Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2002 8:27:13 PM EDT
Going to be visiting Bragg for a few days this month for work.

Any good gun shops (for AR parts like M4 barrels) or gear shops in the area that I shouldn't miss while there ?

"Geared Up" is there I think, others ?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 8:46:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Jim's Gun Jobbery for guns and the range.

Not too many parts places or public gunsmiths. Most mail order.

Lots of good pawn, surplus, and nylon shops.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
SF:  Thanks for the response.  I haven't been to Bragg in years, but if that "Jobbery" is on the road off Bragg (Yadkin Road?) on the way to the Cross Creek Mall I knew that place as "Jim's Pawn" back in 83-87 when I was with the 325th AIR.  Bought my first Browning HP there and my HK 93A3 (which I sold in 87 for $600 and now I hear they are worth like $2500 even semi-auto).

I'll be checking out the surplus and nylon stores too just to see what I can see.
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
New name, other side of the store.  Still on Yadkin near Skibo.

I was in 7th SFGA while you were here with the Glider Riders.

You heard right about the H&Ks.  I passed on a deal to buy SP-89s for $600 each on clearance. Why did I want a 5 lb. 9mm pistol with a 15 round mag?  Now mucho dinero!
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:12:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Guess since I'm a respectable married guy these days I'll pass on "Ricks Lounge" or pretty much anywhere on Bragg Blvd. though... :>
Link Posted: 1/6/2002 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Go to Hay street, Moonlight lounge or one of the other places that got Fayetteville renamed to FayetteNam...
(Insert Evil Grin here, I'm married, too, and wife will be here in TN while I am stationed there. I'm tamed, though, and will be spending all of my off time at the Green Beret Sport Parachute club...)
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 2:40:36 PM EDT
[#6]
OK so here I am in good old Fayettville now.

Recommendations for particular gear shops to visit ?  General Jacksons just didnt cut it for me.

Is "GearedUp" worth finding ?

What about others ?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:06:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Those posting about Hay Street and Rick's have not been here in about 8 years, when it was torn down and the street pretty much purged of wild times.

GBSPC is a good place to hang out, but you gotta have a pass to get on post now.

HBAR16, as a fellow jumper, drop me an email and let me know what, if anything you are looking for and I'll try to hook you up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#8]
I seem to recall a place called Carolina something.  On Bragg Blvd, I think.  I remember it being a pretty decent shop.  Of, course that was 10-12 years ago.

Eddie
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 4:43:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Carolina Firearms Sports and Pawn, 2803 Bragg Blvd.

Good store, much cheaper than Jim's or the ripoff stores.

But at Jim's you could rent a Class III and rock n' roll on their indoor range!!

Link Posted: 1/14/2002 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
GBSPC is a good place to hang out, but you gotta have a pass to get on post now.
View Quote

Actually all you need to get on post is a state DL.

I'll tell you though, it's weird driving around here because things have changed so much.  Lots of restaurants and whatnot out by Cross Creek that simply wasn't here when I left in 87.

And ChiChis is closed.  [:(] Spent many a night there sucking down margaritas and talkin' the talk.

Quoted:
Carolina Firearms Sports and Pawn, 2803 Bragg Blvd.

But at Jim's you could rent a Class III and rock n' roll on their indoor range!!
View Quote

Hmmm... momma don't dance but daddy COULD rock and roll!  Maybe if the SGM gets done with us early I'll have a little recreation time and take some of my buddies.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:22:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Did'nt they build a police station where Ricks used to be? Also for fun you may want to check out the new Sp Ops museum.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:46:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's my .02

For Food and Drink give the Downtown area a try. The have refurbed it in the early '20s style and it's quite nice. While there I'd try "Husky Hardware" for food/ drink and "Rude Awakenings" for coffee.

The Town area also hosts the new Airborne/ Spec ops museum. This is a world-class facility and certainely worth seeing. Very Impressive.

The "Mash House" on sycamore dairy road is also a fine micro brewery (they just won an award in Germany for one of their beers).

For Gear your best bets are Tier one outfitters for high end camping and General Jackson’s for nylon. There is a guy in the back (Willy) who does great custom sew work. Then there’s always the pawn shops....

For Gun stuff I'd go to Jim's to window shop only. I think you'll find that the prices are on the high end of retail.

My favorite is Shooter's Pawn at 5103 Bragg Blvd. Great bunch of guys and all are gun guys (IPSC, IDPA, 3 gun, etc). Phone is 910-860-3700. It's right next to Carolina Pawn which is also a decent store.  

Now for reminiscing over deals that I've missed. Do you guys remember the AKMs that Jim's used to sell in 1984-85? They came in the wooden crate, folding stock, 3 mags, etc. He couldn't give those away for $250.00. If I would only bought 30 or 40 0f those I could have retired [:)].

Enjoy town but keep your wits about you. Some things haven't changed all that much since the late 80's
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#13]
off track but....11H1P when are you going to square away those jumps commands? [:D]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 4:30:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to Sharkey's, Its on Bragg blvd.  Free Food and well, half dressed women. What a concept.  Place just opened earlier this year, lots of folks that used to work at Cue and Ale, Fantasy ect jumped ship.  

Link Posted: 1/15/2002 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
(Insert Evil Grin here, I'm married, too, and wife will be here in TN while I am stationed there. I'm tamed, though, and will be spending all of my off time at the Green Beret Sport Parachute club...)
View Quote

Where you at in TN? I'm in Nashville.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 10:04:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Be sure to go to Jims and look around but do not spend any money in there---he is not a friend of the shooter---because of him a lot of great merchants don't some to the Fayetteville Gun show anymore---i'm not sure i have all the facts exactly straight on this but when Jim Faircloth was on the city council he put the tax man on the venders at the gun show and ran a bunch of them off with high two day county venders licences....i was there that sunday and a bunch said they'd never be back to Fayetteville show.   He wants all the gun business for himself....

almost forgot--the Wilmington Jims operation was selling postban AR's in preban configuration at preban prices....i was about to pay 1200 for a Bushy CAR when something didn't seem right--held off-called bushmaster--sure enough---postban serial #....Trust me they are smart enough to know the difference......sold a buddy a postbanHBAR bushy as preban---confronted them--they went in the back and gave him a preban......

As you can tell i love Jims............Dick
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 2:44:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Jim tried to shut down Ed's in Southern Pines as well. Ed told him to get bent, so Jim built a store there. Eddie's store is always packed, and Jim's looks like the Maytag Repairman's shop.

Ed usually has a table set up if Jim's is at the show. Has great prices, too. Give him a try if you see his tables.

Haven't bought anything from Jim's since the 1994 screwjob.
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#19]
i always hear good stuff about Ed's--lots of my pals buy stuff there.....Dick
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#20]
H-bar try Jerys Pawn on Bragg Blvd too. (AKA Shotters Pawn.) They deal with ARs alot too
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:31:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for all the info folks!

I found that Sarge's Surplus in Spring Lake had reasonable prices for surplus gear but they had no ripstop desert 3-colors in stock in my sizes (L-R top, XL-S or XL-R bottom).

I'll have to check out Jerry's Pawn (aka Shooter's Pawn) for AR stuff next trip.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Well there is the Gunshow this weekend. I can give you a ride if interested. There is also a good place for parts and Range. Its called Range 1 in Bunnlevel. Anything else let me know.
Link Posted: 1/17/2002 2:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks for the offer ADTECHARMS, but my weekend is already full-up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top