Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2001 5:03:52 PM EDT
Any feedback on on these HK clones? I see they make a copy of the 91, any better than the parts gun CETME's currently being peddled?
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:35:05 PM EDT
[#1]
don't buy  SPECIAL WEAPONS !!!
they are stealing $120 from me right now.
i sent them payment, certified return reciept postal m/o, for a stock set. well, they say they have no record of my payment. and i have proof they have it, and i am working on getting more proof.

i understand their customer service is the pits.
and i am some proof.

i have seen one of there guns, its not any nicer than a CENTURY gun.

i have a CENTURY CETME, and for the money its very nice.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#2]
 Not to flame Jes in any way, but I have both an SW5 and an SW3, and they both run great.
 I have never had any problem with the SW3, and I believe that the finish on the weapon is far better than anything that Century has ever produced.
 The SW5 runs like a champ after replacing the recoil spring with an HK part, no problems through about 700 rds.
 But BEWARE, TODD at Special Weapons seems to be in his own world and is not the type of customer friendly guy he should be.
 If you expect customer support, you will be disappointed. He has been caught in some very flagrant lies and has been banned from HKPRO totally for his actions and attitude.

Chuck
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Try www.hk91.com  You'll find plenty of info on Toad at Special Weapons.Some people have had no problems with theirs,some have had nothing but problems,some have just been ripped off.I used to have a '91 and now I've got a CETME and I'm just as happy with it.For 1/3 the price I've got a HK clone that shoots as good as the original.It's not going to hold it's value like a HK but you can't beat the price of these CETME's.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 5:58:44 PM EDT
[#4]
 The Cetme rifles are an OUTSTANDING deal for someone who wants to own an HK type weapon but who dosen't want to shell out the tall money for an original Oberndorf weapon.
 I own a PSG1,an HK91,a Springfield SAR3,a SW3, and a Cetme Kit that I built myself on a Hess(yeah I know)receiver.
 Out of all the above, the Cetme is probably the most fun to shoot. The wood stock does make a difference in recoil, and it shoots alot softer than a plastic stocked 91.
 For the 498.00 that you can get a Cetme for, you can not go wrong.
 Have you thought about buying a receiver, a G3 kit, and having it assembled?
 You will have a clone built by a REPUTABLE smith, and you will only be out about 900.00 or so.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I think for $1500 a gun ought to run and shoot great, however SW has had a fairly poor track record thus far.  I'd go with the CETME.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:14:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Where are you Steyr Aug?   Let's hear your impression of Todd's outfit.  HARHAR

Link Posted: 3/10/2001 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#7]
 Go over to HK91.com and read the"New german parts,Not Paki,Not Turkey,but German" thread.
 Oh, it is a laugh riot, and SteyerAUG is on him with both feet.
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Check this out.
[url]http://www.hk91.com/boards/Forum1/HTML/001115.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Damm!!!!  

Those guys are really tearing that Toad(Todd-SW-dude) dude a new cornchute.

[url]http://www.hk91.com/boards/Forum1/HTML/001128.html[/url]
Link Posted: 3/10/2001 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with CIB, if you're going to pay $1500+ for a gun, it should have something like a 99% success rate.  I'm a regular at HK91.com and from reading complaints from Toad's customers, the success rate is more like 60-70%.  So there is a lot of problem with consistency, some like 300ydclean get lucky and get a good shooter, some get screwed and can't go through a mag without a FTF, FTE, etc.  

Plus Todd is an a-hole and kinda crooked.  He's been kicked off of HKPro, Subguns.com, and I think Assaultweb.com.  If any of you guys remember, about a year ago, he bragged about calling BAFT and reporting a customer who was pissed because he got kicked off the waiting list for the guns.  Todd claimed he told BATF that the guy was mentally unstable and shouldn't own guns, or something like that.  

Now he's screwing JES out of parts, and a bit ago, he lost a Kali customer's gun (after 4 months of repair!) via UPS, and now the guy can't get a replacement in Kali.  Todd lowballed the guy on the insurance money, (shorted him on the value of the gun and wouldn't pay for accessories the guy had on the gun) and he has yet to send the guy the check.  

Anyway, my point is Buyer Beware!

You may get lucky and get a functioning gun, or you could just as likely get a lemon and have to deal with Todd calling you a asshole, fag, etc. and claiming you are a liar when your SW5 unexpectedly goes full auto at the range next to a LE.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#11]
i have been wondering why HK /type rifles are not more popular.

