Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2009 3:35:02 PM EDT
Sorry folks, nothing too extravagant or spectacular for pictures today, I was rather preoccupied with something besides the camera. Anyways, I'll share the ones I did take.

First stop was Desert of Maine, neat little tourist trap in Freeport.

It's actually the peak of the spring house that's ten feet under. It was about 20 feet tall I gather. One of the dunes is 90 feet I think.

Anyhow, next was Bradbury Mountain State Park , pretty cool, nice view from summit, very easy hike.

I thought this was cool, evidently, years ago when cattle strayed from their respective farms, someone used to rassle them up and charge a fee to the farmers to get them back. Ingenious.

A view from the top of Bradbury, I had temporarily forgotten about the camera by that point.

Then, lunch at Gritty McDuffs

And finally, on to Wolfes Neck State Park

This place was really, really nice. So was my company.   Damn mosquitoes very thick however, nice breeze to keep them at bay.

Lots of osprey action here, very cool. Mama was feedin' the babies, she wasn't real keen on me taking her picture I guess though, she kept flying directly between me and the sun.

Ahhh....

Check out this cute little bugger. Not a chupacabra.

Like I said, nothing as spectacular as some of the places I've taken you in the past, but thanks for tagging along.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Gritty's is good stuff! And so are the pics.

I don't feel bad for once because I've been to these places.

Glad things went well for ya.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:52:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Not a chupacabra, but definitely a possum.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gritty's is good stuff! And so are the pics.

I don't feel bad for once because I've been to these places.

Glad things went well for ya.

Thanks! Wolfes Neck SP was awesome, I can't believe I'd never been there. I had a suspicion you might have been to some of these spots before

Next stop may be Baileys/ Orrs Island... not sure.

I'm dying to get out to Isle Au Haut though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_au_Haut,_Maine

I was actually in Portland on Saturday, which is a rare occurence for me. I'm like a fish out of water in the city, but I think I'm going to be spending more time down that way this year.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:07:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice.  I miss Maine.  Used to live up in Searsport.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks! Wolfes Neck SP was awesome, I can't believe I'd never been there. I had a suspicion you might have been to some of these spots before

I'm dying to get out to Isle Au Haut though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_au_Haut,_Maine

I was actually in Portland on Saturday, which is a rare occurence for me. I'm like a fish out of water in the city, but I think I'm going to be spending more time down that way this year.

I'm an utter angel and have no idea what you may be implying.

I haven't been to Isle Au Haut since the folks took me as a kid. If I remember right it's ridiculously scenic.  
Portland's alright to visit but I'd sure hate to live there.

If you'll be there a bit more frequently though then be sure to check out the Comedy Connection some night. They can have some really good stuff. Makes a nice date.

Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Next stop may be Baileys/ Orrs Island... not sure..

We get up there for a weekend every Summer for a little informal family gathering and it's a great little spot … Some really interesting striated rock formation at either end of the island, catch the light just at the right time of day and can make for some very nice photography.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#7]
God how I miss home......but for now Kansas is where you will find me.....
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice pix as always SW ...........I havent been in Gritty's since way back when they first opened in the 80's. I like the Old Port , but not as much as my sis
You should spend a day just wandering around there bar hoppin . and the get dinner at Ri Ra's or Di Millo's.

I havent been to The Desert since I was in grade school. Do they still make a point to let you know you cant take any sand from there?

Quoted:
God how I miss home......but for now Kansas is where you will find me.....

That's almost opposite ends of the spectrum.........it must try your patience .
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#10]
what's with the dark shadow in the top corner?

and no pics of the "date"?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
how did the spring house get buried?
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Wind over the years blowing the sand around IIRC
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#13]
awesome pics
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 5:24:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been to Isle Au Haut since the folks took me as a kid. If I remember right it's ridiculously scenic.  

If you'll be there a bit more frequently though then be sure to check out the Comedy Connection some night. They can have some really good stuff. Makes a nice date.

That's what I'm thinking

I've heard about the comedy club. Right down behind Ri Ras, isn't it?
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:14:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
what's with the dark shadow in the top corner?

and no pics of the "date"?

Lens cover or whatever is F'd up on the camera, it doesn't always open all the way.

Here ya go.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 6:36:35 AM EDT
[#16]
I need to get to the Comedy Connection and see Bob Marley sometime
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I saw him last fall at the fair, what a riot, he was railing against non-natives. Wicked funny

eta- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJNZdGF3Rys
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:37:14 AM EDT
[#18]
LOL, Desert of Maine. Funny.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:48:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

yep. tourist trap.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 7:58:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Man do i miss Maine.
Was sationed in Brunswick for a couple years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:06:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw him last fall at the fair, what a riot, he was railing against non-natives. Wicked funny

eta- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJNZdGF3Rys

He fuckin kills me

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep. tourist trap.

A patch of glacial silt uncovered due to poor farming practices.. desert.

Fricking Maine.

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:10:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Man do i miss Maine.

