as you treat these things right, neither one should need repair any time within the next 8 or 10 years."  I figured since my old POS Poulan lasted 8, he should be about right.  I went ahead and got the Stihl 170.  I burned through two tanks of gas last night in an hour and a half.  I'm happy.  

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 8:24:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Well, my old piece of shit Homelite shit the bed today working on my stump, so I went a head with advice from this thread and bought a Stihl 250.   It was $100 more than the 180, but it should do everythikng I  try to tackle.   I went through two chains today on the stump(trimming it down to a level under the sod layer; yes I dug it out first so I wasn't cutting dirt), and am still not done.

I'll finish it tomorrow.   I should have just paid someone to do something with it.  

I'm happy with the saw.   Can't wait to take it up to our cabin to work on trails around the cabin.

That's a job for a stump grinder, not a chainsaw. Or tannerite

Pmc

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:10:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Stihl
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And he would be right

exactly
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Stihl is the correct answer.

#1 - The engineering on their products is absolutely as thorough as can be.  I've sat in meetings with the German engineers at Stihl and they are meticulous.  When you buy a Stihl, you are getting the best built saw on the planet.

#2 - They are made in the USA down in Virginia Beach by Americans.  I've been through the assembly plant and they are all good people.  The entire manufacturing process is highly automated and super high tech.  You won't be paying a dime for slackers.  Just dedicated technicians and line workers.

What more could you ask for?  A saw that you can feel good about buying because not only is it the best but it also keeps your money in the free world and employs Americans.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#48]
Neither
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#49]
Getting the cheapest  Stihl  that is under $200 would be a better choice than the Poulan or Echo.

Link Posted: 7/23/2009 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Wait until Sears puts their 16" Craftsman on sale, usually around $239. It's made by Poulan and is a real decent saw for the money. I've found that cheap chain saws are just that - cheap.

For that kind of money, you can get a small homeowner grade Stihl.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top