Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/30/2009 6:00:54 PM EDT
So I want to make some ribs for the Fourth.  Problem is I only have the VAGUEST idea of where to start.  How do I do 'em?  I know the mantra of "low and slow" but what's the actual  temp and times?

I have a pretty decent grill to work with (Weber Gold 3-burner), we were thinking starting with a dry rub and doing a sauce as they finish.  What's my best best bet for making them great?
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#1]
225-250 for about 5 hours with hardwood coals. Salt and pepper, maybe a little Tony Chachere's .  I like them like that and sometimes I'll paint some Sweet Baby Rays on them that I doctored up with cane syrup, cayenne, garlic powder and a dab of yellow mustard.

eta put the sauce on them after they are done and let it "candy". Don't try to cook then with the sauce on them.  They will turn black before they are done.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#2]
the number one rule for cooking ribs is don't let them dry out
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Remove the silverskin from the bone side.
Coat meat side with yellow mustard.
Sprinkle both sides and edges with Bad Byron's Butt Rub.
225 degrees for ~4 hours, until ribs fold easily when lifted and meat pulls back about 1/2" from the bone.
Remove from grill and coat with sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is pretty good if you don't want to make your own).
Back on the grill with direct heat to set and glaze the sauce.
Eat.

I've got a BGE and use BGE brand lump charcoal with 3-4 chunks of hickory (about the size of a fist).  Let the grill get up to temperature and make sure there is blue smoke (instead of white/gray) before adding the meat.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried something new this past weekend with a Romertopf (clay cooking container).

I put some whole onions and potatoes on the bottom and layered some country style ribs on top. Covered and cooked them in the oven at 220 for 4 hours and finished on a low, smokey grill outside for 20 minutes. The grill was at 230*. I need to choke it back a little as well. Still a little over done. Next time I'll cook the veggies for a couple of hours at 250, reduce to 200 and do the ribs for 3 hours, finish outside.

Pork is done at 160 degrees. You really need to take it off at 150-155 and let it rise while it's resting. The slower you bring it there the more juice it retains.

ETA: +1 on the lump charcoal. If I'm doing a Boston butt I use hickory chunks. For the ribs, since they weren't going to be on long I used wet hickory chips.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Pork is done at 160 degrees.

Not necessarily.  I pull loins off at 140, and butts off at 195.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Boil them before putting on the grill..

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pork is done at 160 degrees.

Not necessarily.  I pull loins off at 140, and butts off at 195.

Should have said "well done." I like mine to top out at 150 but the wife won't go that rare.

Is the 195 measured at the center of the butt? Outside has to be pretty well done!

My dad used to parboil his ribs before grilling them. It removed some of the fat. He grilled them to the char stage. I wasn't too impressed, but never turned them down.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Only commies boil ribs!

pull the sinew off of the bone side of the ribs
rub with wooster and then with some Texas BBQ Rub
2 hours at 225 -250 unfoiled
2 hours at the same foiled
1 hour at the same unfoiled

Done.

Oh, and that is courtesy of photokirk, not me.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Is the 195 measured at the center of the butt? Outside has to be pretty well done!

Yep, 195 in the center.  Cooking time is ~2 hours/pound at 215-225 and leaves you with a nice bark.

Here's the basic rub I use:
1/4 cup ground black pepper
1/4 cup paprika
1/4 cup Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons salt (sea or kosher, NOT table salt)
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

If need be I'll wrap it in foil and let it sit in a cooler with a couple of towels until eating time.  I pull either with a couple of forks or using my hands while wearing a pair of light cotton gloves under a pair of latex gloves.  I do an Eastern NC sauce (vinegar based, not tomato based) for the table.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I imagine I would be Yankee bashed unashamedly for posting about how I have cooked ribs with no smoker in an hour and a half that were excellent. Not as good as the smoker, but definitely great for the time spent cooking them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Smoke ribs at 225 to 250 for 3 hours. I marinade mine aleast 24 hours before I throw them on the smoke. Texas Pete's hot sauce, jalaeno juice, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Add BBQ sauce about an hour before pulling them off. I like a dry rub type of rib myself. Hickory, apple, and mesquite are good for smoking any kind of pork. Meat will fall right off the bone

ETA - Indirect heat for smoking is a must
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I use a smoker but you can do it on a gas grill too. Time is generally the same, sans smoke.

