Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/1/2009 7:39:01 PM EDT
People actually do this ???  Register them with the city .... I understand registration with AKC UKC  etc....

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#1]
No.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Nope
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#4]
i view it as annother "idiot tax"
in my county, the fine for not having the registration is 10$. the anual fee is 10$.
so if you only get caught every other year, you break eaven. the day they start checking my dog for registration IN MY OWN MOTHER FUCKING HOME is the day they start to loose their jobs one way or annother...
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not required where I live.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I register them to akc but not to the city.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
i view it as annother "idiot tax"
in my county, the fine for not having the registration is 10$. the anual fee is 10$.
so if you only get caught every other year, you break eaven. the day they start checking my dog for registration IN MY OWN MOTHER FUCKING HOME is the day they start to loose their jobs one way or annother...

This.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 7:59:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Nope, it is just as bad as big bother wanting to know about what weapons you have.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:00:08 PM EDT
[#9]
11 years and no, fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:01:47 PM EDT
[#10]
My dog is an assault dog (GSD) and I live in California.  I had to register him or become a felon.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My dog is an assault dog (GSD) and I live in California.  I had to register him or become a felon.

Please tell me your joking ? I ask because almost anything could be true these days....

And no i dont register my dog
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes,always did growing up. No dog now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Yet another reason to like cats.

Yeah. I went there.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:05:23 PM EDT
[#14]
If mine get out, and picked up, it's $100 fine with out the tags.    If they have the tags, no charge.    The tags cost $5 or something close to that.    

They are not required to have them if they remain on my property.  Seems fair.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Yet another reason to like cats.

Yeah. I went there.

Until they eat you when you die.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#16]
We don't have a choice.  As of July 1, 2007, VA state law requires all vets to report all dogs to the local gov't for registration when they are brought in for a rabies vaccination. And they're talking about passing a similar law for cats (CATS! WHAT THE F_CK!>?!?) I'm not sure what the penalty is if you refuse to pay, but I think the vet is required to refuse to administer the rabies vacc.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:07:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Uh, no.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:07:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

is that one of those scary semi-automatic dogs with a bayonet lug and flash suppressor?
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#19]
No, it keeps them from being shoot.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#20]
They were going to charge me more for not licensing my dog as soon as I got her.  So I never bothered.  That was 9 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:11:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Are you freaking kidding me?

I will never 'register' my dog
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
They were going to charge me more for not licensing my dog as soon as I got her.  So I never bothered.  That was 9 years ago.

Huh?  The first sentence implies you registered the dog. The second contradicts that. The third has nothing to do with the first 2.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:12:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Registration leads to confiscation.  So....NO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:13:10 PM EDT
[#24]
We are forced to.  By law, the vet must give the local government your information about your dog.  If it isn't registered, they pay you a visit.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:13:30 PM EDT
[#25]
The wife makes me do it.  I don't particularly like to, but it's not worth fighting over.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:17:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Fine here is $100, and for $10 a year if they get out I get a call and come get them. And the $10 is used to take in animal and other services.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
We don't have a choice.  As of July 1, 2007, VA state law requires all vets to report all dogs to the local gov't for registration when they are brought in for a rabies vaccination. And they're talking about passing a similar law for cats (CATS! WHAT THE F_CK!>?!?) I'm not sure what the penalty is if you refuse to pay, but I think the vet is required to refuse to administer the rabies vacc.

They do the same thing here in the county I live in. I just ignore the notices telling me I need to register my dog when I get them in the mail. Been doing it for years now, and so far they have not taken any action other than sending more notices every time I take them in for vaccination.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please tell me your joking ? I ask because almost anything could be true these days....

And no i dont register my dog

I shouldn't joke.  Some California politician might hear about this and promise everyone that he will make their children safe by banning assault dogs.  My dog is not registered.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:23:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do the same thing here in the county I live in. I just ignore the notices telling me I need to register my dog when I get them in the mail. Been doing it for years now, and so far they have not taken any action other than sending more notices every time I take them in for vaccination.

I actually had animal control show up to my house after ignoring two notices.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:23:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine's not.

My mom's is now and I found out how they try to enforce it. The city puts on cheap vaccination clinics every now and then and you have to be a resident of the city to get the discount. Put down your address and such on the forms.

My mom got a letter from the city the next week telling her to register her dog that she had vaccinated.

