Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/21/2009 8:09:41 PM EDT
This piece of shit Smith fell to pieces during fairly light handling:
Do not trust your life to one of these weapons (if it can even be called that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkoutGwA78

Here is the first stage shot before that one (While the firearm was still a weapon

):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU17B_spw-w&feature=channel_page

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE TAN

j/k

the crane broke?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#2]
One of those screws (the one directly above the trigger) retains the cylinder.  Was it missing or not?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:13:42 PM EDT
[#3]
That's pretty crazy.  did the screw just fall out, or was it missing in the first place?  Did you buy the pistol new, or might someone have done some questionable gunsmithing on it previously?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
But everybody knows revolvers never have problems!!!1!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:16:33 PM EDT
[#5]
damn bro, what happened to the smith? ive never had troubble with mine.
keep us updated.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#6]
How old is the gun?  Did you buy it new?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
It sounds like that screw that keeps the crane in went away (or wasn't put back in). Or you put the wrong one in.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE TAN

j/k

the crane broke?

More like extra crispy. Most people don't know that black people can get sunburn.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:17:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn airsoft crap.

Seriously, that sucks.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That's pretty crazy.  did the screw just fall out, or was it missing in the first place?  Did you buy the pistol new, or might someone have done some questionable gunsmithing on it previously?

The mainspring was changed.

Nothing more...

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:18:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

One of those screws (the one directly above the trigger) retains the cylinder.  Was it missing or not?

It was still in the gun.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It sounds like that screw that keeps the crane in went away (or wasn't put back in). Or you put the wrong one in.

Is that like the shoulder thing that goes up?
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

HOLY SHIT YOU'RE TAN

j/k

the crane broke?

More like extra crispy. Most people don't know that black people can get sunburn.

ya know, I never thought of that. huh.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

But everybody knows revolvers never have problems!!!1!

This is the worst malfunction I've ever had with any firearm.

Shit just fucking fell off!

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

It was never taken out and was still in the weapon when it disassembled itself.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

How old is the gun?  Did you buy it new?

Two? Yes.

It hasn't been fired much.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooooo, that does suck. Got any close up pics with arrows pointing to the broke areas?

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:21:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I've seen that exact same failure happen during qualification.

Also seen revolvers seize when dirt gets under the extractor.

My own GP100 seized when a pierced primer blew into the firing pin orifice, locking the cylinder up tight.

BSW
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#19]

That stinks! What's it going to cost you to fix it? I'd get it running again and sell that thing. I wouldn't trust my life to it for sure.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:21:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Shit just fucking fell off!

He was a REVOLVER guy!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:22:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Any and all guns can fail, even my beloved Glock. Some weapons are just more reliable then others, but no weapon is perfect.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]
That sucks, btw nice speed reloads
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#23]
The three screws have to be put in specific places.  Some of them are longer than others.  One of the screws is short enough such that if you use it to retain the crane, it won't do the job.  The cylinder will work itself right out of there.

Don't feel too bad.  I did that once upon a time, but I figured it our when I did a function check and the cylinder slid forward enough that it wouldn't swing shut.  I took out the screws and sure enough, they are different lengths.

Hope this helps.

Edited to add:  If you want, I'll take my apart and show you what I'm talking about.  If that'll help any.  Just let me know.  That digital camera is around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Wow..epic failure. That sucks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:23:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ooooo, that does suck. Got any close up pics with arrows pointing to the broke areas?

It didn't leave the fucking range.

I threw it into traffic and made sure no one would ever attempt to waste time and money to repair it.
I gave it to a smith at the fun match who has seen three of them do it in the last month. Something about the metal being shitty.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#26]
have you contacted S&W about this yet?  send them a link to the video.  their CS is awsome.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:24:21 PM EDT
[#27]
I had a hangfire with a revolver that lasted about 1-2 seconds...

In a SHTF senario who knows how that would have turned out had it gone off while I was firing again.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:25:45 PM EDT
[#28]
You accidently the whole thing?

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:26:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

It didn't leave the fucking range.

I threw it into traffic and made sure no one would ever attempt to waste time and money to repair it.

I gave it to a smith at the fun match who has seen three of them do it in the last month. Something about the metal being shitty.

