Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/7/2009 11:29:22 AM EDT

Marines from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, 1st Battalion, 5th Marines arrive at a compound to sleep for the night in a town in the Nawa district of Afghanistan's Helmand province on July 6.
DAVID GUTTENFELDER / THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Echo Company Marines from the 2nd Marine Expeditionary Brigade, RCT 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines patrol through a village on July 6 in Mian Poshteh, Afghanistan. The Marines are part of Operation Khanjari, which was launched to combat Taliban fighters using areas in the southern Helmand province as resupply routes, and to help the local Afghan population prepare for the upcoming presidential elections.
JOE RAEDLE / GETTY IMAGES

US Marines patrol Garmsir district in Afghanistan's Helmand province on July 5. The Taliban say they have launched a guerrilla operation to counter a major assault by US Marines on their stronghold in Helmand province. (AFP/Manpreet Romana)

Medics attached to the U.S. Marines from the 2nd MEB, 1st Battalion 5th Marines prepare to carry a Marine, who was overcome by heat exhaustion, to a medical evacuation helicopter in the Nawa district of Afghanistan's Helmand province Monday July 6, 2009.
(AP Photo/David Guttenfelder)

US Marines of 2nd Battalion 8 Marines take position on their way to the site of a blast in Garmsir district of Helmand Province in Afghanistan. Seven ISAF soldiers were killed in insurgent attacks in Afghanistan Monday as the Taliban announced it would resist a US Marine assault on its strongholds with a guerrilla campaign.
(AFP/Manpreet Romana)

U.S. soldiers of 2nd Platoon from the 3rd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division patrol, in the village of Sangarkhel in mountains of Wardak Province, Afghanistan, July 7, 2009.
REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov

A U. S. soldier from 2nd Platoon of the 3rd Brigade, 10th Mountain Division, aims his rifle during a road clearance patrol in the mountains of Wardak Province July 4, 2009.
REUTERS/Shamil

A U.S. soldier takes an observation position next to a graveyard in the village of Sangarkhel in the mountains of Wardak Province, Afghanistan, July 6, 2009.
REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov

In this Thursday July 2, 2009 photo British soldiers with the International Security Assistance Force patrol in the Nad Alid district of Helmand province, south of Kabul, Afghanistan. Around 8,500 Britain soldiers, part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, are serving in Afghanistan.
(AP Photo/Abdul Khaleq)

In this photo taken on Monday July 6, 2009 British soldiers with the International Security Assistance Force patrol in the Nad Alid district of Helmand province, south of Kabul, Afghanistan. Around 8,500 British soldiers, part of the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force, are currently serving in Afghanistan.
(AP Photo/Abdul Khaleq)

A French soldier of the NATO-led coalition secures an area around a temporary check point on a road in the mountains of Wardak province in Afghanistan July 7, 2009.
REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov

French soldiers of the NATO-led coalition secure area around temporary check point on a road in mountains of Wardak province in Afghanistan July 7, 2009.
REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov

Hungarian military advisers Sfc. Imre Szekely, left, and Wo. Istvan Belecz, second left in background, train the members of the Afghan National Army in Camp Kelagay, 210 kms 130 miles north of Kabul Afghanistan, Saturday, July 4, 2009. At Camp Kelagay, members of the Ohio National Guard and the Hungarian Army work together training the Afghan National Army.
(AP Photo/Bela Szandelszky)

Soldiers of the Hungarian Army secure a road near Tangi Murch, Baghlan province of central Afghanistan, Monday, July 6, 2009. The Hungarian Army is stationed in Pul-e-Khumri, the capitol of the province where they lead the Provincial Reconstruction Team.

A squad of ISAF soldiers of the Hungarian Army checks the mountains for pro-Taliban fighters near Pul-e-Khumri, in the Baghlan province of Afghanistan, Tuesday, July 7, 2009. The Hungarian Army forces are stationed in Pul-e-Khumri, the capital of the province where they lead the Provincial Reconstruction Team.

An Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier frisks pedestrians on a temporary check point on a road in the mountains of Wardak province, Afghanistan, July 7, 2009.
REUTERS/Shamil Zhumatov

An Afghan National Army (ANA) soldier stands guard at the site of a suicide attack near the main gate to a NATO military base in Kandahar province. Seven ISAF soldiers were killed in insurgent attacks in Afghanistan Monday as the Taliban announced it would resist a US Marine assault on its strongholds with a guerrilla campaign.
(AFP/Hamed Zalmy)

Iraqi policemen take up a position as a boy looks on, while patrolling a road during a search operation in Baghdad July 7, 2009.
REUTERS/Bassim Shati

A Palestinian boy looks at a militant from al-Ahrar movement during a rally in Gaza City July 7, 2009, marking the second anniversary of its foundation.
REUTERS/Suhaib Salem

Palestinian militants from al-Ahrar movement take part in a rally in Gaza City July 7, 2009, marking the second anniversary of its foundation.
REUTERS/Suhaib Salem

A Comoran paramilitary officer stands guard during a prayer session for passengers in the missing Yemenia A310-300 aircraft and to mark the country's 34th independence anniversary in Moroni July 6, 2009. French investigators said on Sunday they had detected the signal from the flight recorders from the Yemeni jet that crashed last week with more than 150 people on board.
REUTERS/Thomas Mukoya

Hard-line islamist fighters exchange gun fire with government forces in Mogadishu on July 3. The UN refugee agency said that some 204,000 people have fled fighting between government forces and hardline militia in Somalia's Mogadishu over the past eight weeks, marking the biggest exodus of the local population since 2007.
(AFP/File/Mohamed Dahir)

A hard-line Islamist fighter aims a heavy machine-gun towards government forces in Mogadishu on July 3. A Somali radio journalist has been shot dead in the country's war-wracked capital, the sixth to be killed in the lawless country since January, Reporters Without Borders said Sunday.
(AFP/File/Mohamed Dahir)

Armed Chinese soldiers patrol the streets of Urumqi in China's Xinjiang Autonomous Region July 6, 2009. At least 140 people have been killed in rioting in China's northwestern region of Xinjiang, with the government blaming exiled separatists for the Muslim area's worst case of unrest in years. Hundreds of rioters have been arrested, the official Xinhua news agency reported, after rock-throwing Uighur people took to the streets of the regional capital on Sunday, some burning and smashing vehicles and confronting ranks of anti-riot police.
REUTERS/David Gray

Chinese paramilitary police stand guard outside a market which was closed following riots in Urumqi, western China's Xinjiang province, Monday, July 6, 2009.
(AP Photo/Ng Han Guan)

In this image made from video, troops fire tear gas in Urumqi, China, the capital of western China's Muslim region during the deadliest ethnic violence in decades on Sunday, July 5, 2009.
(AP Photo/APTN)

Armed Chinese policemen march towards a group of local women during a confrontation along a street in the city of Urumqi, in China's Xinjiang Autonomous Region July 7, 2009. Hundreds of Uighurs protesting against the arrest of relatives clashed with police in the capital of China's Muslim region of Xinjiang on Tuesday two days after ethnic unrest left 156 dead and 1,080 wounded.
REUTERS/David Gray

Armed Chinese policemen march towards a group of local women during a confrontation along a street in the city of Urumqi, in China's Xinjiang Autonomous Region July 7, 2009. Hundreds of Uighurs protesting against the arrest of relatives clashed with police in the capital of China's Muslim region of Xinjiang on Tuesday two days after ethnic unrest left 156 dead and 1,080 wounded.
REUTERS/David Gray

Indonesian polices line up during a security drill in preparation for the upcoming presidential election in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, Tuesday, July 7, 2009. Indonesia is gearing up to hold their second direct presidential election on July 8. (AP Photo/Firdia Lisnawati)

Separatist rebels from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) patrol Maguindanao province in the strife-torn southern Philippines. Foreign Islamic militants may have had a link to a bombing outside a church in the southern Philippines that killed five people and injured dozens, a military spokesman said.
(AFP/File/Mark Navales)

French armed police officers guards the police station of Bayonne, southwestern France, Sunday, July, 5, 2009.Three suspected members of the outlawed Basque separatist group ETA, Asier Borrero, Itziar Plaza and Iurgi Garitagoitia were detained on Saturday in Bayonne awaiting their probable transfer to Paris, police said.
(AP Photo/Bob Edme)