Those sneaky bastards. I think the fine you if they catch the dog or it happens to bite someone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:24:58 PM EDT
[#31]
In the city I work for, if you don't have your dog registered, you can be fined up to $500.  This is usually accompanied by no rabies tag (Texas is under statewide rabies quarantine and has been since Gov. Richards), and is usually caused by the dog being off-leash ("at-large") - I usually run across this when a dog is loose in the city. I impound it, and when the owner shows up and pays the reclamation fee ($50. if it's registered, $100 if it's not), I'll advise them at that time that their dog needs to be registered. It's $20. for the life of the dog in my city. People don't usually complain after the fine is explained to them. I don't usually write tickets for that unless they insist on "talking to someone". If that's the case, I'll let them talk to the judge. I'm a nice guy, so there's no reason to get ugly with me and push it to that point. If you're wrong, admit it, pay the fee, register you dog, and move on. The real reason for registration of pets is not as a great big money generator; at least not for my city. The point is that the dog has a tag on it, and the owner can be found. I'd much rather take it home and be done with it. The other reason is that Texas law states that before a city can register a dog, proof of rabies has to be shown. This guarantees that dogs are vaccinated. It's not a government plot to track you, it's a way to protect public safety. Rabies in a border state like Texas is a huge problem. Texas Dept. of State Health Services usually performs the oral rabies vaccination program at taxpayer expense to control the problem - they drop vaccine laced biscuits out of a plane. Mexico and most of the third world doesn't spend money on such things. You'd be surprised at how many people call the city to report lost dogs. Very, very seldom do they have a tag, collar, or chip. People can walk for hours putting up signs on every pole in creation, but keeping a tag on a dog is a major issue for some reason. Get your dog(s) registered and be done with it. Keep a tag on them, and for Heaven's sake, give them a bath every once in a while, too.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:25:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what did you do?  I'd tell them to get the hell off my property, but that may not be the best route.

ETA: My dog is NOT registered, she got her last rabies a few months before the law took effect.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]
If the God-damn dog wants to be registered, he can do it himself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:28:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what did you do?  I'd tell them to get the hell off my property, but that may not be the best route.

I registered my dog (I still have one unregistered).  I'm sure I'll be dealing with them again next year.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
In the city I work for, if you don't have your dog registered, you can be fined up to $500.  This is usually accompanied by no rabies tag (Texas is under statewide rabies quarantine and has been since Gov. Richards), and is usually caused by the dog being off-leash ("at-large") - I usually run across this when a dog is loose in the city. I impound it, and when the owner shows up and pays the reclamation fee ($50. if it's registered, $100 if it's not), I'll advise them at that time that their dog needs to be registered. It's $20. for the life of the dog in my city. People don't usually complain after the fine is explained to them. I don't usually write tickets for that unless they insist on "talking to someone". If that's the case, I'll let them talk to the judge. I'm a nice guy, so there's no reason to get ugly with me and push it to that point. If you're wrong, admit it, pay the fee, register you dog, and move on. The real reason for registration of pets is not as a great big money generator; at least not for my city. The point is that the dog has a tag on it, and the owner can be found. I'd much rather take it home and be done with it. The other reason is that Texas law states that before a city can register a dog, proof of rabies has to be shown. This guarantees that dogs are vaccinated. It's not a government plot to track you, it's a way to protect public safety. Rabies in a border state like Texas is a huge problem. Texas Dept. of State Health Services usually performs the oral rabies vaccination program at taxpayer expense to control the problem - they drop vaccine laced biscuits out of a plane. Mexico and most of the third world doesn't spend money on such things. You'd be surprised at how many people call the city to report lost dogs. Very, very seldom do they have a tag, collar, or chip. People can walk for hours putting up signs on every pole in creation, but keeping a tag on a dog is a major issue for some reason. Get your dog(s) registered and be done with it. Keep a tag on them, and for Heaven's sake, give them a bath every once in a while, too.
I don't need no stinking government bureaucrat telling me this.  I keep all of my dogs up to date on their shots, because I love them and understand the importance of the shots, not because some government goon makes me.

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, that's the stupid thing to do. Animal law is law. If you get all "you're just a wanna be cop, dog-catcher", the cops and judge will straighten you out quickly. It's uncomfortable to have an entire state and city lined up against you when you're wrong. Register the dogs. You can be arrested instead of being given a ticket...
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:32:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:33:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't need no stinking government bureaucrat telling me this.  I keep all of my dogs up to date on their shots, because I love them and understand the importance of the shots, not because some government goon makes me.

