Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/5/2009 6:17:14 PM EDT
http://www.pantagraph.com/shared-content/gallery/?galleryid=4&gallery_page=0&album_page=0&albumid=871&mediaid=19825

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2009/01/05/news/doc49626c5bd87ef739768946.txt

UPDATED 7:40 p.m. NORMAL –– Police from Normal and McLean County confronted and shot a man, suspected of robbing a Check n’ Go in Bloomington, following a high-speed chase on interstate highways around Normal Monday afternoon. | UPDATED Photo gallery

The man police believe robbed four banks in December apparently hit a currency exchange about 1:45 p.m. Monday, Bloomington police said, and was pursued when officers from several jurisdictions picked up the chase near Lexington.

The Pantagraph has learned that the suspect is Robert Sylvester, who court records list as 57 years old.

Police said the suspect was taken to a local hospital. Family members confirmed that Sylvester was at BroMenn Regional Medical Center.

Gary Sylvester said his uncle was an ironworker for about 30 years with a union local, and worked for various contractors.

He said family and friends are “just still in shock. It doesn’t feel real.”

“It’s pretty much all sad—all of it,” said Sylvester, about Monday’s events as well as his uncle being the sole suspect in six armed robberies.

He said “about 30 or so” family friends first gathered in the waiting room of the emergency room and then to a waiting room near the intensive care.

“The family decided to go ahead and donate his organs so somebody could get some good out of this,” said the nephew of Bloomington.

The names of the officers and their police departments involved in the shooting were not being released early Monday evening.

Normal Assistant Chief Rick Bleichner said, "I can tell you we had officers on-scene so it is a possibility they were involved but I cannot confirm that while the incident remains under investigation."

Robbed at gunpoint Monday was Check ‘n Go, Market and Hinshaw Streets, police said. The man fled with an undisclosed amount of cash.

Around 3 p.m., police began a high-speed pursuit of the suspect’s van on Interstate 55 near Lexington. The chase detoured onto P.J. Keller Highway and rural road near Lake Bloomington before the suspect made his way onto Interstate 39 near Hudson.

The chase reached speeds in excess of 90 miles an hour according to traffic on police radios. The suspect, driv-ing what appeared to be a gray van, had both tires go flat on the vehicle but managed to drive off the I-39 exit onto the Interstate 55/74 bypass west of Normal.

According to an eye-witness at the scene, the suspect stopped the vehicle near the Peoria exit onto I-74 just north of Normal Community West High School, exited the van and jumped the concrete barrier in the median onto the northbound lane, displaying a handgun.

Officers from Normal police and the sheriff’s department then exchanged fire with the suspect, who fell onto the road.

More than 20 police vehicles from departments including Normal, McLean County, Lexington and Illinois State Police were still on the scene at 4 p.m.

Police were diverting northbound traffic on I-55/74 at Market Street and were allowing one-lane of traffic southbound, causing a backup for several miles.

The Illinois Department of Transportation said Interstate 55 northbound at milepost 162 and Interstate 74 west-bound were closed just south of the Interstate 55/Interstate 74 split on Normal’s northwest side for a state police investigation Monday afternoon. The detour is expected to remain in effect until at least 10:30 p.m. tonight and possibly as late as early Tuesday.

Traffic will be detoured off I55 at Market Street to Mitsubishi Motorway, then north to I-74 eastbound back to Interstate 55.

The description of the robber police gave earlier Monday was very similar to four previous bank robberies in the Twin Cities since Dec. 3, including U.S. Bank on South Main Street, which was robbed twice.

The latest robbery at U.S. Bank was New Year’s Eve, and a little more than an hour later police believe the same man also robbed a currency exchange on Bloomington’s east side.

The suspect in Monday’s robbery was wearing a mask, jeans, dark hooded jacket and the rest of his description was virtually the same as in the previous cases.

This marks the third shooting of a suspect in a vehicle by area police in the past 9 years.

In July of 2000, Shannon Smith, 27, of Weston was fatally shot during a police pursuit down Interstate 55 over an alleged failure to pay for gasoline on the bridge over Money Creek in rural Towanda. He was not armed and men-tally disabled.

Nathan Ruch, an Illinois State University student living in Bloomington, was shot to death March 27, 2002 in Normal, by James Merica following a chase. Merica, now a Normal Police detective, was a patrol officer at the time.

This story will be updated.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:18:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome pics but they will be used against us when Brady posts these suckers all over the place.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:19:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I was waiting for these to be posted.  Some crazy photos there.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Good riddance.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:20:48 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of Saturday Night Special is that he's toting?

eta:  I predict those New Balance shoes will be getting popular amongst the "gangstas" out there after these pics circulate.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks like it could be the next Marlboro ad.

