Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 6:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
That is one freaking sweet ass AK.

I would like to know more about the red dot and what kind of mount you are using.

Seriously, if it shoots half as good as it looks, you did good.

+1

Awesome work.

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:39:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not my taste, but it looks fine, and your pictures are quite good.

I voted "nice."

Thanks Greenfeet. Its still a great compliment.

Link Posted: 1/1/2009 8:42:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
That is one freaking sweet ass AK.

I would like to know more about the red dot and what kind of mount you are using.

Seriously, if it shoots half as good as it looks, you did good.

+1

Awesome work.

Thanks Man.

Heres the details about the sight:

LaRue makes the Irondot System. Its a burris Fastfire Optic with LaRue's Custom made mount and optics casing. It replaces your rear sight. The cool thing is it has a built in rear sight so "IF" the optic were to fail the built in rear sight can be utilized. The system is setup to Co-Witness the Red dot to the irons.

You can get them here:
http://stores.homestead.com/Larueta...tail.bok?no=134

Heres a review as well:
http://www.tacticalgunfan.com/index...d=299&Itemid=70

The cost is $290 shipped. You get the mount, and the optic. Not a bad deal considering a Burris Fastfire runs $210 by itself.

I have been giving mine sort of a torture test. Fog, Heavy rain, complete darkness, street lights, moon light, direct sunlight, under the shade, not cleaning the lens, testing battery life, bumping the sight around, ect. I have put about 1K through the rifle since the Irondot has been installed. Its held up perfecly. The mounting system has about the same amount of play as the factory rear sights do, but if bumped it returns to center and ZERO. They use some kind of magnet built into the mount to put even more holding force on the mount. Pretty nifty idea.

I went from 6-8" groups at 100 meters with irons to consistently shooting 4" or better at 100 meters. I was going to sell the rifle before mounting the Irondot. I dont like rifles that arent accurate enough to apply @ 200 meters. Its a keeper now.

So far im getting about 150 hrs of use off the battery, and the sight has held up in all conditions. No failures yet.

When its completely dark the dot does blink rapidly, like a lasermax laser. The sight has a built in dot adjuster that senses the ambient light and adjusts accordingly. Some people dont like it but I have no issues with it.

When it gets wet (moisture or water drops on the lens) you do have to concentrate more on the dot. The lens get busy with the water on it but it still works.

In bright light the dot is easy to see and is very crisp.

Larues mounting system is VERY robust and protects the sight extremely well.

I plan on doing a full torture test in the water (puddle, mud, sand, rain, ect) when i have time, and conditions permit. I will post my results when complete.

I think its a great sight for the AK. Ive been a gunsmith for a long time so my B.S. meter goes off when I handle inferior products, and this isnt one.

Let me know If I can help further.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:26:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Very, very nice.

How do you think the Larue Irondot would work with front sights that have the full circle shroud? (chinese mak-90 to be specific)
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Very, very nice.

How do you think the Larue Irondot would work with front sights that have the full circle shroud? (chinese mak-90 to be specific)

Thanks for the compliment Atomicfacepalm

It wont be a problem. Your sight picture will be a little more busy but the optic dot will be right above tour front sight post when viewing.

If that bothers you the full circle hood can be removed to emulate other AK sights. Its easy to do. I have done several at the shop.
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 9:46:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I really appreciate all of the compliments on my work AR15.com. This thread was very kind to me considering I posted in General Discussion. I was expecting much worse, but I am plesantly suprised.

Thanks you all for Voting, Looking , and taking the time to comment on my work.

If anyone has any questions about my rifle feel free to post or I.M. me.

Thanks everyone, and Thanks Ed Sr. for having the best site on the net.