Good for you. If your dog ever does get loose and picked up, do yourself a favor and drop the "goon" talk. I know people are tough on the 'net, but be nice, pay the fee, and don't let your mouth get you several citations. Or don't. Your choice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

is that one of those scary semi-automatic dogs with a bayonet lug and flash suppressor?

It has the tail thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:36:23 PM EDT
[#40]
"It's not a government plot to track you, it's a way to protect public safety."

It is just another gov tax scheme at work. Which is why they are starting to mandate by law that vets notify animal control when they vaccinate a dog. So the city or county can get their money from you...
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
$10 a year isn't going to break my bank, and if the dog ever gets loose and turned into any shelter, they will call me to come get him.

Exactly. Usually the people that have problems with registration are very careless in my experience. The kind of person that sticks a dog in a backyard and throws a bowl of food out to the dog and no interaction. Not a valued family member. If that's the case, don't get a dog; get an alarm system installed. No sense in making an animal suffer. People that are responsible usually love their animals and have extensive vet records. Their dogs smell nice, have trimmed nails, and are very friendly and happier. People that leave them in their backyard all of the time? Well, just think of your average pit bull story where the dog gets loose and hurts someone.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:38:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not all owners are so diligent. Its a public health issue. Hence the law.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:41:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It is just another gov tax scheme at work. Which is why they are starting to mandate by law that vets notify animal control when they vaccinate a dog. So the city or county can get their money from you...

There are better ways to get money than $20. for the lifetime of the pet. Try property taxes...Btw, before working in law enforcement (I'm code enforcement and animal control), I thought tickets were a money maker, too. Turns out that violations of municipal ordinances that are ticketed, 40% goes to the state...the remaining 60% goes to the pay of the court clerk, prosecutors, judge, o.t. for me or an officer, etc. Usually by coming to court, the fine is knocked down to a lesser amount for the first offense. Money maker? Not really...
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:46:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are better ways to get money than $20. for the lifetime of the pet. Try property taxes...Btw, before working in law enforcement (I'm code enforcement and animal control), I thought tickets were a money maker, too. Turns out that violations of municipal ordinances that are ticketed, 40% goes to the state...the remaining 60% goes to the pay of the court clerk, prosecutors, judge, o.t. for me or an officer, etc. Usually by coming to court, the fine is knocked down to a lesser amount for the first offense. Money maker? Not really...

So how would a law requiring the registration of cats fall into this "not a money-making scheme" view of yours? VA is seriously considering this. Also, because some owners are irresponsible, all must suffer under this law? Sounds like a pretty familiar line to me. Gun control, anybody?
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:51:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has the tail thing that goes up.

and AFAIK, MO has no registration, so 0% of my dogs have ever been registered
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:53:01 PM EDT
[#46]
All my dogs were lost in a tragic boating accident.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:55:28 PM EDT
[#47]
My city just did this not too long ago.  You have to register with the local police office and a tag must be worn on your pet.  My dog stays in the house 90% of the time.  Fuck them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So how would a law requiring the registration of cats fall into this "not a money-making scheme" view of yours? VA is seriously considering this. Also, because some owners are irresponsible, all must suffer under this law? Sounds like a pretty familiar line to me. Gun control, anybody?

Cats are required to be registered as well. This "not a money making scheme", as you call it, is usually not enforced. Cats are "free commoners", and identifying an owner is difficult. The only time it becomes an issue is when an owner is irresponsible and lets their cat shit in someone's yard, or scratch up their car. People don't normally call me for that; they usually take matters into their own hands ("my cat is missing".."). If you love your cat or dog, you'll be a responsible owner. If not, they'll either deal with the animal themselves, or they'll call the city. Now, I know that registration, local government, etc. are out to get everyone, but if we didn't have any of these laws, you'd probably be insisting that they be put on the books. Let a dog bark next door for an hour or so every day or shit in your yard or bite your kid or.....
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
People actually do this ???  Register them with the city .... I understand registration with AKC UKC  etc....

i do I do

*everytime i get a ticket (4 times in the last 18 years) for unregistered dog.   you get  a the taxes fines dropped for unregistered dog if you register it before you plea

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
My city just did this not too long ago.  You have to register with the local police office and a tag must be worn on your pet.  My dog stays in the house 90% of the time.  Fuck them.

If it always stays in the house, how would anyone know, or why would anyone care? If it ever gets out as you're bringing groceries in, bites a mail carrier, etc., you're fucked. I don't care what anyone here does, but it's something to think about.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top