The basic method I use for baby back ribs is 3-2-1 or 2-2-1 depending on whether you want them falling-off-the-bone or not: 3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil, 1 hour finishing outside of foil (to dry out a bit).

As mentioned previously, temp should be 225-250 max. I have a Weber also and it is a little hard to get that low on mine. You want to off-set cook regardless and adjust time accordingly (probably one burner max).

Remove the membrane from the back side. Apply your dry rub of choice - both sides. Cover in plastic-wrap and refrigerate overnight.

I make my own moppin' sauce out of chicken broth, brown sugar and a little vinegar, applied approximately every 30 min during the first 2-3 hours.

I'm not a fan of cooking with BBQ sauce, so you'll have to figure that out if you are.

Enjoy
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:25:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

No Way!  That ruins them!

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#15]
225-250 in the smoker with hickory.  last hour i put in a pan of water.

i slather a thin layer of yellow mustard on the rubs then  use what ever rub i feel like makin.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I'd demand your mancard, but with an answer like that, it's doubtful you had one to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:33:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Go away.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#18]
My dad has a great method.

1. Rub down the ribs with salt & pepper (or dillo dust if you are an ARFCOMer)
2 .Throw them on the grill to just cook the outside of the meat
3. Place the ribs on a metal pan with a a grill suspending the meat
4. Pour water in until 1/4"-1/2" deep
5. Pour in 1/2 bottle of liquid smoke
  (Baste the ribs with a little liquid smoke if desired)
6. Cover with tin foil
7. Put in oven all day at 250-300 degrees (you could probably do 350 for a shorter time)
8. ???????
9. Profit

When you take them out, the meat will be so tender it will fall off the bone.

I highly recommend Sweet Baby Ray's Honey Barbecue Sauce
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:37:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go away.

photokirk,

Just noticed your sig line.  Was that guy a retard or what?
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:39:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I remove the membrane from the backside.

Them I mix mustard and Chipolte Tabasco sauce and brush that mixture on. The I use various rubs including Texas rub and a steak seasoning that I like.

I try to keep the heat at or below 225. I smoke them for about 3 hours and then pull them off and wrap them.

Put them back on for 2 hours and then pull them off and unwrap and cook until I can pull a bone out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#21]
mmmm ribs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go away.

photokirk,

Just noticed your sig line.  Was that guy a retard or what?

He went full retard.  I haven't seen him post in a while, maybe the syphilis finally wiped him put.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
We need pics:

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:46:22 PM EDT
[#24]
I boil them. Then I let them cool over night in the fridge. The rub is applied before they go on the grill. Scoff at boiling all you want. You will not believe how tasty and fall off the bone tender they come out.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I boil them. Then I let them cool over night in the fridge. The rub is applied before they go on the grill. Scoff at boiling all you want. You will not believe how tasty and fall off the bone tender they come out.

Makes them taste like roast, not smoked ribs.

YMMV

Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What part of the world are you in?  Care to have a cook-off and put your money where your mouth is?
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Tender - maybe

Tasty - not in the same league

No boiled meat can ever compare to smoked.  Boiling takes all the natural flavors out of the meat.  Smoke enhances them.
Link Posted: 6/30/2009 8:15:18 PM EDT
[#28]

I've just started smoking ribs.  A couple of months ago my brother gave me one like above that some one left at one of his rental properties.  It was never used, but left outside in the rain and the element didn't work.  I fill the bottom with coals and let it go for about 6 hours with ribs and a pork loin.  Nothing special just salt and pepper and it was really good.  You don't need much in wood chips.  Just a little for the fist two hours.  Some people will wrap them in foil after two hours or so.  That's not a bad way either.  Kind of keeps the meat from drying out to much.  Read what everyone else does and just get started.  You'll learn quickly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 1:24:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
the number one rule for cooking ribs is don't let them dry out

How is this done?  Spray them occasionally with something (water?) as they cook?

