User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2001 12:16:31 PM EDT
[url]www.tampatrib.com/pasconews/MGAZYC3TBKC.html[/url]

Mar 14, 2001 - 08:26 PM

Robbery leads to gun-drawn stops
               WILL RODGERS
               of The Tampa Tribune

Guns drawn, two Pasco County sheriff's deputies ordered a tall, T-shirt-clad man from a car Wednesday as stunned commuters stopped near the intersection of State Road
54 and Collier Parkway looked on.
Within minutes, the clearly nervous man was back in his car and back to his life.              That was the scene that played over and over again as every available deputy in the Lutz area responded to a 1:05 p.m. Wednesday robbery at the Bank of America at 22850 S.R. 54.
``That is just routine for stopping a robbery suspect,'' Lt. Bruce Schmelter said about
his deputies pulling over motorists with guns ready to fire.  Deputies in four patrol cars, a sheriff's office K-9 unit and a helicopter searched for the robber based on a partial description of him, Schmelter said. Men in all sorts of cars likely were stopped, he said.
``We had no vehicle description. All we know is the guy left out the back door.''               According to sheriff's officials, this is what happened:  A white man entered the bank, walked up to a teller and demanded money. He did not
show a weapon but indicated he had one.
The teller gave the man an undisclosed amount of cash, which he put into a black zipper bag resembling a shaving kit. He left through the back door of the bank and headed toward the Big Kmart at Willow Bend Towne Centre.              The eight employees and two customers in the bank during the robbery were not injured, sheriff's officials said.
The suspect had not been located late Wednesday afternoon. Sheriff's officials described the robber as white, in his late 20s to early 30s, 5-foot-10 to 6 feet, and thin with reddish- blond hair and sideburns.  He wore a camouflage ball cap backward; a long-sleeve, plaid or checked shirt with the sleeves rolled up; a black watch on his left wrist; bluejeans; and white tennis shoes.  People with information about the robbery can call Detective Pete Weekes at
               1-800-854-2862, Ext. 7279.

Will Rodgers can be reached at (813) 948-4220 or [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 12:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't see any problem here, the cops were protecting themselves.  So what if a dozen or so people's lives get disturbed, we all need to sacrafice for the needs of the few.  That's what todays America is all about.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Whew.  I thought you were being serious.  Glad I scrolled down to see the note about sarcasm off.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 12:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]
WELL,
this is alot of crap.......they can stick this kind of standard proceedure and shove it where the sun don't shine
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I have lived in Pasco County for 16 years
and I can not recall this ever happening before.
The attire of the suspect is the "uniform" of
blue collar workers all over West Florida.
If the robber walked out the back door I am
sure he did not use the intersection to escape.
He probably escaped by driving down Livingston
Rd.,500 yds.due East of the bank, to the U.S.F.
area of No. Tampa commonly called Krack/Suitcase
City 10 miles to the South.
Guns drawn is reckless disregard and endangerment.

Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Kamerad, your papers in order are not...Please to follow with us to the station of police...
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#6]
[size=3]WHERE IS THE PROBABLE CAUSE?

A white guy walks out the back of a bank.

How do we even know he used a car?  Why not shove a gun into the face of every bicyclist? Or pedestrian?  Or skateboarder?

And some of you ask what the problem is.  WAKE UP.  You can't harass and run the risk of killing innocent civilians on something as vague as "a white male robbed the bank"

Herr Gestapho are alive and well in Amerika.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top