1. price
2. todd
3. price of mags/assesories
4. there just are not as many to be had, as compared to fals.
5. todd

you know whats to bad about this whole thing.
todd could easily make at lot of people very happy, and a lot more money doing it, but he chooses to rip people of.

i think he is just a stupid person.
he just doesn't know any better.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:29:07 AM EDT
[#12]
That a*shole has $137 of my money, he advertised having 64 40rd. mags so I ordered twoand give him all my address info in advance.  3 1/2 weeks go by and no mags come, I e-mailed him and here's his reply -

<<  What's going on?   >>

we are sold out of the mags we will try to find you mo and return it to you

>> I sent my m.o. on Feb. 1st for two 40rd. HK94 mags and I've received nothing so far or any communication.  Please let me know when and how my order was shipped?  If it hasn't been shipped, why hasn't it and when and how do you intend to ship it? <<

Guess what, still no m.o., I get so mad I can't stand it everytime I go to write a reply.  If it don't come I'm just going to turn him in for mail fraud.  He's just another Paul Podhorn in my book.  I didn't think anybody could be worse than Olympic Arms customer service but Tod has 'm beat by a mile!

Hey Tod - [-!-!-]

Link Posted: 3/11/2001 11:44:55 AM EDT
[#13]
NHRA Mark -

I'd highly suggest that you get the kit offer from Special Weapons.  They'll send you an FMP receiver and HK91 parts (sans firing pin).  Send the kit off to Jim Gravitt of [url=http://www.protech-engineering.com]ProTech[/url] and for under $900 you'll have a better clone.

I jumped on the SW bandwagon as soon as they announced their clones.  I got the SW5 w/ fake suppressor, the SW5 - PDW, and the SW3.  I was so excited that I took them to the range the day I received them. Broke them in according to Todd's instructions and all I got was FTE, FTFs, loose forearms, broken cocking handles, etc, etc, etc, . . .  I sent the guns back to Todd and they took over 6 weeks to fix them.  I sold them as soon as I got them back from SW.  For the money I spent, I expected more reliability. [pissed]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 12:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
BTW, Todd from SW is up close and personal with our resident thief, Paul Podhorn. Paul at one time ws a stocking dealer for SW, and now he is peddeling weapons via www.gunfinder.com , Todds company.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 4:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Todd owns Special Weapons. The CTME is built off of Todd's original casting mold (he sold it to century).

I built his first SW3 for him and submitted it to BATF for approval (he didn't have his FFL yet). He has screwed over every shop that has ever done work for him and you will be hard pressed to find anyone in the industry to say a kind word about him. His brother Wade on the other hand is one of the nicest stand-up guys you will ever meet.

The bottom line is that Todd and Special Weapons are NOT SHOOTERS! They just don't care...Todd is in it for the money and nothing else. When we made recommendations to him on how to make the guns cheaper and better for the end users (like the 9mm using Uzi mags) his response was "Fuck'em if they can't afford MP-5 mags" actually his reply to alot of things was "Fuck'em" and is just what he’ll do to you if you let him. The Special Weapons line of guns is a crapshoot. You might get the finest weapon you have ever owned or you could get the most expensive paperweight you have ever owned. BUYER BEWARE!
View Quote

So, Garry, when are you going to start producing polymer receiver CAV-3's, CAV-5's, CAV-45's, and of course, CAV-91's? [:D] Hmmmmmm? We wannem, and you should be a better candidate to buy from than Todd. I wouln't buy a SW anything, but I really want you to make use some polymer HK clones. The Uzi mags(or maybe Sten) make sense to me too. Let us know, man, there's a market for this, and I would be first on the list. I'm already going to live on beans for a while to buy a CAV-15. Pleeeeze? [:D]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Garand Shooter, he can make CAV-10's AFTER he makes us(me) our CAV-5's. End of story. Not that it's a bad idea, but HK clones come before Armalite clones, my friend.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I own an SW5-FSUP and love it!!

It is a great gun.

The Failure rate is .5%  Not Bad at all!

I wish my AR-15 was that reliable.

http://www.geocities.com/jay_cardin/HTML/Firearms/SW5.htm
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#20]
300ydClean
When I first saw your post that says you have a PSG1(!!) and a Hesse, I thought "this guy is full of sh!t" No one could take "slumming" to that level I thought.

Then I looked in my own gun safe and saw my 2 Heckler & Koch SR9 T's, 4 Steyr AUG's, IMI UZI Model A, and Blaser R93 LRS(!)... and misc other not so expensive weapons of the assault and target bent.....and.....and...gag....a Hesse AR15 receiver (sh!t I thought I had you) that I plan on destroying in dramatic fashion as I am too ashamed to try and sell it to anyone because it's such a POS!!!

