Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2009 12:38:09 PM EDT
Allright so I need to get a smoker I am thinking around $100?? I think I remember seeing that wal-mart carried a decent one?!

Help a guy out!!
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:45:52 PM EDT
[#2]
buy a Weber Smokey Mountain, about double your price range, but much nicer than anything you can buy for $100
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 12:56:21 PM EDT
[#3]
This one Char Griller Smokin' Pro model was bought by me from Menards last year on sale for $139. and I have done well with it.  Just be sure to Google the model and you will find how to tweak it for little or no money into a better smoker.

Today I'm using a large upright gas Smokey Mountain smoker  which can be had at Walmart for $99.96.  Mine was free from a bud who didn't want to mess with it.  This seems to work okay but the water pan and wood chip box are far too small but will work okay fine.  I added a rain cap to the smoke vent on top as mine sits outside in the weather.

I use the charcoal/wood smoker for short smokes and the gas smoker for longer smokes.  Each will serve you well with some tweaking and monitoring.  Good luck and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 1:06:33 PM EDT
[#4]
an old cookie sheet fits perfectly between the flame and grill on my gas bbq.  i turn the flame on low and i like apple chips for flavor.

Link Posted: 5/25/2009 2:12:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Consider a used one.  Craigslist, maybe?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 2:21:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This one Char Griller Smokin' Pro model was bought by me from Menards last year on sale for $139. and I have done well with it.  Just be sure to Google the model and you will find how to tweak it for little or no money into a better smoker.

Today I'm using a large upright gas Smokey Mountain smoker  which can be had at Walmart for $99.96.  Mine was free from a bud who didn't want to mess with it.  This seems to work okay but the water pan and wood chip box are far too small but will work okay fine.  I added a rain cap to the smoke vent on top as mine sits outside in the weather.

I use the charcoal/wood smoker for short smokes and the gas smoker for longer smokes.  Each will serve you well with some tweaking and monitoring.  Good luck and have fun.

Cool the smokey mountain one is the one I heard about before.

How do the smokin pro vs. a vertical smoker compare?

Anyone try the brinkmann double door from wal-mart? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10854142

Any good bbq forums like ar15 to check out?
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I got mine for $100 from Cabela's "bargain cave."  Pre-owned, but not used.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:09:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Cool the smokey mountain one is the one I heard about before.

How do the smokin pro vs. a vertical smoker compare?

Anyone try the brinkmann double door from wal-mart? http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10854142

Any good bbq forums like ar15 to check out?

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/

I think a virticle smoker is a lot easier to use than a side box smoker like the Char Griller Smokin' Pro from my limited experience.
Link Posted: 5/25/2009 4:11:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I smoke like a chimney and I'm the cheapest bastard you will ever meet. But I aint for sale.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:24:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought a $180 model from Cabela's.
Not the best but it seems to work OK for the price.

Cabela's Smoker

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:28:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I got a brinkmann from lowe's for about $130. If you wait until fall, they get even cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Research a UDS.  They are easy to make, cheep, and are a great BBQ.  There is a 200+ page on them on BBQ Breatheren forum.

A true smoker is good for only one thing - smoking.  UDS is a great BBQ - without the 1k+ price tag of a Klose or similar pit.  Plus they are as economical to feed as a green egg.
––-
toy I want is a BBQ Guru - but that is out of your price range for now.
––-
fwiw the Webber is a good grill (got one).  I like the Webber  gas grill as well (got one).  I also have a custom offset, my neighbor has a custom Klose (his is closer to the $10k range) - he even is thinking of getting a UDS.  They are incredible to cook with - just close to -0- brag factor (accept from the UDS community).
––-
Oh, UDS are sold commercially Big Drum Smoker- I think the drum size costs $350.  Depending on how resourceful you are, you can almost always make one for less than $100.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Yeah, enjoy that one. The metal is about one gauge thicker than heavy duty aluminum foil and that little smoker holds heat about as well as a block of dry ice. You will spend your entire day watching the fire on that thing because as soon as you turn your back, your temperature will take a nosedive. Save up another couple of hundred bucks and buy a better smoker.
Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Temp control / temp consistency is one of the BIG keys to good results.

Most of the "$100" rigs typically don't do well in that area ... at least not without a fair bit of modifying.  Invest a bit more money on the front end and you'll save yourself a bunch of frustration in the long run.

The Weber Smokey Mountain "bullet" is a quality unit for around $300.00, and the UDS (BDS) setups referenced above look interesting as well.

Link Posted: 5/26/2009 6:51:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Big Green Egg.
Link Posted: 6/1/2009 10:01:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I bought a $180 model from Cabela's.
Not the best but it seems to work OK for the price.

Cabela's Smoker

http://www.pbase.com/terry_56/image/101063460.jpg

I bought an identical smoker a few years ago at Lowes on sale for $70, excepted that it was branded as a" Masterbuilt 7-in1." Everything but the water pan has held up great and I have smoked everything from pork butts, ribs, turkeys, meat loaf, potato skins, etc. I haven't used it this year though because my father-in-law finally passed on his smoker to me. It's a stainless steel US Army field oven made by Coleman in 1951and it is a wonderful smoker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top