Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2009 5:09:35 PM EDT
What do you think thus far?

I built myself a little "studio" out of lights clipped on to pvc stands I built, with a white shade as a background.

Also, Photoshop resizes the picture much better than the POS program I was trying to use at my parent's house.

P.S. Tips appreciated.

New question is in new post below.

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
it is the same as when you zoom in on a digital you get fuzzier and more pixelated. are you cropping on your camera or computer. I have had better luck on my conputer than on my camera. anyway get a closer shot so you dont have to crop and make sure your shot is in crystal clear focus.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
That and use a tripod.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I would ask the experts in the photography forum instead of the monkeys here in GD.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Send me that 1911 and you'll become an expert immediately.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:30:18 PM EDT
[#5]
did you white balance first?

needs a light on the right

maybe use unsharp mask

take closer photos just the the front backs and sides, or crop closer

also the grip is blurry, back up the camera and zoom in if possible
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:52:07 PM EDT
[#7]
My D80 does the same thing when I try to post, don't know why.
I'm thinking it's that I'm shooting at almost the max resolution of the camera and then relying on the computer to re size to quality for posting and losing lots of quality along the way.
If I know I'm going to post to the internet, I'm going to try shooting My D80 at a lower resolution so the re-size maintains most of the cameras pixels (if that makes sense)....  I don't know...
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 5:58:43 PM EDT
[#8]
It's the algorithm the software uses to downsample the image. I'd sharpen and maybe even lighten the image slightly to taste once you down-rezzed it.

D80's a sweet camera, I love mine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I looked at a d80 today. How do you like it overall?
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:14:11 PM EDT
[#10]
double tap

Tom
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I think you're doing it wrong.

This was with a cheap-0 point and shoot.

Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:15:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Adjust the picture size on the camera to Small by pressing the qual button then turning the dial under the on/off switch until the "S" is displayed in the status window. Then retake the picture and see if it look better when you resize.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#13]
edit; woops
Link Posted: 2/21/2009 6:29:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What do you think thus far?

I built myself a little "studio" out of lights clipped on to pvc stands I built, with a white shade as a background.

What pisses me off is the originals, when looked at even 75% look much sharper and have so much more detail then when I try to crop them down to postable size.

P.S. Tips appreciated.

First, a lot of photography hinges on what you want the viewer to see.

First thing I noticed was that the muzzle and butt were out of focus.

Maybe you wanted that, maybe not.  

If you increase the light (or send more power to the flash), and close the aperture another stop or two, more of the surface will be in focus at the same time.
But this only goes so far.  Trial and err.

Also, most software allows you to adjust the file size as well as the image size of your edited picture.
The larger the file size, the sharper the image will be.  (in general)
Don't skimp on file size if you want good results.
Most people are using broadband anyway.

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 5:28:56 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, how about now?

I tried a couple of different f-stops and found 11 to give the best results.

f-stop of 11, with an exposure of 1/6th of a second instead of 1/5 of a second resulted in picture number 2. Picture number 2 more accurately represents the colors of the grips. I diffused the top right light to cut the glare found in picture one, but that leaves a shadow under the pistol.

What do you guys think about that shadow? Acceptable? Or is there someway to beat that? I used standard weight paper to diffuse the light, can I try using lighter paper like tissue paper?

ETA - As you can tell, the two lights on the left side of the firearm are not diffused.
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/22/2009 7:58:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 2/22/2009 9:35:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know about fotography, hence my point and shoot, but I'd say your photos are pleasing to the eye.

at least mine eye.
Link Posted: 2/23/2009 3:05:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top