Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 6/11/2009 10:59:10 AM EDT
Wonder what the story is behind this??

http://www.japantoday.com/category/crime/view/2-japanese-carrying-134-bil-worth-of-us-bonds-detained-in-italy

Thursday 11th June, 06:18 AM JST

ROME —

Two Japanese nationals were detained by Italian financial police last week after trying to enter Switzerland with $134 billion worth of undeclared U.S. bonds, mostly Treasury bonds, an Italian daily said Wednesday. The Japanese consulate general in Milan confirmed that the detention had taken place and said it was trying to confirm with Italian authorities whether the two were indeed Japanese nationals and their identities.

According to the report in il Giornale, two unidentified Japanese in their 50s concealed the bonds, including 249 U.S. Treasury bonds each worth $500 million, in a suitcase with a false bottom that was searched by the Italian authorities June 3 when they were in Chiasso, at the border with Switzerland, about 50 kilometers north of Milan. The daily did not say on what charges they have been detained, but the two may have been detained on suspicion of attempting to take a large amount of securities out of Italy without declaring it because the paper said they had not declared the bonds.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a hell of a lot of money!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#2]
That's nothing, I think I've got $200.00 in my wallet right now!

Oh wait, was that 134 BILLION?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, this should be widely reported in the US press, but probably won't be.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:03:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Hmm...

I'l bet there are going to be some really pissed off people over this.. Hate to be one of the delivery mules.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, considering 2/3 of the Italian economy is off the books, this isn't too surprising. What were the Japanese doing in Italy?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:05:53 AM EDT
[#6]
HEAT keke ^_^

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
That is a staggering amount of money.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, considering 2/3 of the Italian economy is off the books, this isn't too surprising. What were the Japanese doing in Italy?

Per the article:
they were in Chiasso, at the border with Switzerland

So trying to enter Switzerland.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Wait, billion with a "b"?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Yakuza?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Were I to guess, I would assume that they were old, trusted bank hands and Todai men being asked to dump the bearer bonds quietly.  They are probably sitting and waiting and not saying much.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What were the Japanese doing in Italy?

Roman around.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yakuza?

They don't have that kind of money anymore.  Bankers, trying to dump it all quietly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:10:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Not  a tag

HH
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roman around.

BA-dun-skhinnn.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:10:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Damn!  That is a lot of money.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:11:15 AM EDT
[#17]
once again I will ask................what gun was used in the movie "Heat"???

ooops...........wrong thread..............

Slug-O
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#18]
I KNEW he wasn't dead!

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:11:49 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm willing to bet it has something to do with this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123828522318566241.html

* MARCH 30, 2009

Treasury Has $134.5 Billion Left in TARP
WASHINGTON –– The Treasury Department said it has about $134.5 billion left in its financial-rescue fund, giving the Obama administration a cushion as it implements expensive programs aimed at unlocking credit markets and boosting ailing industries.
The figure means that about 81% of the $700 billion in the Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, has been committed. It also means that the Obama administration may not have to go to Congress to request additional funds, at least until well into the year. Many lawmakers who criticized the administration's bank-rescue efforts have vowed to oppose any requests for more money for the fund.
The Treasury had until now declined to give an up-to-date tally of how much remained in the fund, but some outside estimates had put the figure at about $50 billion. The government has provided few specifics on how it is spending the TARP money since the Obama administration announced a slew of new, multibillion-dollar programs to help stem foreclosures, unlock tight credit markets, revive consumer and business lending, and rescue domestic auto makers.
Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said Sunday that the projection of how much is left in TARP funds represents "a very conservative judgment about how much money is likely to come back from banks that are strong enough not to need this capital now to get through a recession." Several banks in recent weeks have announced plans to pay back the bailout funds they received.
In its estimate, the Treasury projects that it will receive about $25 billion back from banks that have participated in TARP. Factoring in those so-called paybacks, the Treasury estimates that its commitments for rescue programs so far total $565.5 billion.
Speaking on ABC's "This Week," Mr. Geithner said the amount remaining in the fund "gives us –– and this is very important –– substantial resources to move ahead with this broad-based suite of initiatives to help get the financial system back in the business of providing credit."
Some outside analysts described the Treasury estimates as "squishy" and suggested the numbers could be overly optimistic. Virginia-based banking consultant Bert Ely agreed that while the Treasury's $25 billion estimate for repayments is conservative, "the timing of the paybacks is in the air" amid questions over the procedure for repaying funds and any needed approvals. "Maybe eventually they'll have $135 billion, but they don't have it now," he said.
In addition, Mr. Ely said, he expects the Treasury to soon open up TARP funds to credit unions, insurance companies and other financial firms.
Mr. Geithner declined to say whether the administration thinks it would need additional TARP money from Congress. The administration has a number of potential obligations that will need to come from the fund's remaining money, including an expected request from General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC for as much as $22 billion in new loans.
Proving just how controversial the bailout has become, Capitol Hill Democrats last week decided against including a $250 billion placeholder in their budget that the Obama administration had included in its plan to warn of the potential need for a larger bailout.
There are several reasons for the difference between the Treasury's and outside estimates of how much TARP funds remain.
For example, the Treasury's projections don't include all of the $250 billion for a program launched last year to inject taxpayer funds into banks. The Treasury projects that program at $218 billion. A Treasury official said Saturday that while the program could cost as much as $250 billion, the $218 billion number is a more-accurate estimate given that a key application deadline for the program has passed.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yakuza?