Carabinieri (Italian paramilitary police) officers patrol on the roof of the venue at the G8 summit site in L'Aquila, Italy, Tuesday, July 7, 2009. Leaders of the Group of Eight will push for common positions on promoting democracy in Iran, combatting climate change and coordinating their exits from huge government stimulus measures - even amid a growing sense that the group's pre-eminence may be fading.
(AP Photo/ Alessandra Tarantino)

Peruvian soldiers patrol downtown Lima prior to a national strike July 7, 2009. Peru's President Alan Garcia said on Tuesday he will reshuffle his cabinet this weekend as opposition parties demand changes following deadly clashes last month between police and indigenous groups.Garcia and his cabinet have been heavily criticized for botching negotiations with protesters who were demanding the government strike down laws designed to open their ancestral lands to foreign mining and oil companies.
REUTERS/Mariana Bazo

Soldiers climb a military vehicle near Los Horcones, a family ranch of ousted Honduras' President Manuel Zelaya, Lepaguara, Honduras, Tuesday, July 6, 2009. Leparguare, corn-growing region in the eastern province of Olancho, and hometown of ousted President Manuel Zelaya, mirrors the country's complicated world view.
(AP Photo/Rodrigo Abd)

U.N. peacekeepers from Jordan stand guard at the border between Haiti and Dominican Republic at the zone know as Jimani July 5, 2009. Helped by 9,000 U.N. peacekeepers, Haiti appears to be on a slow recovery from its troubled past of dictatorship and political violence. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton, who has been appointed special U.N. envoy to the country, has declared this is Haiti's turning point. Clinton is expected to visit the country as a new U.N. envoy to Haiti from July 6 to 8.
REUTERS/ Eduardo Munoz

A Tijuana's police officer stands guard at the site where a fellow police officer was injured during a shooting in Tijuana, Mexico, Monday, July 6, 2009. Two police officers were killed and one injured during attacks against police departments of Tijuana and Rosarito late Monday, officials said.
(AP Photo/Guillermo Arias)

Police officers work at the crime scene where Tijuana's police officer Gilberto Jimenez was killed during a shooting in Tijuana, Mexico, Monday, July 6, 2009. Two police officers were killed and one injured during attacks against police departments of Tijuana and Rosarito, officials said.
(AP Photo/Guillermo Arias)
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow, you are truly a great man for posting pictures such as these, Lumpy. Keep up the good work.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:33:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Nice.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#3]
thank you!
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:40:24 AM EDT
[#4]
good job as always...
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:41:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I didn't know the british used any M16 variants presently.  It looks like one of them has a 10.5" barrel carbine.

ETA: Pic number 9
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:41:30 AM EDT
[#6]
sweet FAMAS
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I didn't know the british used any M16 variants presently.  It looks like one of them has a 10.5" barrel carbine.

I claim no specific knowledge, but from what Ive seen you usually see them with SAS/SBS.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:44:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Ubertactical BSA red dot?
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:44:29 AM EDT
[#9]
A ton o pics! Thanks.

A Jordanian soldier in the Carribean with a pig, thats all sorts of messed up.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Did you see the dude in the second picture with the removable carry handle mounted on his side rail................
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:51:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Did you see the dude in the second picture with the removable carry handle mounted on his side rail................

hahah wow just noticed that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:52:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Always the sign of a prepared soldier.  Pretty good idea if something goes wrong with the ACOG.  Always on the rifle so if you need it you don't have to start rummaging around in pouches and the bottom of your ruck.  Quick detach your broken optic and throw it to your dump pouch or whatever, move the carry handle to the reciever, and continue the fight.  Takes about 20 seconds or so, your buddies can cover you for that long.

Anyne have the pic of the guy in Iraq whose ACOG took a 7.62x39 round?  I can't find it on google for some reason.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:52:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lotta guys do that.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:53:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090706/capt.photo_1246766269389-1-0.jpg
Separatist rebels from the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) patrol Maguindanao province in the strife-torn southern Philippines. Foreign Islamic militants may have had a link to a bombing outside a church in the southern Philippines that killed five people and injured dozens, a military spokesman said.
(AFP/File/Mark Navales)

Those MILF's are at it again!
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:53:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lotta guys do that.