I grew up in Brunswick.........we used to camp at Recompence Shores in Freeport................Not far from Brunswick so My DAd could work while the rest of the Family camped!!

Thanks for the pics...........a lot of my old stomping ground.............I got laid many a time, at the camp ground at Bradbury Mountian!!

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:11:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:23:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I really gotta get up that way. Thanks fer da pics.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I really gotta get up that way. Thanks fer da pics.

I've got a wicked itch to get up to the UP in Mi. I hear ya.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Man do i miss Maine.

I grew up in Brunswick.........we used to camp at Recompence Shores in Freeport................Not far from Brunswick so My DAd could work while the rest of the Family camped!!

Thanks for the pics...........a lot of my old stomping ground.............I got laid many a time, at the camp ground at Bradbury Mountian!!

upta camp is frikkin hilarious! so true!!
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 1:38:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been to Isle Au Haut since I was a kid either.  I've kayaked out to a lot of the other Islands since then though and loved them all.  I've mostly kayaked in Casco Bay, Penobscot Bay, the Deer Ilse area and a little near Acadia.  Usually try to get out to Monhegan once a year as well.(not by kayak)
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't been to Isle Au Haut since I was a kid either.  I've kayaked out to a lot of the other Islands since then though and loved them all.  I've mostly kayaked in Casco Bay, Penobscot Bay, the Deer Ilse area and a little near Acadia.  Usually try to get out to Monhegan once a year as well.(not by kayak)

I'm not sure if this is the only ferry service over there... I assume so.

http://www.isleauhaut.com/aboutisleauhaut.html

$17.50 each way, about what I expected.
http://www.isleauhaut.com/schedulerates.html

BTW, str8tshooter, I was only implying that I thought you were in Southern Maine
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 2:40:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

BTW, str8tshooter, I was only implying that I thought you were in Southern Maine

She isnt.........dont let her fool ya.

She lives outside of Brattleboro , VT in a hippie commune .

Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

She isnt.........dont let her fool ya.
She lives outside of Brattleboro , VT in a hippie commune .

Hippie commune...snort
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:11:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Southern Maine, damn I was expecting pics of York, Kittery, etc.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:57:26 PM EDT
[#33]

LMAO, so true!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#34]
bumpage
Link Posted: 6/3/2009 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Southern Maine, damn I was expecting pics of York, Kittery, etc.

I seldom stray south of Richmond, unless I'm passing through.

Thanks for all the kind words folks.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:20:11 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Keep getting stuck at The Old Goat in Richmond?
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 4:10:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep getting stuck at The Old Goat in Richmond?

Never been. Something about the bars in Richmond give me a bad vibe That town's too small to have more than one tavern.  

What's the other one,  3 crazy sisters, or someodd name?

I could have said Gardiner, but stretched it to Richmond. I'm weird.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#38]
ah....2 Crazy Ladies.... closed now, but that place surely brought out the finest Richmond had to offer.

You guys must be fairly local? Bowdoinham, here. Might see ya at the plinking spot on Alexander Reed Rd. someday

ETA: The "Desert" of Maine has an old wives tale to it. The story goes, that a man owned it, along with his 2nd wife. He made her promise to pass it onto his own son when the time was right. He died, and she gave the farm to her own son (from another marriage). Soon enough, sand started showing up, and it grew exponentially until all the land, and the farmhouse itself was engulfed. Karma? YMMV, Old Wive's Tale, blah blah blah.
Link Posted: 6/5/2009 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
ah....2 Crazy Ladies.... closed now, but that place surely brought out the finest Richmond had to offer. That's the one. Never been.

. You guys must be fairly local? Bowdoinham, here. Might see ya at the plinking spot on Alexander Reed Rd. someday. I'm all over the place, living 20 miles out of Augusta for now

ETA: The "Desert" of Maine has an old wives tale to it. The story goes, that a man owned it, along with his 2nd wife. He made her promise to pass it onto his own son when the time was right. He died, and she gave the farm to her own son (from another marriage). Soon enough, sand started showing up, and it grew exponentially until all the land, and the farmhouse itself was engulfed. Karma? YMMV, Old Wive's Tale, blah blah blah.

My understanding is the original farmer there, was growing mad potatoes year after year, tons at first, but he had piss poor farming techniques. No crop rotation etc.. and the potatoes kept getting smaller and smaller till they weren't worth growing. Enter sheep, which overgrazed the heck out of it.  Then came the sand  It's actually glacial silt, technically.

from the desertofmaine website
-

William Tuttle Farm ...1797
In 1797 the Tuttle family moved to the 300 acre farm that once covered the Desert of Maine where they successfully raised crops of potatoes and hay for several years. Failure to rotate crops thereafter, combined with massive land - clearing and overgrazing resulted in severe soil eroison that exposed this hidden Desert. As the spreading sand grew uncontrollable, the Tuttles surrendered, leaving the Desert to it's destiny.

Link Posted: 6/6/2009 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#40]
Sunny Saturday Bump.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top