They must be involved with the secret kung fu ninja cult responsible for david carridenes death.  the plot thickens...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, considering they were trying to get into every criminal's favorite banking spot...

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:15:16 AM EDT
[#22]
If they were crooks, it would have been quite comical to see them try to bribe the guards.

"How abouttu, you ret us go,  I buy you and youru furendu, seven manSHON HOUSE, seven LAMBOGIIINI CAA, SEVEN FAARAARIIIII KAAA, ONE FOTUNU FAIVE HANDUREDU KOMPANII!! THREE AIRANDU! thirty five RUSSIAN WAIFU!... ii desu ka? "
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:16:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I really doubt this story.  In fact, I have significant doubts that the Treasury even PRINTS t-bills or bonds anymore.

To have that much in physical notes is simply too absurd of a number to be believable.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:17:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Norks?

Kim Jong Il's rainy day fund, perhaps?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yakuza?

They don't have that kind of money anymore.  Bankers, trying to dump it all quietly.

+1

It'll be extremely interesting if the Secret Service find out these are real and not counterfeit.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:18:29 AM EDT
[#26]
From the Market Ticker

http://market-ticker.denninger.net/archives/1114-Smuggling-Or-Counterfeit-Printing.html

Smuggling or Counterfeit-Printing?

Ok, this was rumored several days ago, but now I can find actual news reports - at least, outside the US:

Milan (AsiaNews) –  Italy’s financial police (Guardia italiana di Finanza) has seized US bonds worth US 134.5 billion from two Japanese nationals at Chiasso (40 km from Milan) on the border between Italy and Switzerland. They include 249 US Federal Reserve bonds worth US$ 500 million each, plus ten Kennedy bonds and other US government securities worth a billion dollar each.

Those sound like Bearer Bonds - at least the Kennedy ones do.  

We no longer issue those (nor does pretty much anyone else) for obvious reasons - they're essentially money and can be had in VERY large size, making them great vehicles for various illegal enterprises.

But folks: This is $134.5 billion dollars worth.

If they're real, what government (the only entity that would have such a cache) is trying to unload them?

If they're fake, this is arguably the biggest counterfeiting operation ever, by a factor of many times.  I've seen news about various counterfeiting operations over the years that have made me chuckle, but this one, if that's what it is, is absolutely jaw-dropping.

The cute part of this is that if the certificates are real Italy just got a hell of a bonanza - their money laundering laws provide for a statutory 40% penalty for failure to declare instruments and cash in excess of $10,000 Euros, which means they'd garner a close-to-$40 billion dollar windfall.

That ought to help their budget problems!

Notice, by the way, that the US Media has totally ignored this story - even though the securities in question are allegedly US instruments.

Gee, I wonder why?  Might the authorities know they're real and be just a wee bit nervous that disclosure of a sovereign attempting to covertly dump nearly $140 billion in debt could cause a wee bit of panic, given that we're running nearly $200 billion a month in deficits?

Inquiring minds want to know what's really going on here.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:20:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:21:12 AM EDT
[#29]
I find it hard to imagine a criminal organization with $134 billion on hand.  That's James Bond, retracting volcano missile base territory.  Maybe it is a government or major bank trying to dump bonds on the sly, I don't know.  More likely the report is BS, but if it's not it's all kinds of interesting.

ETA: OK, pics of the bonds are up, I guess the report is legit.  Next question is counterfeit or not.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#30]
cue the LOL WUT? pic.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:24:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Damn.

That is all I really have to say. My expression is priceless though
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:25:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
From the Market Ticker

Gee, I wonder why?  Might the authorities know they're real and be just a wee bit nervous that disclosure of a sovereign attempting to covertly dump nearly $140 billion in debt could cause a wee bit of panic, given that we're running nearly $200 billion a month in deficits?