Chad
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll go ahead and speak for the rest of ARFCOM here, and say "you're welcome.  Now, stop lollygaggin' and hurry up with the full torture test.  ARFCOM has spoken."

edited:  one thing I really have to know is this:  how well will it stand up to being mounted on a rifle that's thrown down a driveway?
Link Posted: 1/1/2009 10:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll go ahead and speak for the rest of ARFCOM here, and say "you're welcome.  Now, stop lollygaggin' and hurry up with the full torture test.  ARFCOM has spoken."

edited:  one thing I really have to know is this:  how well will it stand up to being mounted on a rifle that's thrown down a driveway?

Thanks man. Ill get to testing the optic soon.

I cant dothe driveway test though. Im not that retarded.

Link Posted: 1/17/2009 10:37:34 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys are great thanks again for the compliments. I appreciate the messages and will always be glad to answer any questions anyone has.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:00:10 PM EDT
[#10]
iam his brother and all his guns are the shit and look very nice anyone who says this gun or any of his other guns look like shit need to be t-baged o yea GET SOME!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
iam his brother and all his guns are the shit and look very nice anyone who says this gun or any of his other guns look like shit need to be t-baged o yea GET SOME!!!

I love you Bro. You are crazy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:08:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Now THAT'S a zombie fighting weapon extrordinaire! I love it!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:10:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks WhirlyGirl45

Very kind of you.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:48:11 PM EDT
[#14]
very nice
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#15]
sexy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Beautiful AK!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#17]
I wish I could own such a beauty in CT..
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks WhirlyGirl45

Very kind of you.

I am damning it with faint praise! thats the prettiest AK I have ever seen....I want one!

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:27:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Gorgeous.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:30:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Well done.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#21]
...droool
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Gorgeous.

Thanks Tate
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:33:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well done.

Thanks Man!

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks WhirlyGirl45

Very kind of you.

I am damning it with faint praise! thats the prettiest AK I have ever seen....I want one!

Cant you own an AK in CT if its not in 7.62x39?
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
very nice

Thanks man!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Beautiful AK!

Thank you very much!

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
sexy!

Thanks

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sexy!

Thanks

Holy crap dude, you've been whoring that rifle out for over a month now!1!!!!1!

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:40:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
sexy!

Thanks

Holy crap dude, you've been whoring that rifle out for over a month now!1!!!!1!

I thought the thread was dead dude, but my weener brother joined and made a post. He brought it back like a zombie.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:48:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I have an under folding Yugo M70 that had a highly polished, pimptastic, bolt carrier like yours, but I had mine media blasted to a dull gray.  Otherwise, that's an absolutely beautiful looking Kalashnikov you have there.

Nevertheless, I was a bit skeptical of the sight at first because it completely replaced the rear sight.  Then I noticed it has a back up notch mounted on there, and became enticed by it.

Speaking of which, have you shot groups using the back up irons it comes with?  If so, how does it rate?  It seems rather spartan, as I'm assuming it's not adjustable in any way.  But I'm namely asking because I have great faith in Murphy's law, and will never completely trust any optic regardless of how many rave reviews it gets.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Well I do like AKs, and yours is a very nice one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#32]
The furniture is very nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:29:25 PM EDT
[#33]
You shore got a puurrty AK.

Seriously, I'm not enamored with the AK's looks in general, But that one is sweet.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:32:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Very Nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#35]
You bastard, now I must buy one.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
VERY nice, dude. I need to get some pics of my Arsenal 107UR that I just did some furniture for. Mine didn't come out as nice as yours though and I KNEW I should have used the high gloss instead of the satin.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:41:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
VERY nice, dude. I need to get some pics of my Arsenal 107UR that I just did some furniture for. Mine didn't come out as nice as yours though and I KNEW I should have used the high gloss instead of the satin.

Post pics man! You can polish out that satin finish to get a high gloss. A bench bufffer and in a picnh you could use a car buffer or hand buff it with a rag like polishing a boot.

Thanks for the compliments

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The furniture is very nice.

Thanks ArmyInfantryVet
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You shore got a puurrty AK.

Seriously, I'm not enamored with the AK's looks in general, But that one is sweet.

