Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2002 6:02:52 AM EDT
was watching tv last night and could not help to get really pissed off.
I guess they have built a statue dipicting the photo of the three fireman that raised the flag over the ruins of the rubble of the wtc.
the 3 fireman upon a whim took a flag off a ship in the harbor and put it on the flag pole and to me that picture reminds me of iwo-jima and the city desides to make a large bronze statue of the 3 fireman reaising the flag right down to the smallest detail but 1.

instead of the actual event they want to be politically correct so they change it to have a african american in the statue instead of one of the real firefighters that raised it.
and then try to defend it by saying it is more in line of the people that work for the fire department and even that the african american % is under 3% of the total firefighters in new york I do not see a hispanic in the statue and they make up almost 4% of the total.

all of that aside they are depressing the thoughts of the 3 hero's that raised that flag and worst of all and what pissed me off was that they are trying to rewrite history.

should we go back and take Ira hayes name off the statue of iwo-jima and put a different minority in his place just because it's politically correct not not factual.

is it just me thats pissed as I do not think I a bigot but dang I just can't believe what I see sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:06:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:08:29 AM EDT
[#2]
When you're right you're right.  Just be happy the statue of the black man does not look like Rev. Al Sharpton.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 6:44:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Been discussed- try here for all the exciting deatils...  [xx(]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=85304&page=1[/url]
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks my blood is boiling.  If I remember one of the guys didn't want to sit for the statue.  Dam that’s how FDNY is, look at what they did to EMS.  The only reason we were merged was to get more minorities in. So that they could get there Federal Aid. Until WTC EMS wasn't even counted has part of FDNY.  We were a bunch of bastards, and to the administration still are. Yea none of us knew what color anyone was.  We were lucky to be able to see and breathe. The statue is an insult to all FDNY/EMS/PD and minorities. What are Black, Hispanic & Women tokens to FDNY that’s all.

It has taken almost 5yrs to get respect from allot of guys on the street that EMS is an emergency service. So it's no surprise to me that FDNY administration would do this. We know that every man & women no matter what color what lifestyle were the heroes there. Also lets not forget about those who came from all over the Country to help. The statue is a slap in the face to all mankind if not pictured in the way it really was that day.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:26:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Next we need to go re-do the Iwo Jima flag raising statute and put a Japanese-American in there.  Who cares that there were no Japanese-Americans at Iwo Jima?  After all, many Japanese-Americans fought and died with the 442 in Europe.  We need to commemorate them and observe that the war against Japan was against their evil government, not the Japanese people, who need to be celebrated and embraced for their cultural diversity.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Slip sliding away, slip sliding away.....
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:43:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
... the war against Japan was against their evil government, not the Japanese people, who need to be celebrated and embraced for their cultural diversity.
View Quote

C.B. Ranger,
are you referring to the cultural diversity of the '442' - the Japanese people as a whole ??

(I might have had a couple of drinks last night and might not have my 'one'cylinder brain totally up to power.)
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Slip sliding away, slip sliding away.....
View Quote

Damn Mean Green,
I neither want to embarass nor humiliate you - and I've tried to figure out a way not to say something nice but..
yours may be the finest example of "less is more" that I've seen posted here.

Please accept my apology.
Link Posted: 1/12/2002 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
5subslr5, 442 was a regiment of Japanese-Americans which distinguished itself in combat in WWII.

Hey have another drink, that's what I am doing.  Football's on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top