And that folks is a great point.  Most everyone likes to point to China as the largest purchaser of our national debt but also forget that Japan holds a very sizable sum.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Seeing as how it's Italy it was probably 250 Billion originally....by the time it got turned in it was down to 134 and change!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roman around.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#36]
hmm, interesting
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#37]
Almost certainly counterfeit.

Here are the bonds seized from the Japanese citizens in Italy:

Here are some fake bonds seized in the Philippines in 2001:

Here are some fake bonds seized in San Diego in 2004:

These things are like candy in parts of Asia.  Probably the two Japanese gentleman got conned, and are patsies for someone else.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:33:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Are they still allied with them?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#39]
  Counterfeits maybe?  

You know if I'm an Italian border guard and they offer me just  one of those $500 Tbills, I'm not sure I could pass that up.  I might even offer them a ride to the bank of their choice.

Edited because I can't spell
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:37:33 AM EDT
[#40]

Just like in Zimbabwe, you need an expiration date on this bad boy...
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Most interesting article i've read in a month.
A couple of points.......
#1 if these are legitimate it is obviously a country behind it and not some Yakuza or some shit, if that is true then why use such an ametuerish operation? Fly the shit in a remote controlled spy plane or something.
#2 if counterfeit why try to smuggle it into Switzerland? Since switerland is NOT and EU country the border controls are quite tight, why not take them to France or the UK where the border controls are Laxer within member EU states? It seems they were trying to get into Switzerland  purely for economic reasons which leads me to believe they are real, not fake.
#3 Why Japanese men? Would that not attract more attention in Europe than say a typical Euro businessman?

A LOT of unaswered questions and weird circumstances.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

#1 if these are legitimate it is obviously a country behind it and not some Yakuza or some shit, if that is true then why use such an ametuerish operation? Fly the shit in a remote controlled spy plane or something.

#2 if counterfeit why try to smuggle it into Switzerland? Since switerland is NOT and EU country the border controls are quite tight, why not take them to France or the UK where the border controls are Laxer within member EU states? It seems they were trying to get into Switzerland  purely for economic reasons which leads me to believe they are real, not fake.

#3 Why Japanese men? Would that not attract more attention in Europe than say a typical Euro businessman?

1. Or fly it in diplomatically, how many Ambassadors get stripped searched when entering a country?

2. Drop the fakes in a Swiss Account and let the shell game begin.

3. Yakuza?

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:46:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
#1 if these are legitimate it is obviously a country behind it and not some Yakuza or some shit, if that is true then why use such an ametuerish operation?

If it's legitimate it can go in a diplomatic pouch and you can tell the destination countries Customs Agents to FOAD.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

What would be wrong with diplomatic pouch?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:46:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Maybe the Japanese wanted to move some of them out of the country in case North Korea goes south?  That would seem reasonable, though I would imagine using less retarded methods would work just fine.  That aside, I toss my money into the "Fake" pot.  ETA:  Does the Japanese government even own U.S. notes publicly, or did they ditch them years ago to fund new concrete pouring projects in all their rivers?
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:49:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Probably got suspicious when one of them bought a coffee on the train and asked if they had change for a 500mil
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:55:41 AM EDT
[#47]
they where going to build a new Honda plant in Italy

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 11:58:11 AM EDT
[#48]
You cannot tell me that those are getting placed in a swiss bank without some kind of bank verification.
I can't even use a Twenty to buy a Coke at the EZ Mart without some skank yanking out a marker and checking the bill.

Surely they are legit, unless there is a conspiracy to counterfiet several Trillion Dollars worth and Cash them all out at once to collapse our Economy.

I bet Obama sent them to them... Part of the Bail out, probably to buy a stake in CHASE.

Oh wait they just answered that email I got the other day, someone would send me the Bonds and i could keep $134Billion of it in my Swiss Bank account if I just took the rest to Italy.

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:03:58 PM EDT
[#49]
At first I"m thinking counterfeit.  But $134 billion?  WTF?  That's kind of a large amount in counterfeit funds to try to pass off, don't you think?  What criminals in their right mind would have the balls or stupidity to try that?  A few million here, a few million there, maybe, but $134 BILLION?

I'm guessing they're real.

Something whack is going on here.  

ETA:  If they are real, someone out there is beyond pissed off.  That's not like losing a few Kilos of coke at the border.
That's a lot of hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Apparently the Italians haven't heard that those bonds aren't worth shit anymore.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top