Thats a great thing to say. Thanks man.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:43:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You bastard, now I must buy one.

I try not to be a bastard, but I cant help it

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:46:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have an under folding Yugo M70 that had a highly polished, pimptastic, bolt carrier like yours, but I had mine media blasted to a dull gray.  Otherwise, that's an absolutely beautiful looking Kalashnikov you have there.

Nevertheless, I was a bit skeptical of the sight at first because it completely replaced the rear sight.  Then I noticed it has a back up notch mounted on there, and became enticed by it.

Speaking of which, have you shot groups using the back up irons it comes with?  If so, how does it rate?  It seems rather spartan, as I'm assuming it's not adjustable in any way.  But I'm namely asking because I have great faith in Murphy's law, and will never completely trust any optic regardless of how many rave reviews it gets.

I understand you skepticism about the optic. I have had fantastic results with the LaRue Irondot. With using th Irons I can keep the groups between 6-8" @ 100 meters. With the dot on it does half of that group wise. Im torture testing it now. The whole rifle took a bath in a mud puddle last week. Its still going strong.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:50:14 PM EDT
[#42]
I HATE IT! I hate it so much that I will let you pick One of my  3 Colt AR15s  - even steven for that rifle! Let me know!...

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Post pics man! You can polish out that satin finish to get a high gloss. A bench bufffer and in a picnh you could use a car buffer or hand buff it with a rag like polishing a boot.

I will probably just strip it and start over with the color and poly clear. The grip didn't come out as close a match to the rest as I had hoped. I AM getting better at staining/finishing though I think. A setup from Ironwood is on my "Next" list.

Crappy indoors low light pic

And yes, I plan SBR'ing it when I get the extra cash.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#44]
How's the cheek weld with the under folder?
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
How's the cheek weld with the under folder?

The cheek weld is good, not great though. My fixed stock AK's are mush more shooter friendly. I currently have some paracord wrapped on the left rail to make the metal less cold, and raises the weld a 1/8".

The underfolder is cool and it takes some getting used to.
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:05:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I HATE IT! I hate it so much that I will let you pick One of my  3 Colt AR15s  - even steven for that rifle! Let me know!...

DrDeath,

You have to be crazy to trade a nice colt for an AK, even mine. I like the way you hate it I really like the rifle now that it has the Irondot. If I decide to trade her up, I will honestly let you know. I had planned on selling her due to finances being tight, if I do sell her Alaskacajun had asked a while back so it would be his for the taking first.

Gun repairs have really slowed down, so my gunmsithing job is taking a hit. My fulltime job pays the bills but the food is paid for by the part time gig fixing guns.

We always have alot of AK work, but the economy seems to be hurting pretty bad.

I really appreciate the compliments.

Chad  
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:09:46 PM EDT
[#47]
I voted, but forgot if it was DO WANT or I HATE YOU.  Almost looks too purdy!
Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I will probably just strip it and start over with the color and poly clear. The grip didn't come out as close a match to the rest as I had hoped. I AM getting better at staining/finishing though I think. A setup from Ironwood is on my "Next" list.

Crappy indoors low light pic

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c48/austinbelair/107UR.jpg

And yes, I plan SBR'ing it when I get the extra cash.

BEAUTIFUL RIFLE, Nutro!

Theres nothing wrong with your wood setup. You could easily put a couple of hand rubbed poly layers on and buff those out. If you recide to strip them you can apply heat to the wood and bring out the grain. Heres my SKS and PSL I burned.

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I voted, but forgot if it was DO WANT or I HATE YOU.  Almost looks too purdy!

Either one is good! Thanks man!

Link Posted: 1/28/2009 10:25:35 PM EDT
[#50]
too damn clean to be a real AK, it's gotta be an Airsoft gun!!!

Seriously: that thing is too damn pretty to shoot, at least drag it across some rocks and weather it a little. lol
Page / 9
Top Top