So you aren't going to try to fix it?

Nice reloads BTW.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#30]
That poor revolver couldnt keep up with your lightning speed...
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:26:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

YEAH!!! Pics. NOW!!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The three screws have to be put in specific places.  Some of them are longer than others.  One of the screws is short enough such that if you use it to retain the crane, it won't do the job.  The cylinder will work itself right out of there.

Don't feel too bad.  I did that once upon a time, but I figured it our when I did a function check and the cylinder slid forward enough that it wouldn't swing shut.  I took out the screws and sure enough, they are different lengths.

Hope this helps.

S&W started using a spring loaded detent screw for the yoke. Either the OP's handgun had the screws improperly installed as mentioned above, or the POS spring detent screw failed.

FWIW, this was not a problem with the old style yoke retention screw, except in the case mentioned above.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:27:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

So you aren't going to try to fix it?

Nice reloads BTW.

Thanks, it will cost less than $35 and I will consider shooting it again...    

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Ruger needs to make a moon clip wheel gun in 45 acp.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:28:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

S&W started using a spring loaded detent screw for the yoke. Either the OP's handgun had the screws improperly installed as mentioned above, or the POS spring detent screw failed.

FWIW, this was not a problem with the old style yoke retention screw, except in the case mentioned above.

This is what was said verbatim.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:30:51 PM EDT
[#37]

WOW!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Ok, I've seen a lot of stuff on the range...but I've never seen that before.

We need detailed pics of this revolver and of the screw that holds the crane in place. This is not a common issue. This is a struck by lightning issue.

How old was the revolver? How many rounds through it? Has anyone screwed around with it? (Especially relevant if it's a used revolver)

I didn't think to take pictures of it (I was a bit frustrated).

I gave it to the Smith after the video and packed up to eat afterwards.

The weapon appeared externally inact - no external damage could be observed by the gunsmith or I.

The detent was visibly damaged as posted earlier.

I'll ask the gunsmith if he can include the original parts and I'll snap a shot of them.

Two years old - 500 maybe - just a lighter mainspring (Doesn't require anything more than removing the grip).

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is what was said verbatim.

Why am I not surprised?

The old style worked fine, but did require fitting. It didn't need to be changed. S&W decided to change it as a cost cutting measure(my guess).
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:33:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Ok, I've seen a lot of stuff on the range...but I've never seen that before.

We need detailed pics of this revolver and of the screw that holds the crane in place. This is not a common issue. This is a struck by lightning issue.

How old was the revolver? How many rounds through it? Has anyone screwed around with it? (Especially relevant if it's a used revolver)

I didn't think to take pictures of it (I was a bit frustrated).

I gave it to the Smith after the video and packed up to eat afterwards.

The weapon appeared externally inact - no external damage could be observed by the gunsmith or I.

The detent was visibly damaged as posted earlier.

I'll ask the gunsmith if he can include the original parts and I'll snap a shot of them.

Two years old - 500 maybe - just a lighter mainspring (Doesn't require anything more than removing the grip).

Changing the mainspring on a S&W without removing the sideplate is a bitch, IME.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
S&W started using a spring loaded detent screw for the yoke.

When in blue hell did they start doing that? First the locks, now that....WTF are they smoking over there? It's a REVOLVER. DA revolvers have been pretty much perfect as far as the internals since the 60's. Leave them the ^@$^!%% alone.

Started before the locks AFAIK.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

That stinks! What's it going to cost you to fix it? I'd get it running again and sell that thing. I wouldn't trust my life to it for sure.

Hell no, I couldn't count on it to punch paper.

I'm considering it...

$35 or less.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Sorry, in my zeal to help I missed the bit about the detent.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#45]
It is the new tactical model, you drop the cylinder and replace it with another one.
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hell no, I couldn't count on it to punch paper.

I'm considering it...

$35 or less.

It shouldn't be more than $5-$10 to replace the screw, if that.

ETA–– link
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Shooting revolver hoping for the easy win huh
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Oh man, I LOL'd.  It would have been bad if it were a real situation, but man, that was funny!
Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It is the new tactical model, you drop the cylinder and replace it with another one.

Link Posted: 4/21/2009 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top