On a gas grill, are ribs cooked on the open grill (cover shut of course) or do you do them in foil or something?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 1:26:16 PM EDT
[#30]
If you don't have a smoker, wrap em in foil, start em in the oven, finish them on the grill.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#31]
A couple of weeks ago I made some babyback pork ribs using the following method and they turned out great (according to my GF).
Not really a true slow smoke recipe but it did turn out quite well.

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/246/Barbecue-Pork-Ribs-Baby-Back-or-Spare
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#32]
195* WTF?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 5:36:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
195* WTF?

So which teacher do you blame for your lack of reading comprehension?
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 5:43:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Memphis Style:

Dry rub, wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge over night.

4 hours+ @ 180*F with heavy Hickory smoke.

Wrap in foil, add a little apple juice, finish on grill at medium heat.

Had a slab for lunch at Central BBQ in Memphis.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#35]
In a Crockpot full of Baby Ray's BBQ sauce

Needless to say I prefer to get ribs from people that know what they're doing but none close are open on Sundays

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:01:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Memphis Style:

Dry rub, wrap in saran wrap and put in fridge over night.

4 hours+ @ 180*F with heavy Hickory smoke.

Wrap in foil, add a little apple juice, finish on grill at medium heat.

Had a slab for lunch at Central BBQ in Memphis.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Cpt_Kirks/IMAG0003-ribs-070508.jpg

Nice work Cpt_kirks!  Not just a great arfcom dinner pic setup, but looks delicious too.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:24:15 PM EDT
[#37]
3 slabs of baby back ribs
remove silverskin from back side
spritz with white vinegar
rub generously with dry rub both sides
wrap in saran wrap over night

place in roasting pan with rack to keep off bottom
cover pan tightly with tin foil

250-275 oven for 2-3 hours
they'll be falling off the bone

slap 'em on a grill for a half hour with Sweet Baby Ray's
watch the sauce doesn't burn

dry rub
1 tbsp black pepper
1 tbsp cayenne
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp cumin
2 tbsp chili powder
4 tbsp paprika
red pepper flakes to taste
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#38]

A1 sauce FTW!

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm going with ribs too. My question is, should I go the standard route and use baby backs or should I get the spare ribs? I love the baby backs, but I'm thinking maybe more meat would be better...
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Boil?? This type of action will cause a BAN.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:10:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 7:24:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Rib boilers put beans in chili and ketchup on hot dogs and drink frozen margaritas.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This! If you want to know how the Southerners in Kentucky do it, here it is.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Like many have said,

Pull the skin off the bone side.

I get mine to room temp while coating them with KC Masterpeice Steakhouse mainade (more on that one later)

I use the Big Green Egg, it was given to me and I always thought they were a gimick, but after using charcoal metal vertical smokers with water, the sidebox heavy pipe smokers, and gas grills I will never go back.

I get the coals hot with lots of my own homemake mesquite chips (I have tractor operated woodchipper) place in layers.

Close the dampers and get it down to 200*

Smoke for three hours maybe less and enjoy.

I have used many sauces and coatings for my ribs and even did a test run with friends over.  With all the high dollar sauces from some local companies here in Texas, everyone kept grabbing the Steakhouse ribs.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ban.
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#46]
Ricks Real Pit BBQ Rub and recipes/instructions.

Link Posted: 7/1/2009 10:49:18 PM EDT
[#47]
My FIL made one out of one of these.

Makes the best ribs/bbq I've ever had.  He actually smokes them and sells them at his restaurant with good results
Link Posted: 7/1/2009 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been boiling mine in beer for years....starting to feel a little shrinkage after reading these responses.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ban.

kiss off! that's how dad did it and it work's for me. i like the idea of parboiling, then putting them back in the fridge over night.hmmm? maybe a dry rub before sticking back in the fridge to marinate overnight.gotta think on that one.
Link Posted: 7/2/2009 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#50]
Some of y'all got some fucked up ideas on what ribs is. Goddamn.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top