Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/30/2009 5:28:10 AM EDT
Question 1 was asked yesterday question 1 link

Q1 was "If you go 1 mile over the posted speed limit, are you breaking the law?"

Question 2 is:

If you go 3 miles over the posted speed limit, are you breaking the law?

I will follow up with another question (Monday) as I want to let answers be told. Stick with me on this one, I have some interesting points to make.

edit for grammer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:32:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the law. If the law says 'Thou shalt not do X', then yes, duh...

Are you one of the question-chaining-I'm-gonna-use-your-prior-answers-to-hang-you-out-to-dry-later people?

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:33:36 AM EDT
[#2]
well even 1 mile over is illegal but unlikely to be enforced
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
it's not enforceable in Georgia and the most they can give you for 3 mph over is a warning.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:37:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm betting this may be the distinction on which he'll hang his upcoming case/rant.

'But, it's still illegal, right?'

'Just because no one ever gets a ticket for 1mph over does not make it okay!'

'If 5M people do a wrong thing, it doesn't make it right!'

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:39:00 AM EDT
[#5]
letter of the law, yes it's illegal.

in practice? not so much. speedometer error, mechanical variations, many factors can make a 1-3mph variance, up OR down. around here, you've got to be doing 15+ over the limit for them to even look up at you.

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:42:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
letter of the law, yes it's illegal.

in practice? not so much. speedometer error, mechanical variations, many factors can make a 1-3mph variance, up OR down. around here, you've got to be doing 15+ over the limit for them to even look up at you.

This is a pretty accurate statement.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:49:42 AM EDT
[#7]
problem is that speeding is a strict liability type criminal offense. It negates the need for means reas and focuses only on actus reaus.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

+1.....And the calibration on a radar unit is usually + or - a tad.....And most Cops are not that anal.....Normally i give 15 MPH over before i write a ticket unless the person is a complete asshole......Can't talk yourself out of a ticket but you sure can talk yourself into one.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:22:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Is Basic Speed Law in effect?
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:30:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1.....And the calibration on a radar unit is usually + or - a tad.....And most Cops are not that anal.....Normally i give 15 MPH over before i write a ticket unless the person is a complete asshole......Can't talk yourself out of a ticket but you sure can talk yourself into one.

Good to know you're out there keeping the uppity civilians in their place!

Speeding, even 1 mph over, is illegal.  Speeding, even 50 mph over, if you are doing so in a non-residential area and not hurting anyone, is not immoral.  

Traffic laws are nanny-state BS, it's just that most people see them as "common sense" safety measures.  Just like gun control and registration are "common sense".
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:35:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Question 1 was asked yesterday question 1 link

Q1 was "If you go 1 mile over the posted speed limit, are you breaking the law?"

Question 2 is:

If you go 3 miles over the posted speed limit, are you breaking the law?

I will follow up with another question (Monday) as I want to let answers be told. Stick with me on still one, I have some interesting points to make.

Yes, however it's enforceability varies by state.

For example, in WA you must be going at least 3 over to be cited.

They base this on a ~3mph variance in speedometer calibration being common....

Most civvie police will leave you alone for 0-10 over on the freeway... MPs on post? Well, that's another story....
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 6:40:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Speeding, even 1 mph over, is illegal.  Speeding, even 50 mph over, if you are doing so in a non-residential area and not hurting anyone, is not immoral.  

Traffic laws are nanny-state BS, it's just that most people see them as "common sense" safety measures.  Just like gun control and registration are "common sense".

No, traffic laws are not 'nanny state BS'.

They are needed to allow orderly flow of traffic, which is important if anyone wants to get where they're going...

This becomes even more apparent when you switch from 'driving' to 'flying'... The reason that procedures are standardized, is to give everyone a REASONABLE expectation of what the other folks they are sharing the (Road, sea, sky) with are going to do....

Chaos sucks... Period.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They are needed to allow orderly flow of traffic, which is important if anyone wants to get where they're going...

This becomes even more apparent when you switch from 'driving' to 'flying'... The reason that procedures are standardized, is to give everyone a REASONABLE expectation of what the other folks they are sharing the (Road, sea, sky) with are going to do....

Chaos sucks... Period.

And your solution is a law.  Your solution for everything is a law, backed up by armed agents of the state.

Assuming that our current traffic system (the speed limits and lights, etc) is necessary, why does it have to be a law?  Why is it a criminal offense to go 100mph on an empty road?  

At best, traffic lights and speed limits should only be used to determine fault in civil suits.  If you run a red light and injure someone or damage their property, it is your fault and you should be liable for damages.  If you run that same red light when there is no one around, it shouldn't be a crime at all.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 7:06:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chaos sucks... Period.

And your solution is a law.  Your solution for everything is a law, backed up by armed agents of the state.

Assuming that our current traffic system (the speed limits and lights, etc) is necessary, why does it have to be a law?  Why is it a criminal offense to go 100mph on an empty road?  

At best, traffic lights and speed limits should only be used to determine fault in civil suits.  If you run a red light and injure someone or damage their property, it is your fault and you should be liable for damages.  If you run that same red light when there is no one around, it shouldn't be a crime at all.

Damn, you have obviously never driven in the shithole known as Northern Virginia!

I think OP is one of them left lane turtles who justifies stacking people up behind him by saying "I'm obeying the law"! (joke)

Link Posted: 4/30/2009 5:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Tickets for 15 and up here, and that depends on attitude. I usually just use speed for probable cause, to see what else might present itself.
Link Posted: 4/30/2009 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
it's not enforceable in Georgia and the most they can give you for 3 mph over is a warning.

Thats not the case with State Troopers, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top