"Nothing gets in the way of the rich full flavor or Marlboro country."
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:22:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like he was keyed-in on the photographer.  Hopping over the wall is a great pic.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
What pistol is that?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:23:31 PM EDT
[#8]
who in the hell was taking those photos.... almost look out of an movie...
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:23:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Smoking and running from the Po-Po.  Smarts I tells ya..
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Is that a Tokarev?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#12]

What pistol is that?

Dat b a glock fortay it b black so it b a glock
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#13]
Denim head to toe.  Nice.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:25:56 PM EDT
[#14]

damn,  those pictures look like scenes in a movie.  that guy is one crazy mofo.

i wonder how they were captured???

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What pistol is that?

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Good shoot.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:27:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I wanna see where he actually got popped.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Canadian tuxedo.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:29:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a load of that outlaw grandpa! All wild west and shit. Goddamn.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:29:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Is that guy in the last pic a cop? Looks like hes holding a noisy cricket.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:29:18 PM EDT
[#21]
IBTPTDG

In before the poor trigger discipline gestapo

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:29:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What pistol is that?

Makarov perhaps? Hard to tell.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:31:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Excellent Photoshop fodder
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:31:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Smoking kills!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:32:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
IBTPTDG

Damn, I'm late!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#26]
New Balance is having some great ad placement.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:32:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Get a load of that outlaw grandpa! All wild west and shit. Goddamn.

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:33:49 PM EDT
[#28]
the hammerstone
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Excellent Photoshop fodder

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
IBTPTDG

Dude, it's a fuckin' shootout! It would appear he read the instructions.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:36:08 PM EDT
[#31]
This happened about 25 miles from me. I heard about it on the radio earlier out in the shop. Didn't know they had shot the guy.

great pics. Its good to see they caught him.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:36:22 PM EDT
[#32]

Gary Sylvester said his uncle was an ironworker for about 30 years with a union local, and worked for various contractors.

Damn Unions
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#33]
This is what happens when you put excessive taxes on tobacco!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm thinking the prison wardrobe is what he's used too.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:40:21 PM EDT
[#35]
He's in the hospital and still breathing.....NOT DEAD yet.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#36]
My sister and brother in law live down there... my mother was down babysitting my nephew too!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:40:30 PM EDT
[#37]
It looks like a Beretta 83.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Canadian tuxedo.

and i'm from Canada too, i never heard of that
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:43:37 PM EDT
[#39]
I Hope he had a current I.F.O.I.D card
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

damn,  those pictures look like scenes in a movie.  that guy  is wasone crazy mofo.

Fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:45:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn,  those pictures look like scenes in a movie.  that guy  is wasone crazy mofo.

Fixed it for ya

Actually you messed it up for him.....where did you read DEAD?  

ETA:  The title says DEAD.....but the title is wrong....dead wrong.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#42]
those are some nice shots from the camera, is it one of those $6k digital Canons or Nikons?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:47:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I dunno....

from the link:

“The family decided to go ahead and donate his organs so somebody could get some good out of this,” said the nephew of Bloomington."

eta––I changed the thread title. At least it's searchable
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno....

from the link:

“The family decided to go ahead and donate his organs so somebody could get some good out of this,” said the nephew of Bloomington."

eta––I changed the thread title. At least it's searchable

Even if he's guilty, they have to wait for him to die before removing any organs....

ETA: Robert Sylvester pointed his gun at police before he jumped the median and was gunned down in the middle of I-55/74 Monday, January 5, 2009. Sylvester is a suspect in the robbery of Check 'n Go at Market and Hinshaw Streets in Bloomington, Illinois, police said. The suspect fled with an undisclosed amount of cash. Sylvester led police on a high speed chase from Lexington to I-39 before he stopped on I-55/74 just north of Normal Community West High School in Normal. Sylvester was listed in critical condition at a Bloomington hospital (AP photo, The Pantagraph, David Proeber)

OK, maybe he's gonna die....

Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Smoking and running from the Po-Po.  Smarts I tells ya..

If they have to to chase you, know they are bringing a ass whippin with them!
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What pistol is that?

I'd say Tokorev or Makarov but the sights are throwing me.

Daewoo?
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
This happened about 25 miles from me. I heard about it on the radio earlier out in the shop. Didn't know they had shot the guy.

great pics. Its good to see they caught him.

it happened less than a mile from my house.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Looking this guy up on our local court access shows he's no angel.  He's had a few domestic battery charges, along with some other stuff.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I can't believe how photographers will stand infront of a guy waving a gun and just take pics.
Link Posted: 1/5/2009 6:56:56 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Looking this guy up on our local court access shows he's no angel.  He's had a few domestic battery charges, along with some other stuff.

Was she nagging him about money?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top