Why?
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:54:16 AM EDT
[#16]
always like these threads.thanks again
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#17]
AFP referred to the PKM that the Somali is holding as a "heavy machine gun".
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lotta guys do that.

Why?

See my post a couple of spots above yours.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:56:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lotta guys do that.

Why?

If the ACOG breaks for whatever reason, he knows exactly where is backup site is in a hurry.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#20]
First couple pics show Marines with the full-length M-16's.  I though everyone switched over to the M4?
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:58:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Good place to stow it when not in use.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 11:59:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
First couple pics show Marines with the full-length M-16's.  I though everyone switched over to the M4?

I see Marines with the M16A4 frequently.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Marines are riflemen. 20" for better fragmentation at longer ranges.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Even the blurred-out Skinnie in the backdrop knows this is going to turn ugly once he pulls the trigger.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always the sign of a prepared soldier.  Pretty good idea if something goes wrong with the ACOG.  Always on the rifle so if you need it you don't have to start rummaging around in pouches and the bottom of your ruck.  Quick detach your broken optic and throw it to your dump pouch or whatever, move the carry handle to the reciever, and continue the fight.  Takes about 20 seconds or so, your buddies can cover you for that long.

Anyne have the pic of the guy in Iraq whose ACOG took a 7.62x39 round?  I can't find it on google for some reason.

..... Or you could just get a flip-up BUIS.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Cool photos!!!!! Thanks for posting them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Looks like we're dumping Bill Clinton in Haiti.

I don't know who to feel sorry for, Bill or the Haitians.  I do know there will be plenty of Haitian wimmins available as a suitable "typing pool."
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is that Marines generally can only use what they're issued. I'm not a Marine, correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:06:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090706/capt.photo_1246810167342-1-0.jpg

Even the blurred-out Skinnie in the backdrop knows this is going to turn ugly once he pulls the trigger.

Yep, dipshit has the PKM shouldered like a bazooka, and it's not going to end well. I'm giving two to one that the barrel handle breaks his orbital bone.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#30]
FAL's, a G3 w/scope and a 1911 !!

Too cool.

Nice job as always,

EMSflyer
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Always the sign of a prepared soldier. Pretty good idea if something goes wrong with the ACOG. Always on the rifle so if you need it you don't have to start rummaging around in pouches and the bottom of your ruck. Quick detach your broken optic and throw it to your dump pouch or whatever, move the carry handle to the reciever, and continue the fight. Takes about 20 seconds or so, your buddies can cover you for that long.

Anyne have the pic of the guy in Iraq whose ACOG took a 7.62x39 round? I can't find it on google for some reason.

My understanding is that Marines generally can only use what they're issued. I'm not a Marine, correct me if I'm wrong.

This. I was not allowed to put flip ups on my M16. Mounting the carry handle on the side rail is pretty common
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:22:40 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/afp/20090706/capt.photo_1246810167342-1-0.jpg

Yep, he has a definite "Watch this!" grin on his face! ROFL!
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks again Lumpy!
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Gratias Lump.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Good job!
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 12:58:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:01:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the pics!
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed too.  That's cool.

Nice pictures.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#39]

What version is this rifle and who uses it? I've got it's semi-auto brother in my safe.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#40]

Bitch stole my GI canteen!

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Great post Lumpy. Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 1:42:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090704/capt.a3f858b40be4494786590b5921fecaf2.afghanistan_hmd101.jpg

What version is this rifle and who uses it? I've got it's semi-auto brother in my safe.

Odds are highly likely is Colt Canada (formerly Diemaco) CQB.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#43]
hk's and fal's

looks good to me
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:24:23 PM EDT
[#44]
Nice pics, Lumpy.
Looks like a 1911 the Mexican officer is carrying. I'd bet dollars to donuts it's .38 Super. They like that caliber down there.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:25:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:27:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Hey you know what?  That's an odd place to put a carry handle.  Hmmm.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#47]
A couple of posts up explains it quite well.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#48]

I just noticed the placement of that carry handle.  How odd.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:33:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Nice to see the HUNS helping out, Thanks for sharing once again
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/rids/20090707/i/r1198279175.jpg

Bitch stole my GI canteen!

First thing I thought. I spend too much time here.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top