Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2001 5:09:36 PM EDT
There was this guy at the flea market selling a 1998 Cannondale F700. It looked just like the one I have at home, except mine is a different color. I wondered if it was stolen so I asked if he had the original receipt. He said no. He said to not worry about it. Is there a website or anything to find out if a bike is stolen? If I can get the serial number, then can I punch it in somewhere on the net or call someone to check if it's clean? I'd hate to buy a bike that was stolen from some little kid.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:31:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When I grew up in KA, the local fire depts. would take and "brand" your bike with symbol-laden chisols, then "databae" it, or whatever they did back before the Tandy was even viable.  Do they still do that?  Barring that, I have never ever heard of a bicycle SN# databse or the like, no.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Get the serial number and take it to a Cannondale authorized dealer.  Ask this guy detailed questions about how he got it, how much he paid.  Etc... Etc...  You will either start feeling better about the deal or alot more suspicious.  Ask the forum guys at www.mtbr.com.  That site is to mtn. biking what this cite is to the black rifle.
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#3]
The only thing I would suggest is to call the local constabulary as they generally keep a detailed list of bike id #'s that have been reported stolen. Of course it could have been taken from another city etc. Other than that it is just a guess. I have never heard of a stolen bike database website but you could run a search to see if it exists. Hmmmm....another good idea for a dot.com company. For $3.50 we add your bike description/serial#/and contact info to our accessible database...hmmm...I may quit my job on Monday!
Bike theft is HUGE and some folks actually make a living at it! Good luck!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Touch it....if it is hot, it is stolen!
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#5]
What was the price the flea market vendor was asking?

Price is usually a good indication whether bike is hot.

Also, parts get swapped around on these stolen bikes in a manner that make little sense to a real bike person. Like cheap components mixed with high end stuff. Weird scratches or decals hiding logos or identifying markings.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#6]
[b]" How to tell if a bike is stolen?????[/b]

Ummm, if it's no longer there????
Link Posted: 12/30/2001 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Ask the seller for a receipt with his name and drivers license # on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2001 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Police can some times run this numbers. If the
the bike was reported stolen.  I know I have found some high dollar bikes entered into the system in the local area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top