I guess I can't flame you after all. Birds of a feather.. for real here on AR15.COM.

But a PSG1!!! and a hesse..??? Whatsamatta with u?
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:18:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Rather than contribute to the Todd bash here I will strongly suggest that you build a kit gun with Protech. All the info can be found at HK91.com. If you email me personally I will help. These are so far superior to the SW3 it is not funny. Nevermind that they are actually a little cheaper too.
Link Posted: 3/11/2001 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Kevin@AR15com_1&2:
That a*shole has $137 of my money, he advertised having 64 40rd. mags so I ordered twoand give him all my address info in advance.  3 1/2 weeks go by and no mags come, I e-mailed him and here's his reply -

<<  What's going on?   >>

we are sold out of the mags we will try to find you mo and return it to you

>> I sent my m.o. on Feb. 1st for two 40rd. HK94 mags and I've received nothing so far or any communication.  Please let me know when and how my order was shipped?  If it hasn't been shipped, why hasn't it and when and how do you intend to ship it? <<

Guess what, still no m.o., I get so mad I can't stand it everytime I go to write a reply.  If it don't come I'm just going to turn him in for mail fraud.  He's just another Paul Podhorn in my book.  I didn't think anybody could be worse than Olympic Arms customer service but Tod has 'm beat by a mile!

Hey Tod - [-!-!-]

View Quote

Kevin, want to feel better? Go to HK91.com and then to marketplace. Add your experiences to one of Todds many "for sale" posts, like we do. You get to warn nice people so they don't get screwed and get to screw Todd a little at the same time. Cheapest therapy I know.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#23]
I almost caved and bought a SW5 this weekend! I held it, it looked good but I just kept thinking about the negative comments on them, so I passed. I can afford a HK but I dont want to spend that much for it. guess I'll look into the protech.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Please don't send Jim at Protech any more work right now.  I've been waiting 3 months for my darn conversion and he still hasn't gotten started on it.  :) When I sent it in he promised I would have it back in a "couple of weeks".  Last time I talked to him he was too busy to even get started on it.

Jim does great work, but if you think you're going to get your gun built in a reasonable amount of time, think again.
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#25]
 Hey Drew, thanks for taking it easy on me[:)]
Well, I will say that I work in a gunshop when I am not out on the railroad, rerailing wrecked trains, and I got into the PSG1 for 4700.00.
 It is a Vollmer conversion on an HK91, and is a real work of art except it dosen't have the coolness of being authentic(but think of the money that I saved!!!)
 The Ack Ack Ack Hess that I built, well last week we had some Hesse receivers and some Cetme kits laying around and I figured "What the hell"
 Geesh what an adventure that was, those Hesse receivers are absolute murder to get to work right. I put alot of hours into deburring,straightening the mag well, and getting the Cetme ejector to work in this thing that it almost wasn't worth it.
 I suffer from that"Hey, I wonder if this will work" syndrome, complicated by "Those look cool, I gotta get me one of those"symptoms.
 It's done and it's mine and it actually runs good and shoots atraight, so I am happy.

Later dude
 Chuck
Link Posted: 3/12/2001 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#26]
And you guys pick on Century guns.  For the price Special Weapons charges there shouldn't be any problems.  With the cheap prices Century charges you aren't out a fortune if there's a problem.  It's been my experience that they are more willing to fix your problem than what you guys describe about Special Weapons guns.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 9:58:18 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm in the process of building my first Ar, untill i saw the ad in Shot Gun News for this company called Special Weapons that had MP5 clones. I have saved up some cash but it seems that these guns are JUNK. I will admit, thank god I found out before it was bought. So I want a MP5 clone(can't afford a real one), Perferably one that looks like the SD model, where can I find one?
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 12:04:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
So did anyone else get a little "love note" from Todd ([email protected]) for posting a less that happy response to him and his products or was it just me?

It would appear that I am a crook and have a bad reputation in the gun industry (?) and both myself and my products are "shit". Man I'm glad he pointed that out to me, I didn't know. He also pointed out that he did $3 Million last year (good for you Todd, your giving Lorcin a run for their money)
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!!

Well, we know how honest Todd is, so it must be the truth!  Just like the time he was going to buy H&K (the real thing), and shut down all HK related site that had banned him!  I guess that never quite worked out for him.

Todd's in his own little world, he is so out of touch with his customers, and apparently his fellow gun makers that he would make such a claim.  Too bad he doesn't realize that buyers actually respect you, and wouldn't hesistate buying from you.  Or maybe he realizes that, and he's just pissed because he failed Business 101, as well as Social Skills 101.
Link Posted: 3/15/2001 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top